Me who just don't care about sports (feel like the only one)

Options

Replies

• Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    to the people saying "i cant just sit around and watch people play sports" do you also state that you cant just sit around and listen to music other people have played or watch movies other people have made...etc...

just seems like a weird distinction to me. i like watching the best perform. be it sports, music, movies etc...

You are talking about a huge difference in variety and time though.

I listen to music nearly all day in the background while I work, but it's all different songs, is not what I am actively paying attention to, and the songs themselves are relatively short. I like Metallica, but I don't tune in to a Metallica concert every weekend, have 12 Metallica T-shirts, expect to see them playing in bars and restaurants, and listen to pre and post-concert breakdowns by retired musicians. Think about the sheer volume of time, attention, and money spent on it and then try to apply it to anything else that is not a person's job, family, or personal passion that they do

A 6 hour run of a TV show or set of movies is a 'marathon'. For a lot of people with football, that's 'Sunday'.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here's a question- for those who are incredibly passionate about a specific sport, do you currently participate or did you growing up? When i look at the sports that can follow and enjoy, they are all things that I have done, or currently do. It makes them relatable and gives you that appreciation for how awesome that move or play just was. Are there a lot of people who are crazy for something they have never really experienced for themselves?
    I made the football team as a 4th string WR (I played maybe 2 games in mop up time) and a kicker my freshman year because I weighed about 105lbs at 5'5" in highschool.
    Other than that, no real sports participation until I started putting on weight. At that time I was more involved with bodybuilding than football, but made time to watch the 49ers play every week.
    And still do to this day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well that makes more sense to me than someone who didn't have that hands on experience though. I guess for someone without that it's no different than someone with a passion for Formula 1 - no one gets to casually play with an F1 car but can still be fans. I suppose anyone who drives a car can relate to the skill level needed to drive at that level though.
  • HardyGirl4Ever
    HardyGirl4Ever Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I hate sports. Unless you count professional wrestling. But I don't count that because it's sports entertainment.

14877786.png
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    to the people saying "i cant just sit around and watch people play sports" do you also state that you cant just sit around and listen to music other people have played or watch movies other people have made...etc...

just seems like a weird distinction to me. i like watching the best perform. be it sports, music, movies etc...

You are talking about a huge difference in variety and time though.

I listen to music nearly all day in the background while I work, but it's all different songs, is not what I am actively paying attention to, and the songs themselves are relatively short. I like Metallica, but I don't tune in to a Metallica concert every weekend, have 12 Metallica T-shirts, expect to see them playing in bars and restaurants, and listen to pre and post-concert breakdowns by retired musicians. Think about the sheer volume of time, attention, and money spent on it and then try to apply it to anything else that is not a person's job, family, or personal passion that they do

A 6 hour run of a TV show or set of movies is a 'marathon'. For a lot of people with football, that's 'Sunday'.

im not talking about listening to background music. im talking about watching a performance on TV or at a concert. i dont see a difference in that and watching a sporting event.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    OK, the vast majority of people, even music fanatics and musicians, don't spend even a fraction of the amount of time actively attending performance art as they do sport. Contrast seeing a movie or listening to a concert actively time to watching ESPN time.

Most performance art is consumed in exactly the way I described, either in small/rare amounts or in the background.

The only other corollary I can think of is politics. Some people spend a massive amount of time watching the news and following politics without being a politician or doing much to contribute to the process. They absolutely love it and happily while away hours at a time with it.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    OK, the vast majority of people, even music fanatics and musicians, don't spend even a fraction of the amount of time actively attending performance art as they do sport. Contrast seeing a movie or listening to a concert actively time to watching ESPN time.

Most performance art is consumed in exactly the way I described, either in small/rare amounts or in the background.

