Am I just a whiny *B*?

Options

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Weight loss does not always go as your predict/plan. It is sometimes a mystery. But keep doing everything right and you should see results, unless there is some other problem.
    Taking my example, i was stuck at the same weight up and down for around 1.5-2 months. Went off to vacation and ate a lot of yummy junk food and came back and weighed the same (after water weight loss) after that. LOL

So keep doing what you are doing, eat well..Track calories burnt using HRM and eat it back if you are using MFP method(maybe 70% of it if you are not too sure). Include all kind of food in your diet, concentrate on macros(i am too bad in this, i know i should improve here).

Good luck
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I think some of you are right though. I actually may not be eating enough, which is so hard for me to wrap my head around. I think for the next week I'll try the TDEE - 20% thing. I used this website to come up with that. Is this a pretty good one?

http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
    I would not eat more. Some will disagree, but when you are inconsistent in logging I'm guessing you are eating more than you think, especially on weekends, and this is why your loss has stalled.

Technically the TDEE - 20% would be basically the same as the MFP approach with eating back exercise calories to lose 1 lb a week. It's not really eating more food, it just takes the highs and lows out of the eating back exercise calories thing since they're already figured in.
  • LiminalAscendance
    LiminalAscendance Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    When the only response someone can give to a well-written and comprehensive suggestion is "lolwut," you can probably safely ignore anything else they have to say on the topic.
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Hi,

I agree with watching our sodium intake. This is something that often gets over looked but can make a big difference. :wink:

You said you weight your food and are good about tracking everything. So great job on that. :drinker:
    How's your water intake? Are you drinking lots of water daily?

One thing I really recommend is a heat rate monitor. I find the the app is super great, but not at estimating my burned cals. Since you are being so great at logging your foods, maybe invest in a heart rate monitor. This will insure your burned cals are as accurate as possible. :glasses:

I also agree with a lot of comments to not be too stressed or focused on weight as it does fluctuate a lot depending on a great number of factors. For me, I like to track my body measurements and use Body TrackIt to do that. It helps me track my inches, BMI, body weight, body fat, companies pictures, it's motivating and fun. Maybe look into something like that. :smile:

Either way, whatever you do, hang in there. Getting healthy, dropping weight, sculpting your body and life... it's a lifestyle change. these changes it take time, patience and dedication. It looks like you are on the right track, so keep going, think positive and you will succeed. :flowerforyou:

Good luck and best wishes on this great journey you are on. :flowerforyou:
  • MsWallwoman
    Options
    Don't be a poopie-head! :huh:
    [/quote]

Lol. Good for you! Lol.
  • Isakizza
    Isakizza Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    First off, I personally would eat at least 300 more calories than what you stated, especially since you workout.

I'm 5'3 and 184 now, I eat anywhere between 1700-1900 every single day and still lose. Also... you can for sure give yourself more time. Be patient & Be consistent.

I spent 4 months at a stall, but didn't give up. Now losing again and super happy.
    Just make some adjustments and hang in there.
    :wink:

21525558.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    When the only response someone can give to a well-written and comprehensive suggestion is "lolwut," you can probably safely ignore anything else they have to say on the topic.

Indeed
  • CATindeeHAT
    CATindeeHAT Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Started all this on 8-5. Literally dropped 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks - I'm sure a lot of water. Here it is 9-5 and the scale has not moved in over 2 solid weeks. In fact, I go up 1 and down 1 over and over and over. I'm exercising like a lunatic, drinking more than my fair share of water, and making super food choices and staying within the 1260-1600 calorie range. I'm 5'3", 39 and started at 259 lbs. Isn't it supposed to come off easier in the beginning? It used to. I'm not quitting - just ticked. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment. Go ahead, give it to me, I can take it...

This is why you're not losing
    > http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

Period.

• pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    lolwut?

Which part would you like clarification on?

It's too much of a broscience ****storm to even begin!

LOL! No, it's not. It is a bit over-simplified in the carb, protein, fat paragraph. Go google some medical journals and inform yourself.

Stop counting the yoga. MFP really over-estimates those calories. Track that you went by giving yourself, say 10 minutes in the log.

