I've been at this for years, and still need support do you also?

Options
I started in 2010 to lose weight upon being told I was a diabetic and would be put on insulin if I didn't at once start to lose weight. I weighed 288 quickly getting down to 256 by just counting calories. BUT I became STUCK!! I went online and found a site which closed in 2020, we relocated to MFP!!

I'm now down to 170-171. So why after all of this time I feel the need for support? Life keeps throwing so many physical challenges at me, it's almost laughable!! During the past 3 years I've been diagnosed with congestive heart failure, and chronic kidney disease (3A which is doable) in the past weeks also with hyperparathyroidism with a nice side affect from otheoporsis treatment (IV reclasp) at a high risk of Mronj (Medication related osteonecrosis of the jaw (MRONJ) is an uncommon condition that can cause the death of bone tissue in the jaw. This may occur following an oral surgery procedure such as tooth extraction, in patients who take certain medications). I am also a high risk of breaking various bones. Living in Maine where it's icy usually from the end of Nov through mid March it's freaky. Previously thanks to my friends who are losing weight with me on the seasonal 5% Challenges they've helped me though 25 foot surgeries, a TIA and also 2 bone infections resulting in the loss of a big toe, oh yeah and a stent put in my brain to prevent an anuerysm from bursting.

See for all of us life throws so much in own way!! WITHOUT A DOUBT because I fight this daily every bit my inner being SCREAMS "EAT WHAT YOU WANT!! Your days may be limited, go out in any way you WANT!" But, thankfully o the seasonal 5% Challenge my teammates remind me "You've gotten through so much, you can do this!" Don't I have any family and friends? I SURE DO! I have a good size family, but I am closer to my many friends since my family doesn't live in the area we grew up in. My "RL" (Real Life) support is tremendous, but not many of them struggle with weight. To gain would only hasten the end of life as I know it. I do not want that. Hence why even after 13 YEARS LATER I am still seeking out and getting great support from others who are in the process of losing weight (some are just starting or wanting to start to lose weight, some are part way along, some of us are in maintenance and everything in between!) we all need support. I THRIVE on this support as can YOU!

Where you find the most support along your journey? Is it from family? Friends? A support group which of course, includes MFP?

What challenges do you face if you wish to say.

Are you looking for support? Its a CRAZY WORLD we live in!!

We have opened the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge with the starting date of Jan 6 to start (before that you choose a team you wish to belong to or you can pick "any team is great". These teams are not only supportive, but motivating. I still need that encouragment to get up and move around. I've seen so many over the years "hit goal" And stop coming back to MFP to track food, exercise, who'll come back later on gaining back some and even some gained more than they had even lost. I DO NOT WANT to be that person.

Here's the description of the 5% Challenge: Plz join and have fun as we lose 5% of our weight, improve our health and make new friends. Race to Fascinating Places for 8 Weeks. Now you can write your own success story! Have a chat or post questions in the Airport Lounge Discussion. Your friends are welcome too. Start date Saturday January 6th.

Please do join us, the challenge as described above is for 8 weeks (if you are away please notify your "Captain" and "Baggage Handler" (AKA Weigh in leader so you'll be excused or if you can post still WOOHOO) you'll be working on not only exercise (AT YOUR CURRENT Level please, no injuries PLEASE!! If you can only do a tiny bit that's FINE!! I started at 10 minutes 3 times a week, now I average 30 to 60 a day, but it took me time to get here) a member can report up to 120 minutes of exercise a day. You are NOT required to exercise 7 days a week we want you healthy AND HAPPY, but please look over the rules of the 5% Challenge to remain active.

It does not matter if you have over 100 lbs to lose or you are in maintenance we welcome ALL! Its a healthy lifestyle.

I LOVE THE 5% Challenge BYE BYE WENT 118 lbs!! I went from a power chair to being able to walk!

Once you join PLEASE PICK A TEAM OF YOUR CHOICE!! Some teams are competiive others are not, all are run the same way.

Here's the LINK:
https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145715-2024-winter-5-community-team-plz-join-us

