WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,582 Member
    Beth - glad to hear your mom is returning to her spunky self. :) I'm with you and Ginny in keeping our Vitamin D levels high. That is wonderful it helps your knees.

Mine is in the 60's - 67 this past fall, and Dr. Lisa and Dr. Matt say this is a great range, especially for my immune system. During the winter I take 10,000 IU per day plus 100 mcg of K2. According to the Cleveland Clinic, Vitamin K2 is gaining recognition for its effects on blood clotting, heart health and bone health.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/vitamin-k2

Barbie - I was going to mention that Ozempic article, I just read it in the AARP Magazine. Glad you found it online. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Joy1580vb
    Joy1580vb Posts: 405 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    https://aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2023/anti-obesity-medications-risks.html

:) I just read this article about Ozempic. It was very interesting for anyone who is considering it.

Interesting article. My sister (76) is diabetic and has been on Ozempic for just about a year. She is on a low dose and it is doing what it is intended to do re her diabetes. She has lost about 50 pounds and the weight loss appears to have leveled off. She is probably about 15 to 20 pounds overweight now and looks good. My concern for her is that she doesn't eat very much and I'm not sure she is getting enough nutrition. Her doctor is pleased with her A1C levels and she has decided to stay on it.

My SIL who is overweight and having problems walking (knee issues) tried Ozempic a few months back. She had a lot of side effects even on a low dose so only stayed on it for a couple of months then decided it was not for her. Her doctor suggested she try a different weight loss drug but she decided that is not an option for her.

The only side effect my sister had and still has is loss of appetite. She can only eat a bit of food and then feels full.

Joy
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,387 Member
    Lanette-good reminder about the k2.

Pip-interesting way to increase intensity of walk!
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,203 Member
    edited December 2023
    Allie it is the part of Myfitnesspal where if you friend someone you share your food journal if you are using it. It also says how many days continually you have been on Myfitnesspal. I have been on much longer than mine says. Everyone once in a while I don't log in for a day, and it starts you back at 0. There is a way to just have it count how many days you log regardless of missing a day or two, but it is not that important to me so I have not looked into how to do it.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
    Stats for the day-

Short last walk of 2023 w/family- rain- 55.33min, 37elev, 2.86ap, 85ahr, 105mhr, 2.71mi= 308c
    Strava app= 333c
    Zwift home spin bike- strava stats- 1hr 7min, 436elev, 111aw, 17.9amph, gear49 fist 10 mi, gear30 for last 10 mi, 95ahr, 117mhr, 20.02mi= 332c
    Strava app= 425c
    Zwift stats- 1hr 7min 5sec, 439elev, 110aw, 46arpm, 17.89amph, 20mi= 425c

Total cal 640
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    g3ts9dsio1dy.jpg
    The picture of Siri was cropped so it was bigger,she is long and thin...
    Tried watching All Creatures last season now and forgot there was animals on there..
    Had to turn it off..oh well..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,145 Member
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :) A friend who owned her own business said, "Working for yourself if great. You only have to work half days and you get to decide which 12 hours that will be."

I have been self employed for pretty much all my adult life(I have taught at a few preschools/daycares but mostly my own) and I always say, "they are LONG hours, but they are MY hours". Yes, I was working 55hrs a week for just over 5 yrs with the triplets, starting when they were 3 months old(and they were premies). The part of working for myself was, I took my lunch when I wanted and how long I wanted, if the babies didn't need anything. I got breaks when they took naps. It was very important that they took naps or at least rested, even up until they were 5 1/2yrs old- They didn't have to nap BUT they did have to lay down and rest. They could watch Disney channel or read a book quietly but they need a break and so did I . Nap time has always been a priority for me in the 40+yrs of doing this.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    evie1958 wrote: »
    Quick fly by post.

Just wanted to congratulate Rita on five months sober! Very well done!

I’ve been reading but not taking notes although I would like to throw my two cents in about using ozempic for weight loss. I have a friend who is diabetic and on prescribed ozempic. She did lose weight, although not in her belly which is where she’d like to lose it from! The pharmacy she uses was unable to fill her script for two weeks as they couldn’t get any in! Needless to say, she’s not a fan of those who would use or prescribe it for weight loss.

Hugs for those needing them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the new gals!

Evelyn, Vancouver Island

That's a problem here too! So many people were using it for weight loss that people with diabetes who really needed it couldn't get it.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    edited December 2023
    Allie it is the part of Myfitnesspal where if you friend someone you share your food journal if you are using it. It also says how many days continually you have been on Myfitnesspal. I have been on much longer than mine says. Everyone once in a while I don't log in for a day, and it starts you back at 0. There is a way to just have it count how many days you log regardless of missing a day or two, but it is not that important to me so I have not looked into how to do it.

That's the main page of MyFitnessPal: https://www.myfitnesspal.com/ ... My Home.

The Community, where we are, is a sub-section of that main page of MFP.

dqikd6fiqr2k.png

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    :)Rosemarie We watched a lot of YouTube videos about both electric and hybrid vehicles before we made a decision. It is a big change with a steep learning curve

:)About exercise Get out of your chair and move. Even less than great exercise is better than none

<3 Barbie in NW WA