Am I just a whiny *B*?

Options
12346»

Replies

• emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Not oversimplified. It's just that you read some articles, didn't understand the details, and gave this garbled mess as a result. It's full of non-sequitur and untruth. Sorry to be harsh, but some details are worth getting right. It's a deficit, not a deficiency, and fat stores get used up whenever you burn more energy than you take in. Period.

Please explain to me why you think protein and carbs are food, but fat is not? Food is the material you eat when you eat. Inside of food you will find your macronutrients, which are fat, protein, and carbs, and you micronutrients. Some are essential. Incidentally, carbs are not essential, but fat is.

And sodium, I'm sorry, does not make a lick of a difference to your body composition. Going too low on sodium is not a good idea, and in any case it's only relevant to someone who needs to get their body weight down for some reason, not someone hoping to stop being fat. It's also just not true from a culinary perspective that you can substitute lemon (sour) for salt. As a foodie, I think that part offended me the most, although using Mrs. Dash for anything is a close second.

Further, drinking so much water that you interrupt your sleep is not going to help your weight loss. Good sleeping habits will help you recover from workouts though. That includes not overdoing the water.

Which brings me to water - if you actually READ any science on that, you would know that drinking when you are thirsty is just fine. The oft repeated 8-10 glasses a day actually has no basis in research whatsoever.

There we go! I knew there were specific bits you didn't like!

Yep, I used the wrong word. I should have said deficit. Whoops.

Fat, in the body, does not use itself to maintain itself. Fat stored in the body is created from food. Food contains carbs and proteins, and yes, fats. However, I was trying to go for as simple a response as I could so I didn't confuse the OP. When going about daily life, carbs are used first, because they are easiest to process. The body doesn't store much of them. Then it uses the rest of the food you bring in, along with the fat already in your body. Any food left over gets turned into more fat to be used later. Your body uses different mixtures of carbs, protein and already-existent-body-fat at different ratios during different times of different activities. I didn't read some mumbo-jumbo "fitness magazine" article. I did actual research, thank-you-very-much. The whole point was to say that paying attention to the carb and protein ratio in one's diet is helpful, because it puts fewer sugars into the body.

As for the lemon, it is a very old trick used for people with illness such as congestive heart failure, who need to minimize their sodium intake, but still want to not eat bland food. It does not have the exact same effect as salt, but it adds enough flavor to get me past needing to put more salt on my food. I use it mainly for fish and chicken. If I need to use salt for something, I work it into my diet.

Does salt change your body composition? No. But, as an anecdotal aside, it does cause me to hold on to more water weight, which does affect my body SHAPE. I'm just puffy when I eat a lot of salt. OP was routinely going very near or over her sodium limit.

Mrs. Dash may not be awesome, but it is very quick and easy for people in a rush. Is it what I use at home? No. Is it what I use to add to my microwave steamer bags so I don't have to try to navigate a restaurant menu and guess at calories? Yes. It is fast, and I can do it when I am half-asleep and have to leave the house in 2 minutes. Just because you don't like it does not mean it is wrong.

Water. You're wrong. Water helps keep the intestines moving along (which, by the way, is a very common complaint for women - slow bowels). Going potty gets rid of stuff your body doesn't need anymore. Getting that stuff out faster keeps false weight from showing up on the scale. I said that waking up to go to the bathroom is how I gauge MYSELF. I keep water by my bed and drink it throughout the night. It works for me. My scale usually reads over a pound lighter in the morning vs. when I went to bed, IF I stay well-hydrated. For me, that includes drinking water when I wake up thirsty, a brief trip to the bathroom, and then back to sleep.
  • emirror
    emirror Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    In science, one does not perform experiments to disprove a made up and arbitrary claim.

There is no research behind the 8-10 glasses of water a day claim, sorry.

Why would anyone bother to run a study to disprove a claim with no basis? It's like trying to prove there isn't a higher power.

What??? Yes they do! They perform experiments to prove/disprove hypothesis ALL. THE. TIME. That's what science DOES! They observe something, or hear a crazy hypothesis, and then they start testing it!

With that craziness, I am now done with this thread.
  • pcastagner
    pcastagner Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    In science, one does not perform experiments to disprove a made up and arbitrary claim.

There is no research behind the 8-10 glasses of water a day claim, sorry.

Why would anyone bother to run a study to disprove a claim with no basis? It's like trying to prove there isn't a higher power.

What??? Yes they do! They perform experiments to prove/disprove hypothesis ALL. THE. TIME. That's what science DOES! They observe something, or hear a crazy hypothesis, and then they start testing it!

With that craziness, I am now done with this thread.

No, generally you start with a hypothesis that is a POSITIVE, not a negative. Then you do analysis after the research and come up with a statement saying you supported or did not support it. Further, the very idea of proving something is not scientific. That's rationalism, whereas science is based in empiricism. You never get to the point of "proof" in science, you just build evidence to support a theory. Up until Einstein, the best theory of gravity was attraction between two bodies, but we now have something better.
    If physics believed in "proof" there would be no need to heed Einstein or ponder the new problems caused by his model.

Dismissing me doesn't make your claims true. It does show you aren't interested in questioning your assumptions.

Can anyone tell me where the research is please? Particularly on the water claim?
  • pcastagner
    Options
    Not oversimplified. It's just that you read some articles, didn't understand the details, and gave this garbled mess as a result. It's full of non-sequitur and untruth. Sorry to be harsh, but some details are worth getting right. It's a deficit, not a deficiency, and fat stores get used up whenever you burn more energy than you take in. Period.