Replies

• Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I have just had the blood tests which say I am cured of hyperparathyroidism, so your post struck a chord. I would love to have you as a friend. I will also have a look at the challenge; sounds great!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Dianedoessmiles1 Posts: 12,163 Member
    Options
    @Givemewings, how did you get help with the hyperparathyroid? Has it improved your life? Happy to have you join us.
  • Sariee4
    Sariee4 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on on your success and triumphs!
    I haven't had half your complications and still require support. You're an inspiration to me!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Sariee4, we would love to have you join us! I have no doubt you'll also inspire us!! Awww TY 4 ur a sweet and kind person.
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    @Dianedoessmiles1 luckily for me I have private healthcare, There is an amazing Facebook page called HyperparathyroidUKAction4Change. I had surgery in April and had a 2cm adenoma removed. I just had my 6 month blood test results which say I am cured. I definitely feel better.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Givemewings, That's so AWESOME!! I am also on BF in the HYPERPARATHYROIDISM SUPPORT AND INFORMATION group. I've learned so much!! Hey CONGRATS on hte surgery and having it removed!! LOVE LOVE LOVE that at 6 months you are cured. I'm not sure how this work out. I'm in my mid 60s and I've been sick for the past 3 years a lot, and before that over a decade of not well. Still, we know if I can I want the surgery. Likely that'll help once I get through the so many tests. If the endro doesn't recommend the next step in Dec, I'll talk to my regular Dr, who will advocate for me. WELCOME to the 5% Challenge!!!
  • missionalman
    missionalman Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Love the 5% Challenges!
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    @Missionalman, would you like to write up why you love the 5% Challenge? Before you post it please get a hold of me, I'd love to have you include the link to the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge. THANKS Dakota!!
  • Catwmncat
    Catwmncat Posts: 6,825 Member
    Options
    Without the 5% challenges I would be right back up over 200lbs. The support, encouragement and friendships have helped me through the roughest days and prevented me from going hog wild in trying times. Join the challenge, learn some healthy habits and make some friends. What have you got to lose... 5%???
  • snokb04
    snokb04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I started thinking as I read your post....what support do I really have? Is everyone IRL happy when I lose weight? Yes. Do they tell me I can do it? Yes. BUT, do they understand this struggle? No. I don't really have anyone I can talk to about the struggles that come along with this journey. I've been overweight since I was 6, went to the WW the first time when I was 7, and again in high school...that may be the most support/understanding that I had about it in high school. Think I'll try this challenge!
  • giadimedici
    giadimedici Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    everyone has difference reasons for losing weight. it's understandable if people need support for it, for sure. for me, i don't need it. i motivate myself, i don't need anyone's approval, not even my family's support. we are all different. i started my weight loss journey 6 years ago and have maintained my weight with nothing but MFP logging
  • marywoods81184
    marywoods81184 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have NO support. My husband, friends, family and kids are indifferent to me losing weight so I'm pretty much going it alone.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    snokb04 wrote: »
    I started thinking as I read your post....what support do I really have? Is everyone IRL happy when I lose weight? Yes. Do they tell me I can do it? Yes. BUT, do they understand this struggle? No. I don't really have anyone I can talk to about the struggles that come along with this journey. I've been overweight since I was 6, went to the WW the first time when I was 7, and again in high school...that may be the most support/understanding that I had about it in high school. Think I'll try this challenge!
    @snokb04 WOOHOO WELCOME to the 2024 Winter 5% Challenge!! I see you've requested Any team is great option!! YEAH!!! We are excited to have you with us! I love what you asked yourself "Do they understand this struggle? No, I don't have anyone, but you WILL NOW!! We are there at varing parts of our journey. I've gone into maintanence after many years, but I STILL want support! It's not an easy journey. I'm so sorry you've been through so much.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    Catwmncat wrote: »
    Without the 5% challenges I would be right back up over 200lbs. The support, encouragement and friendships have helped me through the roughest days and prevented me from going hog wild in trying times. Join the challenge, learn some healthy habits and make some friends. What have you got to lose... 5%???

Cat you've been an inspiration for so many of us!! Cat is also a leader on one of the teams, the "baggage handler" AKA weigh in leader, she helps to keep track of the team weight stats, and gives us badges as we lose!! If one struggles and doesn't lose, she's here cheering us each on as she can along with other members who are also cheering us on. I'm on the same team as Cat is and also a leader, we do support each other a lot (As the other teams do also) and enjoy a sense of humor. Cat the day you joined the 5% you were not sure of it, but you are now!! HAPPY to know you! A little tiny bit about Cat she's a full time care giver one of the hardest jobs ever. Yet, she is putting her health first as it's necessary for her and H.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    everyone has difference reasons for losing weight. it's understandable if people need support for it, for sure. for me, i don't need it. i motivate myself, i don't need anyone's approval, not even my family's support. we are all different. i started my weight loss journey 6 years ago and have maintained my weight with nothing but MFP logging

It's awesome you are able to do so. We'd love to hear more about how you do this, that would be very benefical for many. Your knowledge can help others, love the strength you carry. CONGRATS on a job very well done.
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    I have NO support. My husband, friends, family and kids are indifferent to me losing weight so I'm pretty much going it alone.

HI Mary, please do join us. Here's the link, no need to go it alone. I could not do so. I had a friend who at every turn would offer my favorites (in a tiny bit of her defense, very tiny bit, I learned it was because we had been "eating" partners, when I started to lose weight it scared and angered her because she did not not to lose at all. Many years later she has recently done so. I am thrilled for her) many have no clue it's not as easy "just don't eat that."

After you hit JOIN Please pick a team (various teams have a little bit difference theme, but they all operate the same). All the teams are very good.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/145715-2024-winter-5-community-team-plz-join-us
  • giadimedici
    giadimedici Posts: 68 Member
    Options

It's awesome you are able to do so. We'd love to hear more about how you do this, that would be very benefical for many. Your knowledge can help others, love the strength you carry. CONGRATS on a job very well done.

i'm not really sure what to say. i don't think i'm special or anything, or have any special knowledge. i've got cancer that i'm on weekly therapy for *it's not one that goes away - it's chronic lymphoma*, i still manage to exercise, i measure out all my food STILL, and try to not stress myself out too much. i do yoga, meditate, and limit interactions with people who are soul sucking lol. that's about it ! :)
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    edited December 2023
    Options

i'm not really sure what to say. i don't think i'm special or anything, or have any special knowledge. i've got cancer that i'm on weekly therapy for *it's not one that goes away - it's chronic lymphoma*, i still manage to exercise, i measure out all my food STILL, and try to not stress myself out too much. i do yoga, meditate, and limit interactions with people who are soul sucking lol. that's about it ! :)

I'm so sorry you are going through cancer. Indeed you are special because many would not even try, but not only are you trying, you are using tools available to be as stress free and healthy as you can be. We do not get a choice of what we go through, we do get a choice how we respond. I am sure there are "those days" we all have them (I am chronically ill though it'll likely shorten my life, that's not around the corner I HOPE!) and it's okay for us to be upset at times, but the peacefullness we have is priceless. The hope we have is awesome.
  • LoisHerbert
    LoisHerbert Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hi Diane, I can't believe I found this group again. I'm not sure how to go about joining a group for the challenge though. Can you advise?
  • Dianedoessmiles1
    Options
    Hi Diane, I can't believe I found this group again. I'm not sure how to go about joining a group for the challenge though. Can you advise?

Woohoo Lois! WB!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!