Running Tips?

Options
cyn97g279d
cyn97g279d Posts: 1 Member
edited August 2023 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi, I’m Kiwi. I’m a 24 year old female who works at a desk job for 8 hours a day. Since I’ve worked at this job, I’ve gained 32lbs making me 282lbs now. I’ve decided I want to start running for cardio, just to slim down. Is there a method to the madness? How do you run and not get tired? Is a “runner’s high” a real thing? Any advice helps. I’m not very active, but I’d like to be.

Replies

• chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    At your weight I WOULDN'T start running especially if you've not done it as an activity before. I impact on your joints and feet could be very tough to just deal with in recovery. Walking briskly is a better option until you get to a weight that's more managble.

Mostly right, but I say go ahead and "run" you can call it whatever you want. Even if your first "run" is slow walking for five minutes, brisk walking for one minute, and "running" for ten seconds. If that was your first run, congrats.

Yes, become a runner. Running is great. Your path is unique for your situation. Be smart, don't injury yourself, have fun. He left out it is for "fitness and health" and mental health. You'll be happier.

It's your plan, call yourself a runner, and get started.

There are 100s of people today on MFP who run and have dealt with obesity and injury. You are in a good place to start.
  • TpolFern
    TpolFern Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm just a few pounds lighter than you, I am steadily losing weight, through diet and supported by exercise however I shied away from running as I'm just too heavy, and it just killed my knees! What I do, which might be of interest to you once you feel more like moving (I agree the other posters with the walking to start with btw), is slow running/slow jogging - there are tons of resources on the web about it. Barefoot type shoes or really low heel profile shoes are best because of the recommended running style i.e. not heel first.

I recently started with a podcast I found from the UK's National Health Service, 'Couch to 5K'. OMG, this is the first time I've been ABLE to do what's been suggested in a couch to 5K. Usually they're all for having you sprint out of the blocks. This one is good. Ddownlaod them here https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/running-and-aerobic-exercises/get-running-with-couch-to-5k/

You CAN do it. I can, and I don't say that lightly. It's not onerous, you won't get out of breath and you'll get a very real sense of achievement

In the meantime, just get out and walk. Can you get in a good walk in your lunch hour? I think it's also about making time in your day and your week for walking, and making it a habit. Are there any walking groups near you that you could think about joining? Hill walking? Nordic walking? Just throwing ideas out ! Crossfit is another thing you might want to think about. It's not all uberfit people, everything is scaleable, and a good coach makes it really enjoyable. Something else to consider I guess.

Let us know how you get on.
  • sugarfreesquirrel
    sugarfreesquirrel Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Walking or swimming might be a better option for now
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Start with walking. Get to the point where you can walk briskly for 45 minutes or more before you start adding in short jogging intervals. You need to prepare your feet, muscles, tendons and bones for the impact that running has. You will get a good workout by walking at a fast pace and as stated above, you'll start to develop the habit of setting aside 30-60 minutes for exercise on a regular basis.
  • mrmota70
    mrmota70 Posts: 525 Member
    edited August 2023
    Options
    Literally learn to walk with purpose. If you want to run to loose weight yes it can help however if you’ve never run and don’t foresee it as something you’d enjoy there are plenty of other exercises less impactful that you may want to take up. I use to be a runner from my late teens to my late 20s. I took a 20+ year hiatus and I gained a whole grown man in that time. When I decided time to get off my a s s I literally walked for 11 months before attempting a single minute of very slow jogging. Weight and age were the big factors that I used to determine if could I do it at my age. I had a target weight I needed to hit before I attempted a jog. Then it was a good amount of treadmill jogs before i decided let’s do this for real. Outside with inclines declines uneven surfaces cars dogs people weather conditions etc etc… . Not once did I think I want to do what I did in my early 20s. That person is gone. I am who I am now and I’ll do what I can with my realities of a man twice the age of the guy in my late 20s.
  • scavonedan
    scavonedan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority here. Just get active in any smart and safe way you can. Talk to your Dr to discuss your plan as you may have some underlying health risks etc. If your company has a health program they may have access to a nutritionist or dietician. They can set you up with a program.
    Weight loss or weight management in its simplest form is really math. Calories in and calories out. So watch what you eat and how many you burn. A slow jog is fine but as some pointed out there is impact. Walk, bike, swim, all are options. Also, set some realistic expectations. Don't think you can just run for an hour and lose 100 lbs. Set a goal of being active for so many minutes a day. Set a goal of what you will or will not eat. Like go a week with no late evening snacks or something.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,628 Member
    Options
    You’re too heavy to run or jog. Walk instead and start taking in fewer calories.
  • Kimkimba
    Kimkimba Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I’ll tell you how I became a runner in her 50s starting at almost 240 pounds.

