A one year commitment….

Options
54ShadesOfBlue
54ShadesOfBlue Posts: 240 Member
edited December 2023 in Motivation and Support
Today I woke up and realized I have mentally hit rock bottom.

I’m going to be 54 in a few weeks and have decided enough is enough after far too many failed attempts to get healthy. I feel utterly disgusted in that I have left myself down….

I am starting this thread as a daily personal accountability log, documenting my thoughts and challenges over the next 365 days where I will consistently choose my health first. Will vanity be a factor ? Yes even in one’s fifties, it is part of the mix, but the main focus will be to steer clear of preventable illness.

My goal - a healthy rate of weight loss of one to two pounds a week.

I probably will share some raw thoughts here….because of this, I want to remain anonymous. If successful perhaps this journal will be useful to others.

The beginning of every journey has a first step.

It’s my time to start…..

Replies

• 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    Thank you very much Ann!
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    Thank you history_grll. I recognize there needs to be a small slop factor, especially for the holidays. So far so good today …
    Already got the scale - but can’t control the absence of contraband food as I am not the only one in the house.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    6m7rg4kkfv wrote: »
    Thank you history_grll. I recognize there needs to be a small slop factor, especially for the holidays. So far so good today …
    Already got the scale - but can’t control the absence of contraband food as I am not the only one in the house.

I do have the advantage of living alone, but in line with Ann’s point about extremes, I find it helps to have alternatives to “contraband” on hand that I enjoy so I don’t feel deprived. I love nuts and chocolate, so my go-to daily snack is 10-20 grams of cashews and a half (or sometimes whole) square of Baker’s 70% chocolate. It’s amazing to me that I can portion these out without eating the whole thing as I would have done just a few months ago. And as I’ve learned, we don’t have to deny ourselves, just have less of it.

Also, for some, when others in the house have tempting foods we can't moderate, it can be helpful to define that as "not my food". If it works for all involved, some families are willing to keep "their foods" in a special cupboard, or section/drawer/box in the refrigerator, so they're out of sight, and within a boundary.

You're doing fine, @6m7rg4kkfv. My advice: Don't beat yourself up when things aren't perfect: That doesn't burn a single extra calorie, and it feels icky.

It's a process. We experiment. Some experiments succeed, and we keep that strategy in our routine. Some experiments fail, and we learn from them, revise the plan, and go on. Both of those things represent progress. Persistence and patience pay off.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    edited December 2023
    Options
    Day 2 -
    A mixed bag.
    Not as much physical activity as I had planned, and was over goal, but by a shorter margin. The main culprit for the excess calories were the zeppole my son and I made. It was a practice sesson. It’s a tradition I do with the family around Christmas every year (they came out a little more crispy than I wanted this time, thus the practice session)

dtjo1mbvdmni.jpeg

On the plus size, no alcohol was consumed,
    and the vicious cycle of feeling too low/overwhelmed/drained to do anything because I am not doing anything is beginning to break up - like a polar icecap in the summer.

Unfortunately the weather forecast prevents outside stuff today. So, the plan will be staying offline as much as possible, and instead visiting my parents, de-cluttering my surroundings and eating better today than yesterday.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    12/12/2023 Day 4.
    Got in a mild amount of exercise yesterday
    Overall caloric deficit was larger than the previous day, but not quite at goal.

Today I plan to hit the goal. 😀
  • itrackeverything
    Options
    I can not count the times I have felt 'disgusted with myself'...today being one. You have inspired me to also write down what I plan to do different tomorrow. 'Social events" are my downfall.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    @itrackeverything take a 🤗 or fist bump 👊 … for me the biggest challenge is between my ears, I expect many of my entries over my journey here will be sprinkled with a little ‘psycho-babble’ (I’m a math and science person, so clueless by nature with other things).
    Poor stress management and combatting feeling ‘low’ are my the daily ‘jab…’
    Social / family events are the ‘right cross’ for me. But the fight is not over when you get knocked down …. Only when you decide not to get back up.

I’ll be rooting in your corner for you tomorrow 😀 good luck and good strength 💪 to you.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    edited December 2023
    Options
    12/13/2023 Day 6.
    A good day - eating was on target. No life drama.

I have an upcoming food challenge this weekend…
    Taking my sons skiing.
    The 6 hour ride there and another 6 back, plus the meals out will not be ideal food wise. Going to have fun while making the best choices I can.

• 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    12/14/2023 Day 7.

A good day with fair fitness. Calories over goal but still an overall deficit. Not great, but still moving in the desired direction.

Intended to exercise the excess off but forgot I had to attend parent teacher conferences for my youngest child. Received good reports from the teachers which was nice.

Additionally, I also got to spend some much needed time with an old friend.

Leaving tonight to do a little skiing on Saturday, returning on Sunday. Preparing food in advance with little baggies and containers will kill the vibe of the trip, so I will just make the best choices I can on the road and at the mountain.
  • history_grrrl
    history_grrrl Posts: 212 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options
    6m7rg4kkfv wrote: »
    12/14/2023 Day
    Leaving tonight to do a little skiing on Saturday, returning on Sunday. Preparing food in advance with little baggies and containers will kill the vibe of the trip, so I will just make the best choices I can on the road and at the mountain.
    This surprises me! Isn’t it fairly standard, when going on a ski trip or camping or similar, to bring a supply of snacks and other food? It seems like an ideal opportunity to have some control over what you’re eating. Or maybe I’m missing something?

• 54ShadesOfBlue
    Options
    Not standard in my world. Two young men with their dad doing a skii weekend, the point of the trip is to escape and not have to do any ‘work’. For me, would not go away to a resort with packaged food. From my point of view it’s the same.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    edited December 2023
    Options
    12/15/2023 Day 8.
    Yesterday’s logging was ok.
    Trip up to the mountain last night went smoothly. Only took us 5 hours.

Did not manage to get a workout in but that will be addressed today ⛷️
    Looking forward to seeing my older son.