Disappointed that the News Feed is being discontinued

Options
AmyDahlTorres
AmyDahlTorres Posts: 180 Member
edited May 26 in Motivation and Support
Two years into my lifestyle change journey, I am so discouraged that MFP is shutting off the newsfeed feature. I have learned so much from my MFP friends and because this code is old and buggy, it's being removed. As a former IT manager, I know that there's always the calvary to the rescue! Come on, MFP! Please don't remove my inspiration!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,121 Member
    Options
    I stopped using the newsfeed years ago.

Apparently, they'll install a more modern alternative.
  • MargaretYakoda
    MargaretYakoda Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

I hope so.
    I have already posted once or twice on my profile here. Zero engagement so far.
  • Machka9
    Options

I hope so.
    I have already posted once or twice on my profile here. Zero engagement so far.

Give it time. It's only been a few days.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,282 Member
    Options

Not more modern at all. There will only be individual feeds on each users profile, no general feed with all the updates from friends together.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

Not more modern at all. There will only be individual feeds on each users profile, no general feed with all the updates from friends together.

The "general feed" is the community. I'm afraid I could never see the point of the newsfeed. It was just an extra thing that gave me the occasional pang of guilt because I felt like, since I had a few friends, I should go in there and do something.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

that would totally suck. i'm very disappointed.
  • HappyDonkey75
    HappyDonkey75 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Sorry kind of new here, I don't even know where this newsfeed everyone is so upset about is? Just curious? why was it so liked and what will it cause once its gone?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sorry kind of new here, I don't even know where this newsfeed everyone is so upset about is? Just curious? why was it so liked and what will it cause once its gone?

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a feature that was rarely used. I know mine is full of automatically generated posts when other people did some exercise or logged food.

It's when you click on the blue words at the top left of the page: myfitnesspal

That takes you to the area where you can log food and exercise.

But first it shows you Your Daily Summary, and then below that is the Newsfeed.

n0qejmlpvffl.png
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a feature that was rarely used. I know mine is full of automatically generated posts when other people did some exercise or logged food.

n0qejmlpvffl.png

Agreed. The newsfeed to me was entirely useless. Just a bunch of Neverending robotic entries of "so and so logged in for x days in a row." "So and so completed their diary" "so and so logged 20 minutes of yoga".
  • parys1
    parys1 Posts: 2,072 Member
    edited May 25
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    parys1 wrote: »
    sollyn23l2 wrote: »

n0qejmlpvffl.png

Agreed. The newsfeed to me was entirely useless. Just a bunch of Neverending robotic entries of "so and so logged in for x days in a row." "So and so completed their diary" "so and so logged 20 minutes of yoga".

A world of difference for those of us who have a close-knit group of friends. I have met many of these people in real life. And for those I have yet to meet, I have developed strong bonds and care deeply about their lives. The newsfeed carries tremendous value to me and many others. Sadly, we are likely in the minority, but do not disparage it as unworthy when you missed the boat on friendship and what was truly under your nose.

So those of us who don't find value in the news feed are friendless and oblivious? OK. :D

I think MFP's making a mistake getting rid of the news feed, since many people do seem to like and use it, but it has no particular usefulness to me.

I used it for quite a while at first, found it disorganized, largely repetitive, and mostly unhelpful. That's not a judgement of the people who do like it.

Honestly, some appear to be :smile:

It has declined in technical quality over the past few years as it was filled with bugs and crashes, but who you fill it with, matters. If you choose not to engage meaningfully on yours, more power to you, it matters not to me. I appreciate your seeing the error in removing a feature you don't utilize.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 436 Member
    edited May 26
    Options
    Posting the #SaveTheNewsfeed efforts for those just joining the conversation:

⭐ Changed my app store rating to 1 star. Unfortunately, with 2,645,672 ratings over the last 14+/- years, the total 4.2 star rating hasn't dropped over the last few days.

💵 Canceled my premium subscription a couple days ago. Although, like many others, it bills a year at a time, so I don't know how quickly it will hit their pocket books.

👤 I will be joining:
    NormInv wrote: »
    ... we will boycott MFP on Monday, May 27 by not logging into the site. If enough people don’t log in, that may show MFP what it would look like once the newsfeed is gone

📧 I emailed support and the Execs that Spaff_luceat_lux_vestra_BSB listed:
    ...not sure if they will listen but here are some emails for CEO'S at Francisco Partners. I'm sending an email to all of them...you never know

kohlsdorf@franciscopartners.com
    barry@franciscopartners.com
    grainger@franciscopartners.com
    greene@franciscopartners.com
    ilse@franciscopartners.com
    kim.moceri@franciscopartners.com
    nied@franciscopartners.com
    paul.cormier@franciscopartners.com
    matt.dircks@franciscopartners.com
    dinesh.lathi@franciscopartners.com
    manny.rivelo@fpadvisors.net
    dave.stevens@franciscopartners.com

Any other ideas? At least we can say we tried.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I too have been using mfp for years and have made real friends and family.I enjoy the newsfeed,keeping up and in touch.Supporting each other through our fitness journey and life’s curveballs.Mfp is making a Huge mistake.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I attempted to email several of the addresses given by someone who posted a list.Apparently they didn’t accept my emails.
  • Numer1ca
    Numer1ca Posts: 284 Member
    edited May 30
    Options
    I pay an annual fee so that I don’t get ads. I wonder what the benefit to the subscription will be when the feed is gone. Recipes I guess, but I have those at Delish.

• chopsticks
    chopsticks Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    This is why I wish there was a Facebook page for mfp users that was accepting new members. 😕. I like finding those ppl that become your fitness journey friends 🙂