Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options
14567810»

Replies

• flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I think you should probably move to the northeast.

Sitting at my desk in the heart of said North East (Vermont) and I have "blah blah blah sports sports sports" coming from every direction. There is no escaping!
    I was at Silverstone MotoGP at the weekend :) Would love to go to some of the European rounds too but work never allows :(

That's awesome. I used to go to bike week in NH when the AMA still raced there but never been to any other road events. Been to several national MX races when i was a kid, those were always fun. I actually haven't followed much WSBK or MotoGP since I gave up on paying for TV but I've been watch ing the motocross/supercross series online. I'll have to look for some MotoGP on youtube, hopefully someone is pirating that **** for the rest of us to watch! :)
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options

I think you should probably move to the northeast.

Sitting at my desk in the heart of said North East (Vermont) and I have "blah blah blah sports sports sports" coming from every direction. There is no escaping!

Haha! Are you in a city of >250k people? I would go to some such place, if I suffered. But I don't, because I make it a point to hardly not be in such a place*. Usually, there is at least a block or two of not only freedom from sports, but active dislike.

*unless there's a beach or mountain nearby, & only for a little while
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    How many of us are there? I am an athlete myself, always have been, but I have always done individual kinds of sports and can't seem to drum up any interest at all in watching or following sports. My dad's side of the family are all sports fanatics and my cousins own a sporting-goods store. However I spent most of my time with my art-teacher mom and opera loving step-dad and it just didn't ever come on or get discussed.

Even the sports that I do (submission grappling), I only watch instructionals and highlights of competition so that I can learn and do it myself.

I don't begrudge anyone their sports and I'm not going to say I was bullied in high school by jocks or anything, heck I was a 6'3" 200lb letterman. I know there's definitely guys out there that see sports as the establishment or linked to tormentors and so hate it for that reason, but that's not me.

It can be pretty aggravating, lonely, and socially awkward to not be into sports as an american male. (In the south, in a major SEC university town no less) It's the common thread of male small-talk and getting to know you chit-chat, and there's a nice awkward pause when my response is, "Sorry, I don't watch sports."

So, I'm hoping I'm not alone here....

Bonus topic, do women get pressured or feel weird for not following sports these days? I know a LOT of female sports fans.

I extended my feeble but enjoyable sports career by becoming a high school official...oh yeah "You are outta here!" :-)
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

Haha! Are you in a city of >250k people? I would go to some such place, if I suffered. But I don't, because I make it a point to hardly not be in such a place*. Usually, there is at least a block or two of not only freedom from sports, but active dislike.

*unless there's a beach or mountain nearby, & only for a little while

Haha no, there are only like 600K in this whole state! I just happen to work with a bunch of sports jocks I guess? Office pools and fantasy leagues...I just can't grasp the excitement of all that nonsense! But sometimes when my friends win they get generous at the bar so I guess it's not all bad!
  • tbreck1
    Options
    Not a follower, no problem!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Well put. There's also the fact ( for me) that sports bore the hell out of me because I couldn't care less who wins. It just doesn't matter to me at all. And when you don't follow the sport and it doesn't matter which team wins, why waste my time watching it?

to see athletes push the human body to its limits? be it basketball, 100m dash, weight lifting competition...whatever it is... a lot of times i dont care who wins i just like to see how fast they can run for example.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I think with something like the Olympics, there's often a build-up, an expression of physical mastery you aren't familiar with, and then it's over.

I know intellectually that a basketball is hard to shoot, but I have seen that feat thousands of times without even being a sports fan. The same thing with a golf swing or a good hit in baseball. 'Familiarity breeds contempt' And in most of the ballgames, by the end of a single game you kind of cease to become amazed at the act itself and need the investment in the team itself to stay interested after so much repetition.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    I think with something like the Olympics, there's often a build-up, an expression of physical mastery you aren't familiar with, and then it's over.

I know intellectually that a basketball is hard to shoot, but I have seen that feat thousands of times without even being a sports fan. The same thing with a golf swing or a good hit in baseball. 'Familiarity breeds contempt' And in most of the ballgames, by the end of a single game you kind of cease to become amazed at the act itself and need the investment in the team itself to stay interested after so much repetition.

you are way off base. take for example that i have run countless times and watched other people run countless times but when i see Usain Bolt run its magical.

i dont see the Olympics as anything different than team sports. in fact familiarity with a sport lets you realized just how incredible it is when someone excels. if i have done something countless times and then see someone do it on a completely different level that is a lot of times more amazing to me than if im watching a sport i know nothing about.

and only someone like you who doest like sports would say people cease to be amazed when watching sports and need investment in a team to stay interested. most sports fans enjoy watching games when it has no impact on their own team.