WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2023

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    About Exercise ... agree with Barbie above.

I love my sit-stand desk at work as it allows me to stand for a portion of the day, which is better than sitting all day. At home, I try to get up and move periodically throughout the evening - usually to tidy something.
    Sitting (or lying down) all the time is not good for the body. I reminded myself of that many times during this COVID thing. Lying down was only going to increase my chances of getting pneumonia. Yes, I laid down for about half the day, but then I tried to sit up straight, and better ... to walk around the house and yard.

About Tea ... I have thought about getting the loose leaves. There's a nice place near where I work that sells the loose tea, but they are expensive. I might have to look more. I have a couple tea balls and a strainer.

About Vitamin D ... here in Tassie, because it's cold enough most of the year that people tend to wear long sleeves, Vitamin D levels tend to be low. So I take a Vitamin D every day.

The recommendation here is: Adults aged 51-70 years should have 10μg of Vitamin D per day. We take a 1,000 IU supplement which is 25μg.

Keep in mind that there are definitely some serious issues with taking too much Vitamin D. It is not a case of "if some is good, more must be better".
    https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-d-side-effects

"Most cases of vitamin D toxicity are caused by inappropriate supplement dosing and prescription errors.
    For example, in a 2020 case report, a 73-year-old man developed vitamin D toxicity after taking 10,000 IU of vitamin D per day for many years"

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    tw64zkhfz2be.png
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,215 Member
    Options
    Page 69
    ☘️
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,339 Member
    Options
    Rori-your part time job brings you many interesting adventures! Envious of your California coast tour. I lived in San Diego area years ago when in high school. Went back to area a few years ago for work-changed tremendously but still beautiful.

Machka-We have to be careful with all medicines/supplements to not overdo. Just like with food-moderation works well.

Michelle-I know that Covid and other things are rampant around here. Several people at work have Covid, several others have had RSV and the flu. I prefer if people are sick with anything they stay home!

Off to start my last day of 2023-hard to believe another year is gone.

Ginny in Ohio
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,501 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    5 exercise snacks
    Just read this article about 5 one minute moves to make daily. Maybe if I link with things I do every day, like this?
    Sit to Stand 1 minute when getting up from TV to p
    Counter Plank before doing dishes
    Heel Toe lifts when returning to TV after p (if shin tolerates)
    Seated running marches before getting up from TV to other than p
    One legged balance when returning to TV after other than p
    https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2023/one-minute-workouts-for-strength.html?cmp=EMC-DSM-NLC-OTH-WBLTR-1532702-1915112-7894433-NA-12292023-Webletter-MS4-NA-NA-S08A-Health&encparam=cFnE5UuP+gjkZLMHfGKe
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    December: Move more: chair yoga, line dance, dailyish PT, play with dogs.
    Fuel better: less sugar, CI<CO, dailyish vitamins.
    Live NOW: dailyish time with Joe, readings, meditate 3 minutes/day. Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2023: Be of good cheer.
    xzAHoVDyXjBX2wrfuXY%2fgHA%3d
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,260 Member
    Options
    My friend G has been searching Dr Google, and now thinks it may be Bullous Pemphigoid. On my quick reading, it looks a definite possibility. She had an autoimmune flareup of her knee joint early this year.

This getting old stuff is not for wimps.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,364 Member
    Options

Just popping in - getting a few chores done and want to make an early trip to the grocery to grab a few things, so more later and will catch up with you gals.

A little more on Vitamin D :
    Here are a couple studies about higher levels of Vitamin D. Supplementation doesn't necessarily equal adequate blood levels: 2,000 IU might be too little for one person while it may shoot another person into a higher range. There are many factors that influence this including age, and other medical condititions. That's why I pay the $$ to get mine tested every year or two and my medical providers have the time to assess everything in my lab reports to see if something is off-balance. (Thankfully, Dr. Lisa gets a discounted price on the D3 test.) :p

Vitamin D - research shows suggested levels from 40 to 60 ng/mL are expected to reduce case-fatality rates of patients who have breast, colorectal, or prostate cancer by half. : https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/19523595/

Vitamin D - 7 year study assessing safety risk of higher Vitamin D3 intake: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30611908/

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,611 Member
    Options
    12-31-23
    I love patterns in numbers!

Woke up early and am enjoying the serenity of the tree lights for the last time until next year. 😌 DH still snoozing.

Last night we watched storage wars, my cousin Vinnie (I love her), and Animal House (my first time). I worked on cross-stitch and got up every half hour to move. Was relaxing. Finished up my tracking hours for the year. I have been tracking my SIL'S and my working hours since 2014. I got tired of hearing that I wasn't working enough, so started tracking. Only in 2022 did I start tracking working hours that SIL wasn't there. She likes to go in at 6 am, we are open 9-530 Monday-Friday and 9-2 on Saturday. So yes, we get Sundays off. It seems petty but gives me peace. It is interesting to look back and compare hours with sales. I also have to track units sold for ordering. Crazy busy years I have had as many as 362 extra hours outside of work and on low sale years the lowest was actually a true 66 hours missed 🙃. Oh, that is the year we went to the Dominican! No work done on that vacation. Like I said I love number patterns. The awareness of extra hours does help me be more focused during work hours most days.

Rori You are a great example of grabbing life by the horns and taking control! I want to be like you when I grow up. ;) I love hearing about your adventures and travels.

Rosemarie I too love that you are making changes for yourself and honoring your DH at the same time.

Rori Congratulations on alcohol free! That is a wonderful milestone!

Lisa I am excited to see the finished product. I am like your DH. It is easier in my mind to do it by myself. I have to make an effort to do things with my DH like projects or even shopping. I do enjoy spending time with him, but we think so differently that sometimes it is hard!

Debbie I am happy to hear you had some "good" time with your DH. I hope you nip this illness in the bud.

Ginny I have a friend whose daughter didn't come over for Christmas because she was suppose to go on a cruise for the new year. The daughter and her husband both have RSV. I reckon a blessing in disguise that they didn't get together. There is certainly a lot going around. I know our weather isn't helping. It is hard to decide how to dress for the day!

Machka HAPPY NEW YEAR! You are our first to enter into it.

Allie Siri is beautiful. My DH said I could get a cat. I do know that some don't aggrevate allergies. One of these days......

Tracey Love how creative you are! Such a wonderful tribute to your grandmother and mom.

As we head into the New Year's, My hope for you all is peace, health, and activity. I am appreciative for the things you all bring into my life. Thank you for sharing and being you!

Much love,
    Kylia in Ohio
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,729 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies
    And Merry New Years Eve.
    Im ready to turn over a new leaf so to speak.
    Siri is not mine just yet
    She is being fostered by Doris and will be picked up tomorrow by the shelter..they will have her spayed and put up for adoption. Ihave already put the adoption papers in.
    Now its a waiting game.
    Im going to visit today and Tracy wants me to pick up some toy train parts,and I'll pick up some ham for Doris on the way up.