Machka9 Posts: 25,430 Member
    fqm8yq0vjfsk.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,016 Member
  • Machka9
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Nora Roberts also writes as JD Robb - different premise but similar writing style. I have enjoyed both.

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

I like both, but one issue with Nora Roberts is that she's got all these trilogies and I hate it when I read a book, and then discover it's the first or second of a trilogy. It's so hard to find the rest of the trilogy and leaves me with an unsettled feeling.

So I try to only read Nora Robert's single books unless I get into a trilogy by accident.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited July 2
    Dad just announced he was going walking again. I can't go, I have to do laundry and get ready for his medical appointment. So he can't go without me. It's taking forever for him to lose the habit. I'm getting better at telling him no.

Annie in Delaware

When you exercise regularly, you really miss it if you don't do it for a day or two. I start to climb walls!! I get so restless.

Maybe rather than him losing a habit, you'll gain a habit. :)

M in Oz

• Machka9
    msbnlchaxmsd.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,575 Member
    edited July 2
    No Bea pick up today. She has a rescheduled violin lesson. :s
    DDIL knew how disappointed we would be, so she's arranged for the girls to come over on Sunday afternoon. :D They also asked John over on Saturday evening to watch the England football match with them. They didn't ask me. I wonder why. :p He was pleased to be asked. The only problem is, there will be no beers! Only AF ones, which won't calm the nerves!

Just about to start the cake. I was so knackered after lunch, I had a nap for an hour and a half! :o

I'm worried about my friend G, who is in pain with her back. She is seeing a physio this afternoon. She has been on steroids for over six months. Also has sun sensitivity from Doxycycline. And exhaustion. I feel so helpless. She has made an appointment with the country's best expert on bullous pemphigoid, up in Harley Street, this month. She may get referred to Guys Hospital from him. Costly, for one consultation, but it makes her feel better that she is doing all she can.
    She is hoping to go up to London on the train on Thursday to see her granddaughter, who is over from Singapore with her mother. ;):*

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,119 Member
    <3
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,310 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Today was 91 (33 C) plenty hot for me and it is our cool day for the next 5- 6 days, tomorrow is to be 102 (39C). I am working the fans and opening windows at night as I do not have AC. But it made me think of you Lisa when you said how much the window cling stuff was helping. I looked it up on line and there are a hundred, million, trillion choices (ok that is an exaggerated count LOL) You said you were saving a bunch of degrees (9? cooler) and I wondered which you picked, does it cling to the inside or outside??? Will you take it down in the winter? I have double paned windows and read something about too much heat and the windows cracking…… I have questions!!!

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

Kim - So glad your trip to your mom's was good... as far as the windows go, kinda boring for anyone not interested, but here's my answer:
    It's almost impossible to figure out how much the tint is dropping the house degrees, but subjectively, the window air conditioners seem to be on less often than I would have expected at the nearly 100 degrees we're getting these days. They certainly are bringing much more light in than the blackout curtains, and I can still see outside, so there's that.

Regarding damage to the windows, the answer is, "it depends." I have double-paned windows throughout, and the three oldest ones already fog, meaning they are compromised and need replacing. That expense comes well down the priority list for us at the moment. Of the newer ones, only one is fogged, so I did the research. Of course!

What it boils down to is temperature and absorption. I'm using reflective tints, so there's no heat absorption in the tint itself, or very little. If I put on a dark, light-blocking, non-reflecting film that absorbs heat, because it's laid right on the glass, it could have damaged the inside pane by getting the glass pane higher than it's rated. All mine are reflective. The only other issue would be if there were massive, swift temperature changes, like desert or mountain living, where the temperature can drop or rise 30 to 40 degrees in a few hours. Reasonably slow temperature changes don't impact the glass. That said, ALL of them are going to say "Don't use on double-paned windows," to avoid liability.

Lastly - this is a film sheet, which, while in your hands, feels kind of like a massive version of the old film strips in non-digital cameras. When you strip off the backing, it is much less stiff, and pretty thick feeling. There's no adhesive; you just spray the inside of the clean window and the back of the film with soapy water, put the pre-cut piece on the window, and smooth it down with something like a squeegee. I'm actually using a plastic bowl scraper that has a flat side - it fits my hand and the small window panes like the 6x11 panes in my door. Thank goodness I only had one of those that is in direct sun! With 9 panes in the door, I felt like I was cutting forever...

I do have to say, I have no idea whether they will come off easily at the end of the summer, but I'm going to try an experiment. I plan to peel it off of one window in the back bedroom. Then I'll let it sit for a week or two and try to reapply the film, to see if it works. I'm getting so used to them that it may not be an issue, and I may leave them up year round. Haven't decided yet.

These are the ones I got, but I don't think one is better or worse, I just had to get reasonably inexpensive ones that were wide enough to fit my biggest windows and since they're cut to fit, of course they would fit all my smallest ones from there.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/RockRose-Anti-UV-Solar-Screen-Heat-Control-36-in-X-78-in-Window-Film/313269004

More in a minute, most likely,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

We had a few windows with broken seals. We had a bird hit and shatter a window so we had a guy come to replace the glass. He told us they can replace the glass and the gas in the leaking double pane windows. We had him fix all of ours for MUCH less than replacing our windows would have been. He also recommended we not replace our windows. He said we wouldn’t recoup the cost in energy savings in our lifetime.

Okie in the TX Hill Country