LESS Alcohol ~ JULY 2024 ~ One Day at A Time

Replies

• Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,716 Member
    July:
    AF = 1
    A = 3
    Went to my sister's 4th of July party last night - food, drinks and fireworks. It was a planned A day, but I broke my no hard liquor run of almost 2 years. My sister makes an absolutely delicious homemade Limoncello and I just had to imbibe. I'm actually proud of myself for limiting it to just two shots as opposed the 5 or 6 that got poured over the course of the night. Rounded out the night with 3 small glasses of sangria (also homemade). The good thing is that those couple of shots didn't really set off any craving in me to have vodka again, I think I really enjoyed the fresh lemon taste more than the actual alcohol taste.
    Now I have to get serious about stringing together a number of AF days to get on track for a 50% AF July.

A really good homemade limoncello is a thing of beauty, no one would blame you for trying some! Great news that it didn’t trigger a craving for other vodka drinks!
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,716 Member
    tmbg1 wrote: »
    2 AF
    3 A
    Nice to wake up after July 4 with no hangover!

That is super impressive!!!!
  • globalhiker
    globalhiker Posts: 1,584 Member
    It's sooo hot. It's so hot I can't feel my hot flashes anymore. My car registered 118 yesterday. All that's on my brain right now is get me on a plane to Anchorage, Alaska. Getting on my exercise bike now while trip planning on youtube.

It's the 6th day of the month and still avoiding wine. I did pretty good considering it was 4th of July week. Snuck in a couple of tequila shots on the 4th and then behaved myself yesterday.

@MissMay I believe you are totally right about the sulfates in wine. I don't do well with dried fruit that contain sulfites so it makes sense. It just took a few days without wine (I always went for the fizzy white) and my ears are unclogged, my eyes de-puffed, I breathe better too. I got curious about this then read this from National Institutes of Health:
    "Histamine levels ranged from 3-120 micrograms/l in white wines; 15-670 micrograms/l in champagnes; 60-3800 micrograms/l in red wines; and 21-305 micrograms/l in beers. Histamine is causing wine intolerance."
  • Michieb125
    Michieb125 Posts: 686 Member
    Happy Saturday LA friends!

I enjoyed reading about all your holiday activities and how you also navigated drinks. That’s why we’re here - to support each other!

Did my strength training yesterday and will do a Pilates video today here at home. Not so easy when it’s going to be 110 degrees again, but necessary, lol. DH and I also picked up some stones to create a walkway around our backyard grass area. We will be laying those out this morning while it’s still cool.

AF last night! So far, I am liking the “intermittent A” approach I am trying this month. I really wanted to change it up from June and get back to skipping days for greater balance in terms of off days. Doing well so far and honestly feel better. I am keeping a simple log for planned AF days on my calendar, so I am thinking less about it and am experiencing less anxiety over should I or shouldn’t I.

We do have a trip to the coast with long time friends next week and am planning on ‘balanced’ merry making with this crazy group.

Current:
    AF days - 3
    A days - 2

• Michieb125
    @globalhiker - thanks for the share on histamines in wine. I am sure this has an effect on me too and why I am feeling better with building in more AF days…hmmmmm.

@Womona - sorry to hear about your sail day not going as planned! Hard to fight Mother Nature. Hope you can get back out soon!

@chicbuc - awesome job on your AF day 👏
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,421 Member
    3 AF
    3 A
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,635 Member
    chicbuc wrote: »
    Went to the grocery store yesterday and ended up by the wine aisle last. I literally almost ran out of the store to keep from buying that bottle :lol:

AF = 2
    A = 4

@chicbuc oh my gosh......I did not mean to, but I really had an out loud chuckle at your post. Control is control no matter if your walking or running from it. Good choice!
  • MissMay
    MissMay Posts: 3,635 Member
    Day 4 of this long holiday weekend.
    The town is smothered in tourists. The weather reached a heat index yesterday of 102°.

We found seclusion yesterday at a marina off the beaten path yesterday. Sitting under the sail canopies on the deck gazing at the beautiful boats in their slips I enjoyed an AF piña colada.

@Womona being towed anywhere on the water for what ever reason is no joy. Feel for you.
  • Michieb125
    edited July 7
    @chicbuc - sounds like you made a good choice in that moment!

@MissMay - your NA piña colada while watching boats sail by sounds lovely.

Accomplishing things inside the house while blasting the AC all week. I’m really over the excessive heat. The early evenings are the worst when the temps keep rising then hover late into the night. But, I do love summertime when the living is easy. Isn’t that a song?

Had some planned wine last (and unplanned Hagen Daz ice cream) night knowing AF days are planned for today and tomorrow before our super early flight on Tuesday. Definitely over my calorie targets yesterday.

Lots of water today!
    Current:
    AF days - 3
    A days - 3
  • Michieb125
    We leave for San Diego in two days. I do have a little bit of anxiety about the numerous social activities planned with friends this week as they are BIG drinkers, or at least were 5 years ago. But, a lot can change in 5 years at our ages! I am doing some mental pre-planning on how to handle open bars but trying not to over worry either.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited July 7
    MissMay wrote: »
    I came across this odd take on drop the alcohol but still get the buzz. It is called ~ShotOfJoy~ Would love to hear YOUR thoughts on this.Here is the link https://shotofjoy.com/?variant=43830092628193

To me in the past, the buzz HAS been the problem. That could just be me though.

I'm with you, the buzz has often been a problem for me also. It seems to me that these are just more drugs. I know they're being marketed as an all natural alternative, but pot and psychedelic mushrooms are also all natural, and coke and opium are directly derived from plants as well. I personally wouldn't go near this stuff, especially because it hasn't really been tested nearly as much as other drugs have. Here are a couple of links to things I read after I read your url attachment.
    https://mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/prescription-drug-abuse/in-depth/kratom/art-20402171
    https://health.clevelandclinic.org/what-is-kava
    I believe people can put whatever they want in their bodies, but I'm not planning to try either one.
  • SparkSpringtime69
    SparkSpringtime69 Posts: 1,122 Member
    @Womona I hope you've recovered from your walk of shame, LOL.
    @globalhiker I always attributed my dry throat/mouth to dehydration from the alcohol. Interesting facts about the sulfites - I've been avoiding red wine because of the dry cough, but white doesn't seem to bother me (at least not nearly as much).
    @Michieb125 I've been doing mostly indoor stuff too. (Possible TMI coming) The little time we've been working outside, we immediately have to get in the shower once inside to wash off all of the sweat :o
    I hope you have a great time in San Diego.
    @chicbuc, good for you for getting out of the store wine free.
    You guys are all really rockin' it with the AF days this first week, I'm impressed (and a little jealous - I'm at 5 and 2 so far :# ).
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,421 Member
    4 AF
    3 A
  • NonnieDoiron
    NonnieDoiron Posts: 278 Member
    chicbuc wrote: »
    Went to the grocery store yesterday and ended up by the wine aisle last. I literally almost ran out of the store to keep from buying that bottle :lol:

AF = 2
    A = 4

I know the feeling! Sometimes the urge hits HARD! If I weren’t weighing in the morning, I’d be tempted to go get a bottle right now.

AF - 5
    A - 2