Should I bulk, cut, or recomp?

Options
s64x5r12ob6j.jpeg
gquvz3ye73hi.jpeg
hnldyooih3l2.jpeg

Looking for advice on whether I should bulk, cut, or recomp at this point! I’ve been attempting a slight caloric deficit over the past year (slow cut) because I wanted to lose 10-15 lbs. I did, but now I still want to be able to see my abs more and just look more toned overall. But I also want to add more muscle, especially in the glutes.

Replies

• spacetreemonkey
    spacetreemonkey Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think that's up to you!
  • Retroguy2000
    Retroguy2000 Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Looking good. I'd say it's your choice. If you lost a few more pounds, you'd probably see more of that definition you're looking for. OTOH, I suspect maybe you're bored of cutting. There's nothing wrong with a change, it gives a good mental break.

Your body fat looks low enough that you could do a lean bulk, but I think that may be counter to your goals. A better option imo would be to maingain for a while, i.e. eat around maintenance or a very lean bulk (100-200 surplus), and push the lifting hard. Then in 3-6 months, re-evaluate, and maybe then you'll be in the mindset to cut a few pounds if you want to.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    If you want to look leaner (toned) you’ll need to cut. That means a deficit. You won’t add muscle however you can maintain it which is probably where you need to focus. Less fat and maintained muscle for you and you’ll look leaner and more muscular.

You’re in the camp of losing 10 lbs of fat and it’ll look like you added 10lbs of muscle.

Proper training and plenty of protein and a cal deficit and you’re good to go.
  • williamsonmj1
    williamsonmj1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    It's really up to you. Whichever route you go, you are going to be in the same place in 18-24 months so it's largely a matter or ordering.

What I can say is:

1) I don't think it will take you too long to get great results if you decide to cut. You've obviously got good muscular development and your body fat is very reasonable. 2-3 months of cutting, you are probably going to look amazing.

2) I have been cutting lately and it's been great. It's so good liking what you see in the mirror, and liking it more every couple of days. I am also looking forward to a moderate bulk when I am done with this, but this is great.

• atlewis31
    atlewis31 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Now that we are heading more into winter and you are wanting to add more muscle now would be a good time to start a slight caloric surplus. If you know roughly what your maintenance would be add 50-100 calories to it and stay consistent with that and exercise until after the first of the year.

After that you can start back with a deficit to get lean and ready for summer. 💪🏼
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I'd have you cut then after you reach that goal, reassess what you want to do next.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 35+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png