The only other corollary I can think of is politics. Some people spend a massive amount of time watching the news and following politics without being a politician or doing much to contribute to the process. They absolutely love it and happily while away hours at a time with it.

the point is people have said they dont like to watch sports because they are not actually doing it themselves. and yet they are willing to sit and watch lots of other forms of entertainment. be it for an hour or 5 hours.

and how can you not mention television in general? lots of people watch tons of tv that is not sports related. most of the people who arent spending their time watching sports during the week are watching tv shows, playing farmville/candy crush/videogames/etc....

maybe its that sports are more difficult to follow if you are new to it than say a concert or a movie. it can be hard to follow and enjoy a sport if you dont know the rules.
  • Steffani911
    Steffani911 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Two words. Go Hawks!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

^^^^Sooooo this ^^^^

Besides it is boring to watch others do that kind of stuff. Go play yourself, get involved and move around then sports can be ok. I'm still not a fan of organized sports.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Two words. Go Hawks!

they'll be gone and swept before they can turn up the piped crowd noise in seattle.

GO NINERS!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    I live in North Carolina so it is mandatory that all men, women and children choose a college basketball team to pull for (Usually UNC or Duke with NC State coming in 3rd)

Other than that I like NFL and I enjoy baseball if I'm at a game, live.

Football is pretty big around here too.

Does anybody care about pro basketball anymore? Anybody?

millions of people care about the NBA. even more so now that college basketball is even less watchable than the NBA.

just curious why you think college basketball is ' less' watchable?

I used to be a HUGE NBA fan but can't stomach the modern NBA any longer...but no denying it the NBA went international and marketed it's self very well indeed...the NFL too is sniffing around for a European franchise ( possibly London?)
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Nope - not alone. I'm not into watching sports on tv. I do like live hockey games and if I come across a hockey game on tv I will leave it there but I don't go out of my way to find it.

I just have other things going on and other things to do.
  • Laces_0ut
    Options
    I live in North Carolina so it is mandatory that all men, women and children choose a college basketball team to pull for (Usually UNC or Duke with NC State coming in 3rd)

Other than that I like NFL and I enjoy baseball if I'm at a game, live.

Football is pretty big around here too.

Does anybody care about pro basketball anymore? Anybody?

millions of people care about the NBA. even more so now that college basketball is even less watchable than the NBA.

just curious why you think college basketball is ' less' watchable?

I used to be a HUGE NBA fan but can't stomach the modern NBA any longer...but no denying it the NBA went international and marketed it's self very well indeed...the NFL too is sniffing around for a European franchise ( possibly London?)

the level of talent in college is at an all time low. in the past youd have 3 and 4 year players that were NBA ready.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I think we have a serious problem in this country when we pay grown men millions of dollars a year to play games when teachers have to pay for their own classroom supplies, soldiers returning from war have to wait months or years for proper medical care and a person working sh---ty jobs for minimum wage have to work 60-80 hours a week just to put food on the table.

^^ This ^^

^^^^Sooooo this ^^^^

Besides it is boring to watch others do that kind of stuff. Go play yourself, get involved and move around then sports can be ok. I'm still not a fan of organized sports.

can I get an AMEN! Happy to say I won't be contributing to that :drinker: :drinker:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

^^ This ^^

^^^^Sooooo this ^^^^

can I get an AMEN! Happy to say I won't be contributing to that :drinker: :drinker:

THIS JUST IN: ALL MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS HAVE FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY!!!
  • Laces_0ut
    Options

^^ This ^^

^^^^Sooooo this ^^^^

THIS JUST IN: ALL MAJOR LEAGUE SPORTS HAVE FILED FOR BANKRUPTCY!!!

lol@that ever happening.
  • flet2
    flet2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options

the point is people have said they dont like to watch sports because they are not actually doing it themselves. and yet they are willing to sit and watch lots of other forms of entertainment. be it for an hour or 5 hours.

and how can you not mention television in general? lots of people watch tons of tv that is not sports related. most of the people who arent spending their time watching sports during the week are watching tv shows, playing farmville/candy crush/videogames/etc....

maybe its that sports are more difficult to follow if you are new to it than say a concert or a movie. it can be hard to follow and enjoy a sport if you dont know the rules.

