At what age should you fly the nest?

Options

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 18 when I left for the military. When I got out of the military I moved back in for a time to get my things in order, pay off some debt, start school, etc. I think I lived at home for about a year after I got out of the military...I was 22/23 y.o. and I paid my parents a small amount in rent and provided for my own food for the most part. As soon as I was able I moved out with some friends and rented a house.
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    However... if they choose to sit around and not achieve anything, they'll be out the day they graduate highschool.

Yeah. I won't be providing any hammocks.

But they are welcome to stay as long as they are on plan - whatever that is as long as it makes sense to me.
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    18.... I can't imagine wanting to stick around at home after that. Time to get out, learn and forage on your own. I moved out at 18 then when my roomate bailed I had to move back for a bit due to financial burden... but moved out again 6 months later. It's about finding yourself and making your own life.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    As soon as possible.

I find dating very difficult because I am a woman who owns a home. I do not want to date a man who lives with his parents. If you are over 30 and living with your parents, that is seriously pathetic. If you are taking care of a sick parent or you own a home and your parent(s) live with you, that's a little different. But at 30+, if you do not have your life together, you should NOT be dating.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, what is the age that you think you should move out of the parental home and do your own thing?

I know that most times money will be a problem because you can not fund a place of your own....

,,,but let us suppose that you had the money and opportunity to move out of the parental home...would you stay or would you go and what age do you think is right?

Maybe you are a parent and you do not want your kids to leave?

Of course if you go away to College then during College in you will live away. But unless you have a conflict with Your Parents' Rules then there is no rush to move out UNLESS they want you to. If Parent(s) and Child (ren) get along and feel comfortable with the set-up ENJOY. Now where the problem will come in (especially with males) is what OTHER people think, especially the opinion of women he dates. For many women, a man living with Parents after, say 27-30 yrs old may indicate to them that he has a problem with independence, may be cheap and/or lazy, may be weak in some manner or can not "finn" for himself, as well as many other psychological and emotional problems. Sorry guys, but women STILL expect you to "light up the world" and conquer it, living at home in your Dad's or Mom's success does NOT give an Alpha Male image or even a Beta Male positive image. Strangely, it is acceptable for a woman to stay home until she gets married or for Life.

I moved out after College and Law School, and a couple yrs of saving money...about 26 yrs. old. Had enough maturity, financial knowledge and experience to take care of Myself. It was a good decision to wait a minute.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    In your opinion, what is the age that you think you should move out of the parental home and do your own thing?
    15, 16.

If you can work and drive, gtfo.

That's what I did.

ETA - Children staying longer is why we have so many special snowflakes and a messed up society.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and still living at home. Since I working in the same town my parents live in, there's no point moving 2 minutes down the road and pay $400 a month in rent just for the sake of moving out of home.
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm 21 and still living at home. Since I working in the same town my parents live in, there's no point moving 2 minutes down the road and pay $400 a month in rent just for the sake of moving out of home.

It would be cheaper for me to live with my parents too, only I'm 47. Where do you draw the line? There just comes a point when people should strike out on their own. It's part of growing up.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options

It would be cheaper for me to live with my parents too, only I'm 47. Where do you draw the line? There just comes a point when people should strike out on their own. It's part of growing up.

I have moved out of home, twice in fact. I moved back once on my mothers request because of serious mental health problems and a second time because I lost my job and my flat in the Christchurch earthquake. I'll move out when I've finished my studying and feel secure in my mental health. I don't see how still living at home is somehow stunting my growth, or stopping me from growing up. I pay bills, do my own cooking, washing, cleaning, pay for my own car and fuel. The only thing I don't do is live with flatmates instead of family.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Great question! The child can stay as long as he/she has a job or goes to college. There might be other house rules.

Both of our kids were asked *cough* to leave because they didn't follow house rules. Daughter was 19 1/2 and son was 18 1/2.
  • thesifter
    thesifter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    17 1/2 go on an adventure around the world. That will create some "character". ( I did this)
  • learnerdriver
    learnerdriver Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I finished uni- 21. My partner moved out and never went back when he started uni- he;s told our DD 16 LOL
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I left at 18 (when I went to uni).
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I went to college directly after high school. I had some help from my parents but school was mostly covered by scholarships and student loans that I paid off. I went home the summer after my freshman year but never lived at home again after that. And I've had a job since I was 16.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I think it's a personal matter to decide on a case by case basis. My brother shared a home with my mom until he was about 32. He didn't stay because he's some loser slacker, he stayed because she couldn't afford the place on her own. I think it's unfair to judge any situation based only on age. There can be a lot of factors. Multi-generational homes are not at all uncommon these days.

I moved out permanently at 24 when I was finally able to find a job that paid enough that I could afford to survive on my own. I paid rent (1/4 of mortgage and utilities) from the day I graduated high school when I was 19.
  • walleyclan1
    walleyclan1 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    When you graduate high school
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I think a child should wait until they finish school & have a stable job that can support them financially unless there are major personality conflicts at home. I moved out when I was 21 & moved directly in with my husband. It was the first time I'd lived away from my family. I have never lived alone. I have 4 children & definitely want them to stay until they are financially stable. They could live here forever--I have a big house :happy: . I could never push them out of the house at 18. My daughter just turned 15 & although she's super smart & independent, I would never want to see her out on her own struggling to live & eat instead of concentrating on her education. She needs to have a good career so when I'm old & feeble she has a nice place for me to come & live with her :laugh: .
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    I moved out at age 18. Again at 21 and again at 24. The last time I moved back I realized I was being unrealistic and instead of looking for a "temporary place" I bought a house. :) I will encourage my kids to build their credit, finish school, and invest in equity. I draw the line if they are still seeking this after mid twenties, and are not pursing a career or education.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I left home at 18 when I moved away to university and never moved back. I expect the same of my kids. Only exception is if they genuinely want to attend a university that is within commuting distance of our house, in which case I'll happily save the rent money and have them living at home. But they'll be doing their own damn laundry and cleaning.
  • Dunkirk
    Dunkirk Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Depends on you, your family, and circumstances. My husband and I have 5 children, aged 19 to 29. Currently they (and the dog) are all at home, but my husband and I moved out. The reason is his work took him to another state. We would be happy living together as a family, if work permitted it. They all do their own laundry, from their teens. At time the chiildren have lived away due to work, study or travel.