At what age should you fly the nest?

Options

Replies

• asimmons221
    asimmons221 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and live at home, I also work full time and go to school, and could give zero f*cks.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    As soon as possible.

I find dating very difficult because I am a woman who owns a home. I do not want to date a man who lives with his parents. If you are over 30 and living with your parents, that is seriously pathetic. If you are taking care of a sick parent or you own a home and your parent(s) live with you, that's a little different. But at 30+, if you do not have your life together, you should NOT be dating.

Harsh. haha. You should move out when you can afford to. Not everywhere has a place with cheap rent or a low deposit. Here in Korea, the normal deposit on a small studio apartment is a $15,000-$20,000 deposit. In the USA, it may be $100-$500. It takes YEARS to save up for an apartment deposit and then you are still paying $500-1000/month after.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    there is no one age.
    My fiance and his friends they all stayed at home until they got married/engaged.
    Which I thought was odd, but they're all happy so no judging.

Some people it's better to get out early.

Just have a plan and don't take advantage?
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and live at home, I also work full time and go to school, and could give zero f*cks.

amen.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Not until they are ready, which will look different for each child.
    My children will be "mature" long before they actually leave, I expect, because at our house we train them to work, to have good character, how to handle money, how to conduct themselves and stay out off the "wrong path."
    Their leaving home will just be a matter of timing some opportunity with their readiness.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it depends on a number of factors including income, family, location, etc etc etc.

i lived at college so when i was done and moved back in i got real tired of things quickly, and moved out after 6 months. i should've waited and saved more money and what not, but my parents made it impossible for me to enjoy living at home.

my brother will be 29 in november and lives at home. he doesn't care... but he hasn't been saving money either. and he's now finding it a little difficult to date girls because of this fact.

then again, it's new york city, and there are a lot of late twenties/early-thirties people living at home because it's so expensive to move out. but then again, i bet those people that complain that it's expensive don't save money or very little of it.
  • BattleTaxi
    BattleTaxi Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I am 27, I have my degrees, I have a full time with benefits job and I live at home. Culturally that is normal for my family. It really depends on your situation. Moving out ASAP before you can financially support yourself is not necessarily the best thing.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    ASAP.... Too many entitled losers in today's society as is.
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    bump
  • connie_messina
    connie_messina Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    My daughters 20 and is moving to Australia in January, shes very independent very mature. its killing me but thats another story :(
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I moved out when I was 21, had a full time job, and got married.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    Seriously I think it depends on the situation. If the kid is a problem child, to save your relationship its probably a good idea for them to bounce the coop. If you've got a smart, very mature kid thats working and can financially handle it somehow, then they would be okay out there as well. However, anywhere in between and they should stick around as long as they can... its just easier that way :)
  • StarChanger
    StarChanger Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 15, couch surfed for a couple years, finally was able to get my own apartment, etc. Never went back home and never got any help.

I think there is a LOT to be said for letting life hit you right in the face at an early age...it teaches you, very quickly, who YOU are as a person.

That which does not kill you....
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I agree wholeheartedly with what others have posted, that everyone's situations are different, and as such, there isn't any proper age to leave home.

I am 24 and still live at home - and honestly my parents could care less. But I am far from a slacker - I have a job and am applying to various schools for nursing at the moment. As it stands, I can't afford to live on my own, and I wouldn't want my parents to be financially burdened supporting me out in the world when I can live here at virtually no cost, help out with the house and play with my little niece who comes over for a few hours to be babysat.

Everyone is different. If moving out at 18 or so worked out for you, then more power to you. And if you still live at home at 32, same thing.
  • jenjencin78
    jenjencin78 Posts: 4,415 Member
    Options
    I moved out 3 months before my 18th birthday to attend college and have been living on my own ever since. I think it all depends on the person, some may need a little more time at home. I've always been extremely independent and so it just seemed like the natural progression. Now that I have kids of my own I can say I wouldn't mind them living at home until they get married but that's probably not realistic haha!
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I personally moved out at a young age and don't regret it.

as far my child, id let her stay home as long as she needs too. I never want to see her struggle
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I think it's more about circumstances and culture than it is about age. There are many variables.
  • KRB28
    KRB28 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I moved out a week after my 22nd birthday. My boyfriend (now husband) bought a house and I moved in with him. I'm sure my parents would of let me stay if I needed. I can't say what I would do when my boys are older (only 2.5 and 7 months), I don't think I would want them being 25 or older and living in the basement or something but I don't think I'd want them out earlier than 18. If they are going to school that's a different story.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person and the situation.

I moved out when I turned 20, meaning that's when I stopped going home for the summer. I was in college at the time. I'd already been paying all of my own bills for awhile and I knew how to balance a checkbook and budget my money. I had a job and I was on scholarship. I managed to save money, stay out of debt, and graduate with honors. I wouldn't have had it any other way.

My brother on the other hand, was not at all ready to move out at 19. He was still living at home on and off when he was 25. Different people are ready at different times. I do think that it ought to be about what's good for the young person AND what's good for the parents. Ideally both parties would come to a mutual agreement and have a plan to implement it.
  • alliemarie77
    alliemarie77 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I moved out when I was 16.

My oldest son is a senior in high school, and is wanting to get a place with his friends. He works two jobs, and goes to school. His friends he wants to get a place with can't keep a job.

He wasn't disrespectful when he brought the subject up, and he explained his side of things. I listened to how he "thought" they were going to make it. I asked questions, and answered questions.

Eventually, he came to the conclusion on his own that he would finnish High School in my house, and come Summer he would get a place with his friends. He is hoping that by then those friends will have a steady job, car, and can support themselves.