WOMEN AGES 50+FOR MAY 2024

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Today I'm going to tour the closest memory care home. I don't think Dad is ready for that, and I would rather have him home than sell the house and move myself. But it won't hurt to have information.

I hear that if we don't reserve a space now, he won't be able to get in when we need it. That sounds like high pressure sales to me. We will see what they say.

Annie in Delaware

Unfortunately, that's often the way it is. I've heard that you've got to reserve a spot in many places (in Canada and Australia) a good 6 months out. Seems to me, that's the way it was for my grandmother. You can't just decide to move your loved one next weekend or next month. Most of the time, the places are full up and the only way to get in is for someone who reside there to depart.

M in Oz

When you go see this place, ask them how long their waiting list is and find out if it is first come first serve or if people with certain medically confirmed conditions might be higher on the list. Here, people needing residential or home aged care get assessed, and the results of the assessment can determine if they are at the bottom of the waiting list or possibly a bit further up.

M in Oz
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Well guys supposed to come this morning to finish things up in the kitchen.
    I tried to balance the checkbook but with my husbands overseas orders and various international fees tacked on, it was impossible. I will make him figure it out. He has been ordering lots of little figures to paint, and little towns to put together for his solo wargaming. We have a huge table in sons room with a city laid out, men attacking it, little tabs here and there for turns, etc. He gets such a kick doing all that. He's really talented in small intricate painting. I will try to get some photos today.
    Had a nice chat with my eldest sister yesterday. I am so grateful for her! She will have her 69th birthday later this week. She is camping with her kids.
    Today after the guys leave I will make some kielbasa sausage, onion, cabbage and a few potatoes in my chicken stock.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Today is a good day for us to do something healthy. Can anyone explain what purpose putting a pillow on the fridge has??

wka7yuy6f871.jpeg
    9qrldjcajhef.jpeg
    2zrrpjprx5ku.jpeg

RVRita in Roswell
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Sheesh this kitty is gonna be the death of me,I need uninterrupted sleep..I love her dearly but goodness she is all over the place at night.
    Heather- thinking of you as you get ready for your surgery..all will be well..you'll bounce back in no time. I was watching my favorite YouTube guys Cruising with Ben and David they are based in the UK and they were takiing the train to Southampton to get on The QUeen Mary 2- and as they were getting on saw Hove on the sign above and thought of you..
    Going to pick up a few groceries today and then do some laundry.

can you tire her out in the evening(get a laser pointer or some other "toy")
    Thankfully, most of ours sleep through the night and rarely get the zoomies but occasionally they do. Right on me because I am on the side of the bed next to the catio opening.
    I let the little kittens out of their playpen last night for the first time and they got to explore the living room. They had a great time running around and went right to sleep when they went back in their playpen. I added extra toys to it too.
    Saw their sibling outside. I really need to get it caught and brought in to tame it down.

Debbie
  • LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Tina - I tried handwriting recognition programs like a decade ago and wasn't impressed, but I'm sure the technology has gotten much better. Unfortunately, my hands have now gotten worse... thank goodness, though, that typing doesn't hurt. So I just use my laptop like a PC tower, with a wireless keyboard and mouse hung off it, and cast it up to my TV. I've even moved all my journaling over to OneNote - I just won't write by hand anymore... Kinda miss it, there was a rhythm and joy to writing by hand. Hope you really enjoy working that way - Have you mentioned what kind of work you do? I'm interested to know what can be accomplished on a tablet.

Beth - I totally agree that taking us with you on your journey has been so interesting and wonderful to me as well. I appreciate you taking the time!

I did my yoga for the morning, once I made the decision to stay inside, plus got a pan of focaccia bread made and in and out of the oven. Had a small piece of that with the remains of last night's 3Ps dinner, pasta and pesto with parmesan and mushrooms for lunch. Didn't ever eat breakfast, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Yoga was 40 minutes/240 calories, as I added some repetitions to a number of moves - lit them up in green on the list. Time to start finding a couple new poses and/or exercises to add or to swap in. 20 reps is pretty much maximum for any movement... after that my form starts to get iffy. For the new chums, my yoga set:
    5dqggxyk18sc.png

Time to jump in the shower. Will get one of my quilt panels quilted first, though.

Later ma babies,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,714 Member
    Options
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    Pheeew ,just got back from grocery shopping, I went all over the place...and now im ready to relax..ive been bad today didn't really eat anything but a 100 calorie bag of walnuts and almonds..drinking alot of water.. wrote a list and bought all healthy things..did buy a rotisserie chicken I might have that in a wrap with lettuce and tomatoes ,did 3rd dose of Trulicity this morning have 1 more before I pick up 2nd script..one thing is I can walk by all the stuff I used to crave sweets,crackers,chips fast food without a care in the world.. this isn't your moms weight loss med where you were speeding along at the speed of light..
    Im taking it slow and making good decisions..
    Heather- thinking of you my friend.. xoxo😘
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    :smile:
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stats for the day -