Go ahead and count your elliptical, but use the heart rate monitor on it to tell you what your calories are. I stay on until it says I have burned 300 calories according to the built-in monitor, and then log it as 30 minutes (MFP says that is 300 calories worth).

I also suggest cutting down on the sodium. I try to stay well below my suggested amount. Every once in a while I want some pickles, but I stay away from foods like that on a daily basis. Mrs. Dash makes some great, salt-free seasonings. Also, lemons can trick the tongue into thinking you've salted something. Instead of sprinkling salt on with a shaker, put the salt in your hand first and physically pinch out a bit at a time onto your food. Once you are used to not eating as much salt, you will become more sensitive to the taste of it. Since I have been low-sodium for a while now, it burns my tongue when there is a lot of salt in something. Anyway, it will help you with water weight, too.

Add more water. Just an extra glass or two. If I'm not getting up at least once in the night to go to the restroom, I know I am not drinking enough. Water is needed to help flush out the byproducts of the body using fat.

BigCed had a great idea of bumping up the protein. Try fish, it'll really keep you full.

If you want to eat back your calories, I would add in some heavy weight lifting to your routine. Fat doesn't need fat to maintain itself, it needs food (protein and carbohydrates). Muscle needs fat, protein, and carbohydrates to maintain itself. So, when you do exercise, and are eating at a calorie deficiency, you are making your body use up the food you have eaten that day, and then it starts using up fat. It uses carbs first, then protein, then fat. If you eat back calories used in cardio, this is going to decrease the amount of fat your body can use in the day (because it wants to use the food first). Now, if you build muscle too, the body uses food for the cardio, the weight lifting, and maintaining the muscle. Once it runs out of food, it starts burning fat. The more muscle you have, the more food and fat the body needs to maintain that muscle. So, adding more muscle is going to speed up the weight loss. Do keep in mind that while you will visually shrink when weight lifting, the scale will move more slowly (muscle has greater density per pound than fat; think of the size of a 1-pound block of lead vs. a 1-pound block of feathers - the feather block will be a lot larger, but both weigh the same).

Not oversimplified. It's just that you read some articles, didn't understand the details, and gave this garbled mess as a result. It's full of non-sequitur and untruth. Sorry to be harsh, but some details are worth getting right. It's a deficit, not a deficiency, and fat stores get used up whenever you burn more energy than you take in. Period.

Please explain to me why you think protein and carbs are food, but fat is not? Food is the material you eat when you eat. Inside of food you will find your macronutrients, which are fat, protein, and carbs, and you micronutrients. Some are essential. Incidentally, carbs are not essential, but fat is.

And sodium, I'm sorry, does not make a lick of a difference to your body composition. Going too low on sodium is not a good idea, and in any case it's only relevant to someone who needs to get their body weight down for some reason, not someone hoping to stop being fat. It's also just not true from a culinary perspective that you can substitute lemon (sour) for salt. As a foodie, I think that part offended me the most, although using Mrs. Dash for anything is a close second.

Further, drinking so much water that you interrupt your sleep is not going to help your weight loss. Good sleeping habits will help you recover from workouts though. That includes not overdoing the water.

Which brings me to water - if you actually READ any science on that, you would know that drinking when you are thirsty is just fine. The oft repeated 8-10 glasses a day actually has no basis in research whatsoever.
  • egh1974
    Options
    Started all this on 8-5. Literally dropped 12 lbs in the first 2 weeks - I'm sure a lot of water. Here it is 9-5 and the scale has not moved in over 2 solid weeks. In fact, I go up 1 and down 1 over and over and over. I'm exercising like a lunatic, drinking more than my fair share of water, and making super food choices and staying within the 1260-1600 calorie range. I'm 5'3", 39 and started at 259 lbs. Isn't it supposed to come off easier in the beginning? It used to. I'm not quitting - just ticked. Maybe I need an attitude adjustment. Go ahead, give it to me, I can take it...

This is why you're not losing
    > http://youtu.be/JVjWPclrWVY

Period.

That is fantastic! Thanks!
  • egh1974
    Options
    lolwut?

LOL! No, it's not. It is a bit over-simplified in the carb, protein, fat paragraph. Go google some medical journals and inform yourself.

