Annie, lots of hugs. Thinking of you.
    Ginny and Kylia, stay warm...

Betsy in NW WA
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Saw a very unusual sight today. :o
    Heard a thump on our windows and then saw, out in the garden, what I thought was was birds mating. Strange time of year! Looking closer, I hadn't seen that bird in our garden before. Remember we are urban. Saw it pecking out feathers, and thought it was rough sex. Then realised it was some kind of buzzard, and had just caught a pigeon. The poor pigeon struggled for ages. :'(:s But the buzzard held on. And on. The crows started cawing, and a magpie got curious. I couldn't watch any longer.
    Truly nature red in tooth and claw.

755cqbmdi0qh.jpg
    Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,627 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    vpguryjx52kv.jpg
    This was our yard prior to last night.

Apparently, Snowman's story is he got tired of battling the wind and wanted to run away. Grinch wouldn't let him, so he knocked Grinch out and ran....then the wooden soldiers(aka trees) caught him in the backyard and laid him out.
    xuoz6seyzh98.jpg
    He is now warming up in garage to see how much damage he has from his escapades. 😉

SIL just left work. I swear she is the unhealthiest person I know.

Lisa eloquent as always and oh so true! As for Machka's cockroach I am with Machka. One lesson I learned in the Philippines was to turn on lights before entering a dark room, especially the bathroom. Between roaches, rice beetles, spiders, and geckos, you wanted to know where you were stepping. They didn't make much appearance out of bathrooms thank goodness.

Annie Thinking of you

Betsy Thermals, quilted vest, and alpaca socks.

TTYL,
    Kylia in cold Ohio
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Michelle When I lived in CT, the easiest way we found to keep frost of the windshield was to put a piece of cardboard on it held by the wipers. When there was a snow storm predicted, we would put the cardboard but put the wipers up so they didn’t freeze to the windows and didn’t break trying to get them loose.

RVRita]

2023 New Ways November

Word of the Year: appreciate—Today I appreciate my way of life.

Meditation: daily. 18/30 (82%(started Feb)(94%,100%, 74%, 93%,100%,100%)

Recommended exercise: cardio 5 days 30 min 15/23
    Strength all muscles 2 x 0/8 a week
    Flexible (yoga, stretching) /8 a week 10 min
    Balance 5 days 10 min /20

1. cut back drinking and limit to 2 days a week. 0/8–(300%,100%,100%,100%).
    96 days SOBER!
    2. Average 7,000 steps a week. 6521,6471,5327, (7,700,100%-9851,100%-9526,100%-9,559,100%, -8347,100%—7465,100%—6328,90%—6059,87%—6458,92%,-6847,98%)
    3. Update budget every 2 weeks 1/2 (10,00%)
    4. Contact close family every week (4x) 220/208—(733%,100% My mom called me for a change.)
    5. Contact Donat and sibs once a month (8x)98/96 100%)
    6. Weigh less last day of month compared to first until I reach 140. Start at 178.6,176,174.2,173.4,175.4,174,175.6,173.4, 172.2, 173.2 (600%)
    7. Develop a journaling practice by aiming to journal at least 5 days a week. 15/23. (681%,100,100)
    8. Read 12 books at least this year. 47/12
    (100%)
    9. Pay off credit card debt by January 2024 by making monthly payments to NDR/Reach Financial 11/12—(100%)
    10. Continue building emergency fund at SLFCU (min$25 a month)$25+$25+$71+700+25+25 +25+25 (100%) I put the money in, but end up taking it out.
    11. April started putting 4% on income in savings. 700,200,200, 107, 157,0,0,0
    500%) This has stopped. Spending too much.

January Met —100%
    February met —-90%
    March met met —-90%
    April met——86.36%
    May met——-89%
    June met—-99%
    July met — met 81%
    August met—met 99%
    September met——99%
    October met —90.7%
    November met—
    December met—

