Daily accountability and check in

Options
mikeyrowlands
mikeyrowlands Posts: 31 Member
Insipired by 54shadesofblue this Morning, I am going to maintain a thread here as a daily accountability and check in.

A place for me to sit down for a minute, reflect on my journey and share some thoughts, notes and wins.

Todays is the fact that I'm here, logging, with a plan. I'm 46 this year, been lucky with my health but I'm way overweight and probably at risk of a couple of things.

I read a piece yesterday, Epictetus and it got me thinking that the things causing me misery are equally trapping me. Life is too short, so here we go.

I'll call this day 1, had a good brekky and got a coffee next to me, I get to work about an hour early, the commute is easier, it gives me a chance to think and wind up to my day.

I'm just nailing a little self made pot of porridge in a little glass mason jar, it's a good portion, cheap as chips and a tablespoon of protein powder, boiling water over the top ✊️

I've got a banana because I want to get a piece of fruit first thing.

Plan and goal today is to get my 5/day and drink plenty of water.

Replies

• mikeyrowlands
    Options
    This is the epictetus quote.

"The unrestricted person, who has in hand what they will in all events, is free. But anyone who can be restricted, coerced, or pushed into something against what they will is a slave."
  • carlasuz87
    carlasuz87 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiration. I'm in the same boat and just trying to be healthier. Good luck on your journey :)
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    So it's day 2, had a cheat night. I was so drained when I got home, it was the easier choice.

Not a fail, just another day, today will be a different day.
  • Scottishlass5020
    Scottishlass5020 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I aplaud your honesty and your willingingness to be public with your journey. Well done! You've got this. :)
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    So it's day 11, been a tough couple of days. I'm still here. Made some good choices.

I've learned momentum is key, if I can maintain a good habit, the mind switches on and escalates.

Todays goal is:
    To make breakfast for the next 3 days. I have some Creatine, I could do with bringing it to the office to add to breakfast.
    Have water ready for the commute home.
    Rest early.
  • smichelus622
    smichelus622 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I love the quote

Change will only occur when the fear of staying the same is greater than the fear of change
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Day 12, hit all of yesterdays goals.

Today was a great day, all good choices and got up and went to the gym, 25 mins bike then steam/treatment pool and half hour nursing a coffee and scanning my notes for the day.

I think maybe here yesterday, came across a note with someone feeling burned out. Thats me, I struggle most at the end of the day, I'm mentally drained, by the time I navigate the commute, I'm seeking bad choices.

Took today for me, so no commute but tomorrow I'm gonna prep before leaving to have a banana and decent slug of water.

Also trying 14/10 instead of 16/8, I struggle not having breakfast but if I can push to 14/10 maybe I can switch to a much later breakfast and a later lunch, it'll probably help with feeling drained when I commute.
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Day 13, yesterday evening was tough, I couldn't sleep and this is where I usually give in to bad choices.

I was up way too late but only had a chamomile before going back to bed.

I did eat breakfast before the end of my fasting but it works for me for now and I enjoy it. So I think I'll pause the fasting and just concentrate on this momentum of good choices.
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Also, I've got carrots and a bottle of water to eat before my commute to see if I can lift my spirits.
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Day 18, I've not been tracking through the weekend but what a great couple of days.

I did have a takeaway on Thursday and well earned drinks on Saturday but other than that, I've been making great choices, whole foods, fruit and veggies.

Even went for Sunday lunch yesterday and chose a ceasar salad rather than a roast.

Ive been busy and active doing diy/garden work all weekend too.

Back to normality tomorrow and tracking.
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Its the start of day 20, and its being smashed.

Funnily enough, I'm still not tracking but my diet is solid, enjoyed a salad with some tuna yesterday, a banana and breakfast bar.

Dinner was 2 home made burgers with sweetcorn.

I jumped on the home scales this Morning, they aren't my favourite for accuracy but they are good for showing a trendline.

Last week was showing 17.7 Stones and this Morning was 16.9 (average of 3 weighs). I'm taking it as a huge win, my changes are making a difference and I'm on a journey.

Came across this today, really interesting because often, the things I get tangled up in during the day, affect and influence my choices, often for the worse.

Sticking to a plan and making positive progress means making tough choices and making them stick.

"Circumstances are what deceive us-you must be discerning in them. We embrace evil before good. We desire the opposite of what we once desired. Our prayers are at war with our prayers, our plans with our plans."

SENECA, MORAL LETTERS
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Day 21, so 3 weeks. I'm glad I've revisited this thread, it keeps me honest.

Yesterdays Stoic really stuck with me, it's about knowing what the plan is and to make difficult choices to stay on track.

I feel like I'm better equipped this week to do that, I was really hungry yesterday evening on my way home, I thought about the homemade chili that was waiting for me and stuck it out.

I did plan on not having bread or rice but I ended up having a second bowl and two pieces of bread and a bit of rice, this was still the better choice (I think, for me) than snacking later in the evening.

I did track yesterday and well within calories which is good, I've switched my yogurts from the highly processed protein yogurts to the slightly better greek style plain ones.

I think my next plan is to get more exercise going now I've lost a bit more weight. Treadmill is usually my go to but I've got bone spurs and potential tendinitis in both ankles so it tends to get painful. I'll stick to the bike so I can get a sweat on and maybe develop a good squat and core routine because I'm feeling it in my knees and thighs.

Onward into the fray and to get through another day.
  • AmyDahlTorres
    AmyDahlTorres Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Small changes lead to bigger changes. You are doing great. Logging your food isn't only about counting calories, it's also a reminder to include some of those superfoods that work for you. For me, it's spinach, blueberries, and chia seeds. When I don't log my food, I forget to include them in my diet. Then I wonder why I'm hungry :)
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Thats a great point about the tracking, thanks Amy. I also like the idea of putting some chia seeds into my diet.

I am back to tracking on day 23, had a real craving for snacking last night, would usually be toast, peanut butter and a massive bowl of cereal, stuck with a yogurt, one of the last of my protein ones and a banana. Wasnt easy but glad I pushed through it.

Was eyeing up goals for this week and was thinking about Potassium as that seems to he on the lower side. Amy's mention of Chia seeds has given me a focus, I'll include them in my diet over the next week and see if I nudg3 the number up.
  • mikeyrowlands
    Options
    Day 25, what a great weekend, I did agree to takeaway on Friday but had a really delicious burger and a handful of chips which I tracked.

I ended up having a few well earned drinks, its been a busy couple of weeks and was able to rest this weekend.

I've tracked through the weekend and stayed within my count. My wife almost got chia seeds from Asda but they were out.

So, stepping it up this week, according to my motivation plan, I need a mindfulness goal, so here goes.

1 - attend the gym, Tues, no excuses. Cycle for cardio and a much needed sauna.
    2 - get hold of chia seeds for porridge or salads.
    3 - put aside 10 mins every Morning, use Calm listen to Slimpod (I use this too) and reflect on my journal and tracking diary.

Im going to plan to step on the scales at the gym first think Saturday and want to have made a dent in 16st, so some poundage to lose this week.
  • 54ShadesOfBlue
    54ShadesOfBlue Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Keep going dude 👍 you will get there..
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!