Stop counting the yoga. MFP really over-estimates those calories. Track that you went by giving yourself, say 10 minutes in the log.

Go ahead and count your elliptical, but use the heart rate monitor on it to tell you what your calories are. I stay on until it says I have burned 300 calories according to the built-in monitor, and then log it as 30 minutes (MFP says that is 300 calories worth).

I also suggest cutting down on the sodium. I try to stay well below my suggested amount. Every once in a while I want some pickles, but I stay away from foods like that on a daily basis. Mrs. Dash makes some great, salt-free seasonings. Also, lemons can trick the tongue into thinking you've salted something. Instead of sprinkling salt on with a shaker, put the salt in your hand first and physically pinch out a bit at a time onto your food. Once you are used to not eating as much salt, you will become more sensitive to the taste of it. Since I have been low-sodium for a while now, it burns my tongue when there is a lot of salt in something. Anyway, it will help you with water weight, too.

Add more water. Just an extra glass or two. If I'm not getting up at least once in the night to go to the restroom, I know I am not drinking enough. Water is needed to help flush out the byproducts of the body using fat.

BigCed had a great idea of bumping up the protein. Try fish, it'll really keep you full.

If you want to eat back your calories, I would add in some heavy weight lifting to your routine. Fat doesn't need fat to maintain itself, it needs food (protein and carbohydrates). Muscle needs fat, protein, and carbohydrates to maintain itself. So, when you do exercise, and are eating at a calorie deficiency, you are making your body use up the food you have eaten that day, and then it starts using up fat. It uses carbs first, then protein, then fat. If you eat back calories used in cardio, this is going to decrease the amount of fat your body can use in the day (because it wants to use the food first). Now, if you build muscle too, the body uses food for the cardio, the weight lifting, and maintaining the muscle. Once it runs out of food, it starts burning fat. The more muscle you have, the more food and fat the body needs to maintain that muscle. So, adding more muscle is going to speed up the weight loss. Do keep in mind that while you will visually shrink when weight lifting, the scale will move more slowly (muscle has greater density per pound than fat; think of the size of a 1-pound block of lead vs. a 1-pound block of feathers - the feather block will be a lot larger, but both weigh the same).

Not oversimplified. It's just that you read some articles, didn't understand the details, and gave this garbled mess as a result. It's full of non-sequitur and untruth. Sorry to be harsh, but some details are worth getting right. It's a deficit, not a deficiency, and fat stores get used up whenever you burn more energy than you take in. Period.

Please explain to me why you think protein and carbs are food, but fat is not? Food is the material you eat when you eat. Inside of food you will find your macronutrients, which are fat, protein, and carbs, and you micronutrients. Some are essential. Incidentally, carbs are not essential, but fat is.

And sodium, I'm sorry, does not make a lick of a difference to your body composition. Going too low on sodium is not a good idea, and in any case it's only relevant to someone who needs to get their body weight down for some reason, not someone hoping to stop being fat. It's also just not true from a culinary perspective that you can substitute lemon (sour) for salt. As a foodie, I think that part offended me the most, although using Mrs. Dash for anything is a close second.

Further, drinking so much water that you interrupt your sleep is not going to help your weight loss. Good sleeping habits will help you recover from workouts though. That includes not overdoing the water.

Which brings me to water - if you actually READ any science on that, you would know that drinking when you are thirsty is just fine. The oft repeated 8-10 glasses a day actually has no basis in research whatsoever.

I am sorry that a response to my post caused you to be offended by spices. Generally, spices are on the same isle with salt, so be sure to avert your eyes when you travel down that isle, lest you be offended by their presence.
  • justanotherloser007
    Options

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There is no research in the 8-10 glasses of day for water? So, it's like a meme? Please enlighten me. This is first I have heard of this. Is there a link somewhere that you can post about this? I am not sure how you can READ any science on something that has no basis in research whatsoever - sounds contradictive? Thank you for bending my brain though, that is always fun :huh:

We are about 70% water. Must be pretty important, unless we really ARE meatbags like Bender has told us all along.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    What really helps me through a mini/long plateau is an app called Libra. It's free and all it does is track your weight and it gives you a line that shows where your weight is going. So even though my weight is all over the place from day to day and week to week it only tracks the trend. As long as the trend is downward then I'm happy.

