Habit Stacking: Starting small to build up to big goals.

Options
This has been my new favorite approach. I've never been a fan of trying to do everything all at once and I know I need to make small changes toward a bigger goal. Every week I choose a new small goal to work on that builds on something week before. Eat breakfast-->track my protein-->aim for 100g daily. If I need to work on a goal longer, I work on it longer. Increasing my protein took a lot of planning when I noticed I was only getting about 60g/day and my goal is to also build muscle. The fact I took the time to track it first gave me the ability to plan ahead and get ready for the next change.
Do you like to habit stack? Do you want to try it?
What are your steps to a bigger goal?
Remember to allow yourself some grace when things get hectic. Not every week is going to follow your plan.
What's your back up? I keep a few cans of tuna at work for an emergency protein boost if something derails my day. Little squeeze of lemon and I have a 29g quick snack.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,056 Member
    Options
    This is a really great approach. It's really necessary with nutrition, exercise, and weight management to have a whole long list of stuff and it's impossible and overwhelming to do them all at once.

Protein tracking is great.

Wait till you've mastered the macros and start working on the micros. Holy cow is that a Tetris puzzle nightmare. I still work on that 15 years into this!
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    That protein goal (100-125 g for me) was a tough nut to crack. The good thing is that when I tried to make that protein goal, the rest of the food seemed to fall into place. My go-to has been Muscle Milk, at 150 calories for 25 g for the win.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Going slow is often the fastest way to get to success. Keep sticking to it!