πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘πŸ‘I've lost over 115 LBS thanks to MFP -Pics- Maintaining now- TY to the 5% Challenge!

Options
dm6vx63ngxy1.png
The above was me at 288 lbs back when I first decided it was time to lose the weight!! I had health issues, and some improved.

If you are new or have begun recently to lose weight, Please keep an outfit you have on in a picture so you can also do this type of picture. I had belonged to Sparkpeople (now closed, we found MFP instead!! GREAT MATCH!! We are so happy!).

I am now hovering between 170 to 174 since April!! To say I am shocked and pleased is beyond all descriptive words!

1dauofsnciyh.png

How did I lose this? I found an online group for free with Sparkepeople (closed) as I did so I was invited to the 2011 Winter 5% Challenge. Little did I know the tremendous support I'd find!! They helped me to see I did not need to cut out all junk food (let's face it one doesn't hit almost 300 lbs without adoring junk food!) to this day I STILL ADORE JUNK FOOD!! What changed? I have learned healthy habits and exercise I could do at my own pace, as my body would tolerate it. On the 5% Challenge when we first join there are 8 teams, and we are to immediately pick one of them. Each team has its own personality, but they all are otherwise the same. Keep in mind the challenge does run for 8 weeks all members are expected to be active with reporting to their team either daily (many we know can not do this) or at the very least once a week (with your daily (it's fine to take time off to recover etc as long as you report weekly and weigh in weekly).

In the past 8 weeks, my health has continued to play games with me. I am in congestive heart failure, it's a hard balance for us to regulate the fluid my body happily collects. Breathing can be an issue even more so in the summer when the humidity is high, as we all know this past summer has been very hot for many in the US though not where I live. Indeed I live in the northeast (Maine) where we've exceeded all records of rainfall. I've struggled so much. This is where my team came in. They encouraged me to eat well, and to exercise only as I could, maintaining a positive outlook. Without the support I found I'm fearful I'd of gained some weight back because it's not easy being chronically ill. I also have chronic kidney disease though it's affecting my body, it's not an advanced state, I am thankful my team (and real-life family/friends) are all here for me.

As you read this did you say "OH I WISH I had something like this!!! Where do I find it? How do I join?" I had those years ago when I read this from another member of the 5% Challenge.

Here's how: Below is the link to the 2023 Summer 5% Challenge. Please click on it, after you do please refer to πŸ–‹οΈPlz Read First & Reply as well as the 8 teams' descriptions (Some will close as they fill up, if so please pick one that is still accepting members as of 9/3/23 all teams are open with one about to close within likely the next day or 2). ALSO is the option to let us pick a team for you!! That's always exciting also!! To read about the teams here's the feed name: πŸ’‘πŸ’‘Start Here - You Must Choose a TeamπŸ’‘πŸ’‘in there you can click on the team you wish to join directly.

Here's the link to the 2023 FALL 5% Challenge where we want to help you to write your own journey story!! I LOVE MINE!!

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145341-2023-fall-5-community-team-plz-join-us

Replies

• katiecondy1
    katiecondy1 Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    through a lot of changes and challenges this great group has not only helped me find a healthier way of life..but have boosted my spirits, supported me in dark days and helped me thru some of the darkest hours of my life!! More than just a Lose Weight site ..it is a all round support and encourage you type gathering of positive people.. Come on and Join us..
  • Grannysue91
    Grannysue91 Posts: 4,625 Member
    Options
    These 5% challenges have helped a lot of us. Diane's story is an amazing one. She has worked hard to lose the weight and continue to lose weight or maintain it despite medical problems she has encountered during her journey. Try a 5% Challenge and see what happens for you.
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    These 5% challenges have helped a lot of us... Try a 5% Challenge and see what happens for you.

Thanks @Grannysue91 What is it about these that work for you? Tell me a bit more?

• Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,082 Member
    Options
    These 5% challenges have helped a lot of us... Try a 5% Challenge and see what happens for you.

Thanks @Grannysue91 What is it about these that work for you? Tell me a bit more?

Chris, we work on healthy eating habits, and exercise based on where we are at (some are new to exercise) but we are flexible to everyones needs. Please click on the link above, it's a public team. You can look over the team before joining. TY for asking.
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,764 Member
    Options
    Diane you are a true inspiration to so many and an example of how through determination, dedication, positive support and encouragement anything is possible.

My past history has proven that I typically regain all that I lose, plus some, faster than l lose it. So After losing 60+lbs and reaching maintenance weight I knew I would struggle keeping it off. I thought the 5% Challenge was only for those wanting to lose weight and I did not need or want to lose 5% so I didn't think it was for me. I was strongly encouraged to give it a shot for one challenge and see how it worked. Three years later and I have never looked back! I have been able to keep off most of the weight. And even though this year I have experienced the most incredible moments of my life I have also experienced the most devastating. My team has supported me every step of the way both cheering me on when things were good and giving me support and encouragement to keep on going when things were bad and I was ready to throw in the towel and give up.

If you are ready to start working on some healthy habits and incorporate exercise at your own level while losing or maintaining weight in a positive supportive environment please join the 2023 Fall 5% Challenge.

Just click on the link above to join and don't forget to choose a team after joining.

Hope to see you in the Fall!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,082 Member
    Options
    @Catwmncat your life story is AMAZING!! Your before and after pics are what we all hope to achieve!! As you mentioned maintaining the weight loss after hitting the goal is the hardest part, and you are showing it CAN BE DONE!! It's thanks to your example that I decided it was time for me to give my body a break and do it. I may go back to losing 8 to 10 lbs over time. TY TY for your comment!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!