Newby here, Hi everyone

Options
Micro nutrients, macros, did I eat too much, Not enough, will I have enough left for a good dinner, If I go Over or under does this sabotage my Day, my weight, πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™€οΈ logging and getting it Right is my current struggle.
56 female, not much to loose, I work out about 4 days a week, any advice to making this App/ Logging easier in my Brain will be of Great Help πŸ˜‹πŸ‹οΈβ€β™€οΈπŸ”πŸ€ΈπŸ₯¦ πŸ€·πŸ»β€β™€οΈ

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,154 Member
    Options
    On any of those things - micros, macros, calories, etc. - close on average over a day or few is plenty good enough. Exactly exact every day is too paralyzing to chase, if you ask me.

Further, unless you're starting with a diagnosed deficiency or relevant health condition, you can chip away at improving any of those gradually, and stay healthy doing it. (Probably the only pitfall is trying to lose weight too fast for one's current size . . . there's no getting decent nutrition on too-low calories!)

If you come up short on calories but are hungry and haven't had dinner, eat something. It's not the end of the world. If it's not what you'd prefer longer-term, think about what circumstances that day led to that, and use that knowledge to revamp your plan/tactics going forward.

As you log more often, you'll learn that skill better; so give yourself a break now as a starting learner. Learn more as you go along, sure, but just do your reasonable best. Absolute perfection isn't essential.

None of this is a magic spell that you have to get every tiny piece right in order to make progress. "Close enough" will work. Gradual progress is progress.

If a key goal is weight loss, it can be helpful to estimate your current maintenance calories. Any day you eat fewer calories than that, you can expect to lose some fat, just a little bit slower/less than if you hit your exact calorie goal. (Don't expect to see loss on the scale every day, though: Day to day multi-pound shifts in water retention and waste still in the digestive track will mask daily fat loss. The many-weeks weight trend or average loss will tell a more meaningful story.)

I guess my basic advice here is not to make losing weight or improving nutrition into something that's harder, more stressful, or more anxiety-provoking than it minimally needs to be. Let yourself be an open-minded learner, stick with it patiently, and you can surprise yourself over time with what you can achieve.

At least that was true for me, losing weight at age 59-60. I got to goal weight in a bit under a year (lost 50-some pounds), and am still at a healthy weight (now 68).

Wishing you success!
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,460 Member
    edited January 9
    Options
    Stick with it. I had whack-a-mole feelings at first, too, but it gets easier with familiarity.

Strongly suggest reading the stickies at the top of each board for info on how to use the app, and checking the boards regularly.

Involvement in the boards was as much a factor in my weight loss as the app itself. Many kind and knowledgeable users here, like the lovely Rowing Queen above me, who share their own experience and advice.

Welcome to mFP @housermomma