Any tips on how to reduce stomach inflammation??

Options
I have exhausted every piece of advice online about how to reduce stomach inflammation and nothing works for me- I have a rare condition called MCAS that causes all the inflammatory responses. Medication for this is expensive af. And cryotherapy has helped in the past but that is also very pricey and I can’t do that. Anyone have tips? I’m really into herbal cures from the earth, and traditional asian medicine- to a point bc At the same time I don’t agree with essential oils and crystals n things
like that. So, holistic but not too

Answers

• Corina1143
    Corina1143 Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing you've tried chamomile and lemon balm?
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    certain mineral waters help my tummy - topo chico plain, with pellegrino plain coming in a distant second. i'm guessing one of the minerals or the overall PH is what helps. i assume you've tried pepcid? i also used to drink milk with added calcium, and that seemed to help a lot.

i find a lot of herb teas recommended for stomach irritation actually hurt my stomach as do many fruits (apples, in particular). sometimes plain water causes discomfort.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,393 Member
    Options
    Did you ever do an exclusion diet? If not then this might be the moment to go and try it. It takes a lot of time and dedication, patience and eating lots of food that might seem boring but at least then you know what works for you and what doesn't. I don't have enough problems to diagnose MCAS but I do know that my triggers are so totally anti-reflux that I can't trust list. Camomille tea and chicken breast for example are total 'reflux' triggers for me. I write 'reflux' because it's not really reflux but feels a bit like it. I can has all the spicy food in the world, mind. And coffee or green tea. Egg is something I completely avoid because I just start feeling miserable right away, egg white and yolk. Too much lean protein in general is a problem.
  • NotGvnUp_EJ
    NotGvnUp_EJ Posts: 63 Member
    edited February 10
    Options
    A good brand of probiotics taken on an empty stomach. Also adding a small amount (or more if you like it) of sauerkraut to your diet. The type that must stay refrigerated, such as Kimchi. These are all things that have good bacteria in them . Hope that helps.
  • tomcustombuilder
    tomcustombuilder Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    If you drink alcohol cut it out. If you don’t then start eliminating acidic foods and drinks until you find the culprit. Spicy foods can also be the cause. You start with the most obvious things then go from there
  • Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Elimination diet like lion diet or carnivore diet may help. Check out the Mikahaks Peterson story
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    I researched this a few years ago and yeah the science is pretty much... there's no science related to diet, so we don't know and here's some medication. I did see a few doctors (PHD's) researching and using low histamine, low oxalate and phytate foods etc with really good outcomes and some Dr's say to try a FODMAP diet. Basically eliminating certain foods that can easily effect the gut. Basically remove as much plant material as you can tolerate because most of the compounds that people react negatively to are in plants. If you really wanted to see if a diet and what you eat has an effect try carnivore for 30 days, and I say this because it is the ultimate in elimination diets, also no eggs, fish or shellfish and no aged beef, those can have histamines. We're basically trying to eliminate inflammation from the IgE-Mediated Food Allergies which are directly connected to MCAS and anybody can do something for 30 days and see what happens. Oh, and no you won't die or get heart disease. Of course this is only an opinion.
  • FibroHiker
    FibroHiker Posts: 342 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    I have had some luck with using elimination diets to figure out triggering foods. The lion diet or carnivore diet may be a bit extreme and can be difficult to maintain for an adequate healing phase (60-90 days) before beginning to reintroduce foods.

I definitely recommend the autoimmune diet for a healing phase. That one is not as hard to maintain and then you can slowly reintroduce foods to see if they cause inflammation for you. The healing phase is really important because you need to get to a point of good health first before trying to reintroduce foods to know what is really causing your inflammation. Some people do elimination diets for only 30 days, go back to eating as before, then say, "I guess it wasn't the diet." because they see no difference. You won't know what foods are hurting you unless you get to a point of good health first and that takes time. I did an elimination diet for 90+ days and then reintroduced gluten. My body let me immediately know that was not okay.

I had bad experiences with using probiotics and prebiotics. It didn't make a difference for me and the side effects weren't worth continuing usage.

I take tumeric daily and feel it does make a difference with my GI inflammation. After trying a few different diets I settled on low Fodmap and I stay in phase I. I haven't been able to reintroduce any higher Fodmap foods and I'm okay with that. I'd rather have a happy gut than eat guacamole.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    FibroHiker wrote: »
    I have had some luck with using elimination diets to figure out triggering foods. The lion diet or carnivore diet may be a bit extreme and can be difficult to maintain for an adequate healing phase (60-90 days) before beginning to reintroduce foods.

I definitely recommend the autoimmune diet for a healing phase. That one is not as hard to maintain and then you can slowly reintroduce foods to see if they cause inflammation for you. The healing phase is really important because you need to get to a point of good health first before trying to reintroduce foods to know what is really causing your inflammation. Some people do elimination diets for only 30 days, go back to eating as before, then say, "I guess it wasn't the diet." because they see no difference. You won't know what foods are hurting you unless you get to a point of good health first and that takes time. I did an elimination diet for 90+ days and then reintroduced gluten. My body let me immediately know that was not okay.

I had bad experiences with using probiotics and prebiotics. It didn't make a difference for me and the side effects weren't worth continuing usage.

I take tumeric daily and feel it does make a difference with my GI inflammation. After trying a few different diets I settled on low Fodmap and I stay in phase I. I haven't been able to reintroduce any higher Fodmap foods and I'm okay with that. I'd rather have a happy gut than eat guacamole.

Very well said!!! I agree this is a positive way to go about it.
  • NCGOALIEMOM
    NCGOALIEMOM Posts: 80 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    Have you looked into the anti inflammatory diet? Preservatives and dyes wreak havoc on our inflammation. My crp used to be over 30 (measures inflammation). I went raw vegan and it dropped to 0.065 in 6 months. While raw vegan is extreme, I looked at what was cut out during that time and it was mostly dairy and grains. I stay away from those now and my crp remains in normal range.

I also take medical grade probiotics. I use the brand vsl. They ship to me on dry ice. Any probiotic you take should come from a refrigerator. There really is no such thing as “shelf stable”. That environment kills the cells so don’t waste your money on anything sitting on a shelf.
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 907 Member
    edited April 27
    Options
    Most with mast cell are aided by a low histamine diet. Less histamine, less mast cells are triggered to cause a reaction.

A good friend has mast cell and follows an anti inflammatory, low histamine diet for better quality of life. It’s considered a way of life for most with MCAS.

EDITED - OP was a 1 hit wonder and hasn’t returned since February. Whelp.. that was a waste of time.

For people who reply to threads.. it may be interesting to see if people are active or not. You can click on their profile to see if they are active and if they ever came back. In this case. Nope.

@Leo_King_84

vplnpswgxdzz.jpeg

• Leo_King84
    Leo_King84 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    @SafariGalNYC Good old Necro posting!