You might be onto something with the 'hard to follow'. That's not to say someone doesn't understand the sport. I understand football, I get the point, I get the rules, I can tell a good play from a crappy one though obviously don't appreciate all the subtleties that someone who follows it would. With a Movie or TV show, or video game you get the beginning, middle and end of the story presented to you all within that block of time. If you don't follow a sport, you don't have the background drama of the rivalry, the work up to that game, the back story of the team etc. In the end, none of that is actually appealing to me anyway, but I can see how being more involved with it could create that snowball effect where you want to keep watching and following the drama, just like getting sucked into a TV series where you want to know how it ends.
    To me, most sporting events are like watching a bad movie that is too long and poorly paced. It's a lot of filler, there is rarely any action, tons of commercials and tons of downtime when nothing is actually happening. I guess that's why I can at least tolerate soccer and possibly hockey; they move for the entire time, there aren't 10 minute breaks every 3 minutes where nothing happens.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

You might be onto something with the 'hard to follow'. That's not to say someone doesn't understand the sport. I understand football, I get the point, I get the rules, I can tell a good play from a crappy one though obviously don't appreciate all the subtleties that someone who follows it would. With a Movie or TV show, or video game you get the beginning, middle and end of the story presented to you all within that block of time. If you don't follow a sport, you don't have the background drama of the rivalry, the work up to that game, the back story of the team etc. In the end, none of that is actually appealing to me anyway, but I can see how being more involved with it could create that snowball effect where you want to keep watching and following the drama, just like getting sucked into a TV series where you want to know how it ends.
    To me, most sporting events are like watching a bad movie that is too long and poorly paced. It's a lot of filler, there is rarely any action, tons of commercials and tons of downtime when nothing is actually happening. I guess that's why I can at least tolerate soccer and possibly hockey; they move for the entire time, there aren't 10 minute breaks every 3 minutes where nothing happens.

Well put. There's also the fact ( for me) that sports bore the hell out of me because I couldn't care less who wins. It just doesn't matter to me at all. And when you don't follow the sport and it doesn't matter which team wins, why waste my time watching it?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    How many of us are there? I am an athlete myself, always have been, but I have always done individual kinds of sports and can't seem to drum up any interest at all in watching or following sports. My dad's side of the family are all sports fanatics and my cousins own a sporting-goods store. However I spent most of my time with my art-teacher mom and opera loving step-dad and it just didn't ever come on or get discussed.

Even the sports that I do (submission grappling), I only watch instructionals and highlights of competition so that I can learn and do it myself.

I don't begrudge anyone their sports and I'm not going to say I was bullied in high school by jocks or anything, heck I was a 6'3" 200lb letterman. I know there's definitely guys out there that see sports as the establishment or linked to tormentors and so hate it for that reason, but that's not me.

It can be pretty aggravating, lonely, and socially awkward to not be into sports as an american male. (In the south, in a major SEC university town no less) It's the common thread of male small-talk and getting to know you chit-chat, and there's a nice awkward pause when my response is, "Sorry, I don't watch sports."

So, I'm hoping I'm not alone here....

Bonus topic, do women get pressured or feel weird for not following sports these days? I know a LOT of female sports fans.

Hey awesome, this means you're an independent thinker, active and interested in your life, immune to petty allegiances & manipulation of simple emotions.

I hate the sound of sports, really everything about watching them. It's way more fun to play. No, as a woman, I do not feel pressure. But none of my personal friends are into sports as fans, at all. I just have to put up with it on TV at holidays when I see my brothers.

I think you should probably move to the northeast.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    dp
  • trubs182
    trubs182 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I quite enjoy rugby and will watch the Tour de France, but my big thing is motorsport; mainly two-wheeled, so BSB, WSBK, MotoGP, speedway etc. Formula 1 is good when there's nothing else on.

tumblr_mbibadPiCE1riqizno1_500.gif

;)

Not often I see a girl list MotoGP in her "things i watch" list!

I was at Silverstone MotoGP at the weekend :) Would love to go to some of the European rounds too but work never allows :(