Please explain to me why you think protein and carbs are food, but fat is not? Food is the material you eat when you eat. Inside of food you will find your macronutrients, which are fat, protein, and carbs, and you micronutrients. Some are essential. Incidentally, carbs are not essential, but fat is.

And sodium, I'm sorry, does not make a lick of a difference to your body composition. Going too low on sodium is not a good idea, and in any case it's only relevant to someone who needs to get their body weight down for some reason, not someone hoping to stop being fat. It's also just not true from a culinary perspective that you can substitute lemon (sour) for salt. As a foodie, I think that part offended me the most, although using Mrs. Dash for anything is a close second.

Further, drinking so much water that you interrupt your sleep is not going to help your weight loss. Good sleeping habits will help you recover from workouts though. That includes not overdoing the water.

Which brings me to water - if you actually READ any science on that, you would know that drinking when you are thirsty is just fine. The oft repeated 8-10 glasses a day actually has no basis in research whatsoever.

There we go! I knew there were specific bits you didn't like!

Yep, I used the wrong word. I should have said deficit. Whoops.

Fat, in the body, does not use itself to maintain itself. Fat stored in the body is created from food. Food contains carbs and proteins, and yes, fats. However, I was trying to go for as simple a response as I could so I didn't confuse the OP. When going about daily life, carbs are used first, because they are easiest to process. The body doesn't store much of them. Then it uses the rest of the food you bring in, along with the fat already in your body. Any food left over gets turned into more fat to be used later. Your body uses different mixtures of carbs, protein and already-existent-body-fat at different ratios during different times of different activities. I didn't read some mumbo-jumbo "fitness magazine" article. I did actual research, thank-you-very-much. The whole point was to say that paying attention to the carb and protein ratio in one's diet is helpful, because it puts fewer sugars into the body.

As for the lemon, it is a very old trick used for people with illness such as congestive heart failure, who need to minimize their sodium intake, but still want to not eat bland food. It does not have the exact same effect as salt, but it adds enough flavor to get me past needing to put more salt on my food. I use it mainly for fish and chicken. If I need to use salt for something, I work it into my diet.

Does salt change your body composition? No. But, as an anecdotal aside, it does cause me to hold on to more water weight, which does affect my body SHAPE. I'm just puffy when I eat a lot of salt. OP was routinely going very near or over her sodium limit.

Mrs. Dash may not be awesome, but it is very quick and easy for people in a rush. Is it what I use at home? No. Is it what I use to add to my microwave steamer bags so I don't have to try to navigate a restaurant menu and guess at calories? Yes. It is fast, and I can do it when I am half-asleep and have to leave the house in 2 minutes. Just because you don't like it does not mean it is wrong.

Water. You're wrong. Water helps keep the intestines moving along (which, by the way, is a very common complaint for women - slow bowels). Going potty gets rid of stuff your body doesn't need anymore. Getting that stuff out faster keeps false weight from showing up on the scale. I said that waking up to go to the bathroom is how I gauge MYSELF. I keep water by my bed and drink it throughout the night. It works for me. My scale usually reads over a pound lighter in the morning vs. when I went to bed, IF I stay well-hydrated. For me, that includes drinking water when I wake up thirsty, a brief trip to the bathroom, and then back to sleep.

Where did you learn these theories of nutrition? And more important, who taught you this terminology? It's all over the place and too confused to even begin. Why are you spreading this around?

Btw, nothing in your body could possibly use itself to support itself. That would essentially be a perpetual motion machine...

And believe me, lean people retaining water still look lean, and fat people on low sodium still look fat. Eyes on the prize and don't forget to get enough electrolytes.

False weight... Is that similar to artificial erudition?
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    *snip*

I'd much, MUCH rather have a full and uninterrupted night's sleep than be up peeing and drinking unnecessarily. And most of us weigh less in the mornings without drinking all night. **ETA the rest of the sentence** than we do in the evenings.
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one thinking that if OP has been playing around with her diet and food as much as she describes over the course of 2 weeks, THAT might be the culprit? If someone else said it on here already, I apologize because I missed it.

Any time you adjust your calories or try a new approach it takes at least a few weeks for your body to show results. So, if you're constantly changing your calories and macros, your body is going to hold onto weight because it has no clue what it may or may not get the next day.

I also agree that MFP is pretty off in it's calories burned calculations. And if you aren't eating back your exercise calories, you need to be doing that (unless you're going off of TDEE and have already accounted for your workouts).
  • pcastagner
    Options
    *snip*

I'd much, MUCH rather have a full and uninterrupted night's sleep than be up peeing and drinking unnecessarily. And most of us weigh less in the mornings without drinking all night.

Lighter in the morning? Is that false light, or true light?
  • egh1974
    egh1974 Posts: 147
    Options
    *snip*

I'd much, MUCH rather have a full and uninterrupted night's sleep than be up peeing and drinking unnecessarily. And most of us weigh less in the mornings without drinking all night.

I'm not sure why you feel like you have to be so rude. I realize that people like you get their rocks off by putting others down, but I would appreciate it if you would stop now. Please trust that most of us are intelligent enough to read through all this information, conduct our own research, and come to a reasonable conclusion without feeling bullied into it. Move along now, move along. Nothing to see here....
  • pcastagner
    Options
    *snip*

I'm not sure why you feel like you have to be so rude. I realize that people like you get their rocks off by putting others down, but I would appreciate it if you would stop now. Please trust that most of us are intelligent enough to read through all this information, conduct our own research, and come to a reasonable conclusion without feeling bullied into it. Move along now, move along. Nothing to see here....

Meh. I get my rocks off in other ways. I get annoyed with and express about misinformation it here. Public forum. I haven't actually put anyone down. I did trash a bad post, on its merits.