Walk w/family- 2hrs 7min 21sec, 59elev, 3.0ap, 80ahr, 92mhr, 6.28mi= 624c
    Strava app= 770c
    Walk home to gym- 11.14min, 2.87ap, .53mi= 61c
    Strava app = 65c
    Treadmill jog- 51.05min, 140ahr, 166mhr, 154spm, 5.6sp for 3mi, 6.2sp for 1-1/2mi, 7.0sp for last 1/2 mi, 10.13min mi, 5mi= 528c
    *had regular gym shorts on this time:0)*
    Walk gym to home- 11.09min, 2.84ap, .54mi= 54c
    Strava app= 66c
    Walk to donate blood and back- 23.40min, 2.74ap, 1.07mi= 140c
    Strava app= 132c

Total cal 1407

Remembered to wear my gym shorts so I was able to run the 5 miles without my clothes falling off

• sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Lisa- I write and edit training materials. I just need a word processor of some sort and access to the Internet. May try handwriting some of it and see how it feels. I did that when I first started doing this job 10+ years ago using paper and preferred it. I use a setup like yours on occasion too. I actually type very fast, but I miss the pen to paper experience.

Tina in CA
  • dlfk202000
    edited May 29
    Options
    Went to Walmart to pick up groceries for MIL and found amazing deals on meat. Picked up 4 packs of sliced chicken breast- 3 for the cats, one for me, 2 large packs of thin cut boneless pork chops and a pack of steak for dh(I am not a fan of steak most of the time unless it is super tender).
    Pulled out the big meat tenderizer I got at a garage sale years ago(BEST $20 I have ever spent at one)
    Processed out the pork chops and the pack of chicken. Now I have 7 packs of 4 pork cutlets and 3 packs of 2 huge chicken cutlets all for under $20. Now I can make quick meals and know the meat will be tender. I will take two packs of the pork up to cook at mom's this weekend. Hoping my friend comes out and helps plant the garden and stays for dinner.
    7otb4aieof3s.png
    dfoghovwm0ux.png
    fu0xhb518y7b.png
    aaiisuwytw0e.png

I will make katsu or schnitzel with them
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    also got 2 whole chickens for just over $4 so roasted them for over 2 hrs on low. Added a few fingerling potatoes an hour in.
    Having a late lunch(skipped breakfast like usual,)/early dinner.
    Only had half an ear of corn and two cups of tea before this(it is just after 4:00PM here)
    I have Zumba at 6:30 so need to eat now.
  • pipcd34
    Options
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    edited May 30
    Options
    BK called Tues and said I didn’t have to come in since there wasn’t much prep to be done. Hmmm...this happened last week, too. So tomorrow when I go in I'll talk to the store manager (assuming she’s there) and suggest that I do the bacon (which probably only takes a few hours) and then work on prep for at least the tomatoes and onions since those are the most labor intensive.

But on the bright side, I got to go to the water aerobics class on Tues and then did an Arms of Steel DVD today and then the water aerobics class. Actually, I mainly did my own thing since I didn’t want to have to wait until the class started.

The other day I sent my friend in Switzerland a “thinking of you” ecard. I haven’t heard from her. BUT I haven’t gotten an email from the card co saying that it wasn’t viewed. So that’s good. I’d email her husband to ask if she’s OK, but I’m worried that he might get on her case to reply to me, and she probably doesn’t need that

Birthdays – I gave Denise a bday card when we were up there (her bday is this Friday). I was so taken aback. She had PJ say to us “where’s the money”. See, I usually put a $2 bill in each card I send him.

Heather – so happy for you that it’ll be here soon

M – yup, you’re right, Antarctica is the only place that doesn’t get tornadoes. Isn’t it terrible when you have to wish someone would die so that you can get your family member in there????

Annie – don’t’ quit horseback riding. You need it for you

Margaret – my condolences on the passing of your friend

Strung more popcorn today. I’ve made a deal with myself. I can’t go in the pool until all the popcorn is done. I already have two bags and am working on the third one. I’ll do 4 in all

We leave Friday to go to Steve’s picnic. Jess and Colby will be there, but they have to leave Sat. night after it’s over since she has to work on Sun. The gal who covers for her wouldn’t work that day

mcmillionmail – pip ALWAYS kicks butt with her workouts

Rori – I go to the Y for my deep water class

Lisa – hmmm…I haven’t made banana bread for Vince in a while. Thanks for the idea. I’ll probably make that for him next

Beth – yes, thank you for taking us on your journey. I’ve learned so much

pip – LOL remembering your gym shorts

Debbie – I’ve never seen a meat tenderizer like that. Wish I had one.

A while ago Vince helped this lady with a lot of trains and model cars that her brother who had just passed had. She really wanted what they were worth, not just donating them, because they were in such good condition. Well, Vince inventoried everything, got them in the right boxes, then called Trainz who came and picked them up. She got a lot of $$ for them. Anyway her brother was also into music, had some really, really good music equipment – speakers, receivers, etc. She really doesn’t want to put them on Facebook Marketplace or any place like that mainly because she’s alone and she’s just concerned if someone comes to her house.

Anyway, Vince volunteered to put the speakers on Craigslist and have them come here to inspect and try them out. When we got there, they were SO SO heavy we didn’t know if we could get them in the car to bring here. Jess and Colby are supposed to be here in a few weeks so we’ll ask Colby to go help since he’s strong. I did take a pineapple angel food cake to her.

My sinuses are REALLY acting up. Plus, I can still feel the callous. I'm going to try the Dr. Scholls callous remover pads one more time and if they don't work, I'll call the MD to see which kind of MD I should see about it.

Michele NC