As an old heavy lady, my saggy arms along with the rest of my body were getting the best of me. I really needed to feel better. I started walking in my yard and my house with light weights doing various arm exercises. Then I got faster, stopped using the weights, and started jogging/walking intervals.

In the beginning my knees were weak and hurt. Now my knees are strong and pain free.

It’s been about a year and a half. Now I run about 25 miles a week. And I feel fantastic. I weigh in the 160s (at 5’9”) now.

If you want to be a runner just start slow. I never ever thought I’d be a runner.

Consistency is the key to building endurance so you don’t get tired. Actually consistency (and kindness) is the key to life. Just stick with it and it gets easier.
  • TxDesertFox
    TxDesertFox Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've seen runners of all sizes where I frequently run. I'm always happy to see people putting in the work whatever their reason may be. But if you're new to running, first I would recommend talking to your primary care doctor, especially if there are any health concerns you may be dealing with. Otherwise, start out slow, baby steps - start by walking and building up. I didn't get into running until I went to watch my aunt do a triathlon. At the time I was doing a lot of cardio but on the elliptical, then moved on to running a mile, increased the time on my feet between walking/running, and gradually build up. I'm now in the middle of training for my 6th marathon. But the key to prevent injury is to take it slow, but also don't forget to stretch and work in strength training.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited October 2023
    Options
    cyn97g279d wrote: »
    Hi, I’m Kiwi. I’m a 24 year old female who works at a desk job for 8 hours a day. Since I’ve worked at this job, I’ve gained 32lbs making me 282lbs now. I’ve decided I want to start running for cardio, just to slim down. Is there a method to the madness? How do you run and not get tired? Is a “runner’s high” a real thing? Any advice helps. I’m not very active, but I’d like to be.
    • Shoes. Be kind to your to your feet. If you start running at a higher weight then you need to make sure your shoes have a good cushion so you don't hurt yourself. Shoes help you avoid impact injuries. The wrong shoes can cause so much pain.
    • Start small. Work your way up slowly.
    • Warm up before running. Mostly leg stretching--like leg lifts.
    • When you start running, don't over do. It's okay to run a minute, walk three minutes, run a minute at the start.
    • On days you don't run, you may want to do other exercises.

Maybe look at something like Couch to 5K. It is a very gradual start.

• KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Coach 5o5k and sven better if you can find a running group that is running sessions that fit. ,y run club runs a couch to 5k progression every spring. Accountability and social support can really help.

Consistency is key. Dont go all out and get injured. Slow and gradual.

If you have a parkrun or similar these can be great from walking to building up to running. I find them so supportive and friendly
  • Morgan_1893
    Morgan_1893 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There's a few different topics in your question. If you're interested in losing weight, any bit of cardio that challenges your body with a healthy approach to eating will help you lose those pounds. You can help improve your cardio endurance on a treadmill or elliptical or a brisk walk outside with hills etc. for an hour each day. You can build up to jogging or running intervals until you are able to run the entire time but that doesn't mean you have to run everyday. You can walk or do the elliptical or rower etc. on alternate days. Running is terrific for your heart health but walking and elliptical routines actually burn more fat I've noticed. You can really trim down just by walking regularly and challenging yourself on those walks. It's whatever you're comfortable with. We don't know your level of fitness or history with fitness so the advice will be very simple. Once you're conditioned for this everyday you can build on that but eating well is very important for weightloss. Just eat real food, really limit any highly processed or substitute packaged products.
  • xbowhunter
    xbowhunter Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    I used to run 1/2 marathons and loved it.

However, I did develop a few nagging inquiries that I am still dealing with in my everyday life. Mainly Sciatica problems and shin splints. They are no fun!

Now I speed walk with the dog daily and lift 3x per week. Much happier now and I will never even attempt to run again. Not worth the risk of re-injuring myself...