1. Make a list of new things you want to do this month. 1. Start Christmas shopping, 2. Work on my happiness, 3. Walk the mall at least once. 4. Read a new book
    2. Respond to a difficult situation in a different way. I will see what comes up, but the daily readings I do have helped a lot already! Did this!
    3. Get outside and observe the changes in nature around you..Supposed to be in the low 80’s (f) here today and the week to come so will have plenty of time to do this. Didn’t do this today, sick.
    4. Sign up to join a new course, activity, or online community. I’ll have to look around for this. Thinking about something to do with MCC. I joined 2 new groups on FB.
    5. Change your normal routine today and notice how you feel. Will do!
    6. Try out a new way of being physically active. I will have to think about this. Maybe do a YouTube video. Did not do this.
    7. Be creative. Cook, draw, write, paint, make or inspire. I will Zendoodle. I tried out my DH’s suggestion for mirror letters.
    8. Plan a new idea or activity you want to try out this year. I have a water color set. I will experiment with that.
    9. When you feel you can’t do something, add the word ‘yet’. I need to remember this.
    10. Be curious, learn about a new topic or an inspiring idea. I learned about Alonon and downloaded their app and read through it.
    11. Choose a different route and see what you notice on the way. I did this on my walk today.
    12. Find out something new about someone you care about. Research time!
    13. Do something playful outdoors - walk, run, explore, relax. Took a walk.
    14. Find a new way to help or support a cause you care about. Have to think about this.
    15. Build on new ideas by thinking “yes, and what if…” I will remember this!
    16. Look at life at someone else’s eyes and see their perspective. According to my therapist, this is called empathy. I do this but not enough. Will try to do better.
    17. Try a new way to practice self-care and be kind to yourself. Staying in bed and resting today.
    18. Connect with someone from a different generation. I do this most days at the park.
    19. Broaden your perspective: read a different paper, magazine, or site. Will do!
    20. Make a meal using a recipe or ingredient you haven’t used before. My DH does this all the time! He does all the cooking.
    21. Learn a new skill from a friend or share one of yours with them. Hmmmm Did not do this.
    22. Find a new way to tell someone you appreciate them. I will!
    23. Set aside a time to pursue an activity with your love.
    24. Share with a friend something useful you learned recently. I do this on MFP
    25. Use one of your strengths in a new and creative way. I will need to think about this.
    26. Try out a different radio station or new TV show. Did this.
    27. Join a friend doing a hobby and find out why they love it. I’m not sure who I will do this with, maybe my neighbor and not sure what to do yet. Thinking about it.
    28. Discover your creative side. Design a friendly greeting card.
    29. Enjoy new music today. Play, sing, dance or listen.
    30. Look for new reasons to be hopeful, even in tough times.

RVRita in Roswell, NM
    Spoiler
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,954 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    Today is: Teacher day, and Health day. Happy day all you teachers out there; paid or not!

10qngdy7qrkf.jpeg
    4j2vxp62546s.jpeg

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,801 Member
    Options
    Rita- think it might have been me that told you about Al-Anon my dad was a member for over 40 yrs
    The tea I am talking about is Twinings Christmas tea,It has a wonderful orange and clove taste and it is a favorite of mine.. they have it on amazon but are charging a fortune for it.. they used to have it at the local grocery stores and they no longer carry it anymore either..geeze louise.
    Thinking of Annie today,sending love and hugs and to anyone who needs it.
    Lisa- how I miss a good fire in the fireplace..my mom always had one going in the winter at our house. And was always poking at it.. and I love to do it too.the only time I can is when im at the cottage..but thats not much anymore with my nephew living there.
    We had quite the windstorm last night 40-45 mph winds..but its 51 degrees at the end of November..go figure.
    Rita- thanks for the reminder of flipping my wipers up .I don't have a garage to put my car in..
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options

Today’s gratitude: Just spoke with Sears virtual technician “Dave” who confirmed my fears that no igniter part had been ordered. He did so, and said it would arrive in 5-7 days, MAYBE in time for Dec 6 appointment. I’m giddy with hope that I may be able to bake some Christmas cookies this season…
    Annie ((hugs)) Hope your sister arrives soon and can help you, including “hide the keys.”
    Thanks Ginny, very helpful. Do you know what impacts the arthritis level?
    Machka eeeuwww!
    Kylia prayers for your DH’s safe hunt. . . and for Snowman’s complete recovery ;) Couch, Christmas Movies and Tea sound like just the ticket. ((hugs))
    Lisa “not a Grinch… nor a Griswold…” :laugh:
    Margaret “can work on your reason so they can get what they want.” Truth this. Just say “no.”
    Heather what you said about nature, truly.
    Pip the image of Santa at your campsite makes me smile. That Kirby!
    Rita thanks for the “loving detachment” Hard work but worthwhile.
    Allie, is this it?
    https://twiningsusa.com/products/christmas-tea?_pos=1&_sid=c34a1fcc5&_ss=r

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,353 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    After Internet research h, we think it was a sparrowhawk.
    of1yhcywbc7r.jpg
    It truly was like something horrible out of a wildlife film. The poor pigeon.
    I think the sparrowhawk was chasing the pigeon, which is when it bumped into the window and alerted me.
    Once I knew the pigeon was dead I felt better. :#:o:/:| It took a long time.

As I said, this is very unusual in our environment.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,422 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Flea - what a nice house on Lake Limerick. Your trips on I-5 north are rapidly dwindling. Glad you were able to get most of what you wanted loaded up and brought home. Great videos. <3 By the way, the fog was here all day yesterday - temp hovered around 35F at the highest. I can't imagine the holiday traffic on I-5 trying to navigate through it.

Sunny today, bet the mountains are out in all of their glory.

Love all of the Christmas decorations. :p

Need to get a few things done outside - back later.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,706 Member
    Options
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,527 Member
    Options
    Heather - I would not live anywhere but in the country, but there are scenes in this space that will never be easy to deal with, like your sparrowhawk's dinner. When you first thought it was a vulture, I wondered; they are always carrion eaters here. On a completely different note, it is so wonderful that Edie doesn't just make space for you in her life, but actively seeks time with you both. Such a special and wonderful relationship.

Kylia - I hope your DH's hunt was safe and successful.

Rita - I'm glad that "loving detachment," is a successful emotional action for you. It sounds like a really valid way to deal with your husband's possible impact on your mood and day-to-day life and keep your own positive outlook intact.

More later...