I'm sure yours is on a downward trend as well provided that you're working out and accurately counting your calories.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options

Whoa, whoa, whoa. There is no research in the 8-10 glasses of day for water? So, it's like a meme? Please enlighten me. This is first I have heard of this. Is there a link somewhere that you can post about this? I am not sure how you can READ any science on something that has no basis in research whatsoever - sounds contradictive? Thank you for bending my brain though, that is always fun :huh:

We are about 70% water. Must be pretty important, unless we really ARE meatbags like Bender has told us all along.

You need to drink enough to be hydrated. If your urine is pale yellow then you're doing fine and your food is largely comprised of water so you get a good amount just through eating especially if you consume fruits and veggies (an apple is 85% water). The 8 glasses of water a day myth was started by a bottled water company, wonder what their motive might have been. The only way water will help you lose weight is by filling you up so you aren't hungry. There are no magical weight loss effects like the popular "flushing out the fat" theory.
  • faithdanyell
    faithdanyell Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    You are eating to many calories, I am much heavier than you are and my daily calories are 1620 recalculate your goals and stick with it.
  • action_figure
    action_figure Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Are you female? I find that my weight loss is kind of cyclical. I'll maintain or fluctuate for two weeks, and then WHOOSH! I'll drop a whole bunch the other two weeks.
  • Gettinfit242
    Gettinfit242 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    yeah im noticing what everyone is saying about the calorie burn... i do the elliptical at level 12 (resistance and whatever the other one is! LOL) for 35 minutes and it tells me ive only burned 350 calories on the machine. But if i select "elliptical trainer" on MFP and put in 35 minutes (it does not specify the level you do, or intesity) and it gave me 370 calories!! so i think its off quite a bit

I also agree that you should subtract those minutes for cool downs and stuff.. like when doing yoga for 60 minutes, its actually probably closer to 50 minutes. try to count everything UNDER instead of over when it comes to exercise... and OVER estimate with food cause odds are you are doing the opposite with both, not purposely...

and lastly, you have to be patient and keep at it.. i went 6 weeks of eating HEALTHY, tracking and doing P90X DAILY, to see NO results on the scale and it was beyond frustraing.. i was almost ready to give up... but in week 7 its liek i blinked and 10 pounds dropped off me!!! i could SEE definition in my arms and legs....so dont give up, keep at it and maybe even take weekly pictures to keep you motivated...if you are truly trying hard and eating healthy, you WILL SEE results!!! good luck!!! :)
  • pcastagner
    Options
    lolwut?

I am sorry that a response to my post caused you to be offended by spices. Generally, spices are on the same isle with salt, so be sure to avert your eyes when you travel down that isle, lest you be offended by their presence.

I do try to avert my eyes whenever I see mrs dash.
  • pcastagner
    Options

In science, one does not perform experiments to disprove a made up and arbitrary claim.

There is no research behind the 8-10 glasses of water a day claim, sorry.

Why would anyone bother to run a study to disprove a claim with no basis? It's like trying to prove there isn't a higher power.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

In science, one does not perform experiments to disprove a made up and arbitrary claim.

There is no research behind the 8-10 glasses of water a day claim, sorry.

Why would anyone bother to run a study to disprove a claim with no basis? It's like trying to prove there isn't a higher power.

True enough.

However, if anyone is curious, you can Google 8 glasses of water myth, and see what's out there. You'll find (among others) the usual unsupported crap, several news articles quoting various doctors (including nephrologists) in support of debunking this myth, a psychology review that suggests the source of the myth was:

"...

may have started in 1945 when the Food and Nutrition Board of the National Research Council recommended approximately “1 milliliter of water for each calorie of food,” which would amount to roughly 2 to 2.5 quarts per day (64 to 80 ounces).

In its next sentence the board stated, “[M]ost of this quantity is contained in prepared foods.” But that last sentence seems to have been missed, so that the recommendation was erroneously interpreted as how much water a person should drink each day.

..."

Then you can look for actual scientific research - not blogs - on drinking 8 glasses of water a day. That will take you a while.

Then you can make up your own mind.