weightloss help

Options
hi so I'm 5'7 and roughly 155lbs. I've been trying to get down to 120 since May but changed my goal to 130 for something more realistic I guess. I did pretty good eating 1200 calories a day (still my goal now) and got to about 145 and gained almost all of it bsck (started at 160). I recently was thinking and I need to get in shape so I don't get winded from running for even a minute and so I can look in the mirror without feeling ashamed. over summer, I had band camp. marching and playing woodwind 12h a day which the app said I'd burn like 1500-2000 calories a day and I drank like 2 gallons of water every day of it (lasted 2 weeks), I weighed myself before and after. before: 145 after: 150. this happened to most of my friends to. when I got home I'd eat dinner and go to bed and idk what went wrong. I need help please. what can I do??

Replies

• DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    What you can do is educate yourself about nutrition and weight loss that last. A good place to start is to read:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300319/most-helpful-posts-health-and-weight-loss-must-reads#latest

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Most likely, the weight gain was just water. If you were marching outside in the sun, sweating heavily and drinking gallons of water to make up, your body was probably holding on to water to keep from being dehydrated. Your body also held on to water to repair muscle that was strained by unaccustomed exercise. If they fed you at camp, you were probably eating a lot of carbs. Carbs take water to digest properly, which can also cause a temporary weight gain. Give it a week or two and see whether your body drops the water weight.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Yeah, what spiriteagle said. Also, travel and heat cause water retention and your time of the month can affect it too. Lots of things could be happening at one time.

120 would be really low, and I don't think you'd really be able to maintain that. How about shooting for mid-range in your BMI, so more like 135-140. You'll look good and it will be easier to keep up while still allowing food.

1200 is way too low. Shoot for 1600-1700 PLUS 200-400 more on days you exercise (like band practice.)