WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2024

Replies

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,757 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Today was 91 (33 C) plenty hot for me and it is our cool day for the next 5- 6 days, tomorrow is to be 102 (39C). I am working the fans and opening windows at night as I do not have AC. But it made me think of you Lisa when you said how much the window cling stuff was helping. I looked it up on line and there are a hundred, million, trillion choices (ok that is an exaggerated count LOL) You said you were saving a bunch of degrees (9? cooler) and I wondered which you picked, does it cling to the inside or outside??? Will you take it down in the winter? I have double paned windows and read something about too much heat and the windows cracking…… I have questions!!!

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

Kim - So glad your trip to your mom's was good... as far as the windows go, kinda boring for anyone not interested, but here's my answer:
    It's almost impossible to figure out how much the tint is dropping the house degrees, but subjectively, the window air conditioners seem to be on less often than I would have expected at the nearly 100 degrees we're getting these days. They certainly are bringing much more light in than the blackout curtains, and I can still see outside, so there's that.

Regarding damage to the windows, the answer is, "it depends." I have double-paned windows throughout, and the three oldest ones already fog, meaning they are compromised and need replacing. That expense comes well down the priority list for us at the moment. Of the newer ones, only one is fogged, so I did the research. Of course!

What it boils down to is temperature and absorption. I'm using reflective tints, so there's no heat absorption in the tint itself, or very little. If I put on a dark, light-blocking, non-reflecting film that absorbs heat, because it's laid right on the glass, it could have damaged the inside pane by getting the glass pane higher than it's rated. All mine are reflective. The only other issue would be if there were massive, swift temperature changes, like desert or mountain living, where the temperature can drop or rise 30 to 40 degrees in a few hours. Reasonably slow temperature changes don't impact the glass. That said, ALL of them are going to say "Don't use on double-paned windows," to avoid liability.

Lastly - this is a film sheet, which, while in your hands, feels kind of like a massive version of the old film strips in non-digital cameras. When you strip off the backing, it is much less stiff, and pretty thick feeling. There's no adhesive; you just spray the inside of the clean window and the back of the film with soapy water, put the pre-cut piece on the window, and smooth it down with something like a squeegee. I'm actually using a plastic bowl scraper that has a flat side - it fits my hand and the small window panes like the 6x11 panes in my door. Thank goodness I only had one of those that is in direct sun! With 9 panes in the door, I felt like I was cutting forever...

I do have to say, I have no idea whether they will come off easily at the end of the summer, but I'm going to try an experiment. I plan to peel it off of one window in the back bedroom. Then I'll let it sit for a week or two and try to reapply the film, to see if it works. I'm getting so used to them that it may not be an issue, and I may leave them up year round. Haven't decided yet.

These are the ones I got, but I don't think one is better or worse, I just had to get reasonably inexpensive ones that were wide enough to fit my biggest windows and since they're cut to fit, of course they would fit all my smallest ones from there.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/RockRose-Anti-UV-Solar-Screen-Heat-Control-36-in-X-78-in-Window-Film/313269004

More in a minute, most likely,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

We had a few windows with broken seals. We had a bird hit and shatter a window so we had a guy come to replace the glass. He told us they can replace the glass and the gas in the leaking double pane windows. We had him fix all of ours for MUCH less than replacing our windows would have been. He also recommended we not replace our windows. He said we wouldn’t recoup the cost in energy savings in our lifetime.

Okie in the TX Hill Country

Thanks, Okie! And THAT's why I love this group. 🥰 Somebody always has dealt with it before. Might just reach out and see if I can get someone to look at these windows...
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,559 Member
    Barbara - crossing fingers the wiring gets fixed and your water system gets going again soon and the cistern refills quickly.

I recently read how nomads who live in vans shower - many of them have gym memberships, and some rely on camp type showers which consists of hanging a black bag of water in a tree with a hose attachment in the sun for a bit. Sounds like work to me. :p Someone used a 32 oz spray bottle of water, spritzing the bits that need washing, soaping, then another spritz to rinse. I thought that was a good idea if in need of a quick cleanup.

Jean in NJ - welcome! Glad your condition was finally diagnosed and crossing fingers there's treatment to keep you living an active life for a long, long time. You are one busy gal. There are several "house walkers" here, and I'm one of them. Great way to get steps in if it's too hot, cold or rainy outside. Sounds like you get the added bonus of stairclimbing. :p

Tracey - nice photo of you and the grands, what great memories they'll have of their "fun grandma". Is that a buffalo I see in the background in one of the photos?

Kim - glad visit with your mom went well. I think it's remarkable that she's a sharp as she is, considering her adult beverage consumption. ;) But it definitely works for some people. We had a friend who was sharp and fairly active into his mid -90's. He'd start off every morning with some "medicine" (whisky) then have another dose in the afternoon. :p Just read about the ransomware attack at your credit union. Shoot. Hope it gets cleared up quickly.

Rita - I also wouldn't have the patience to be a therapist. You have definitely honed your people skills! I bet your therapist really appreciates your input. Therapists sometimes need therapy too. ;)

Lisa - I don't envy you making those doc phone calls. Crossing fingers they are organized and it goes smoothly. Hope the tree guy shows up when you aren't in the shower and gets that job done.

Okie - I appreciate the comment about window replacement. I don't have any fogged up, but a couple of them don't want to open anymore - they are on the south side of the house so get most of the sun. The plastic is probably brittle and I'm not about to force them. Let the future buyers worry about that. :p

Once we put the film on some of our south facing windows, it was up to stay. The process we used was similar to what Lisa describes if I remember right. The film we used was a little hard to work with. It all turned out fine except for a tear in one corner, hardly noticeable.

We have a hot spell coming up - probably mid-90's on Saturday and Sunday and near that on Friday & Monday. Working on plans to keep the hens cool. Their run is shaded, with a roof, but the afternoon sun shines in there for a while. My plan is to freeze 1 cup ice cubes to drop in their water bowl and prop a large sheet of cardboard on the west side to block that sun. They weren't fans of watermelon and cantaloupe last year, but I might pick some up and try it this year. Some cold melon right out of the fridge sounds pretty refreshing - I'll enjoy it if they don't.

I see parts of Nebraska are under water. Hope Vicki and Meg aren't impacted.

Stay cool, ladies. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,124 Member
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Lisa – Thank you! I knew you would have done all the research! Of course, Walmart is out of stock right now…but I will put it on the watch list.

I was thinking about whining about the heat, and then thought about Pip, it is 70F(21C) here at 7:30am but Pip is at 77F (25C) so I have nothing to whine about I better just be grateful. High today for me is 104 (40C) and Pip is 107 (41C) I think Debbie is close to my temps, but I am less sure what town to look up. And Tina the other California Gal is at the far southern part of the state and most of it is cooler this week, but I’m not sure of her location either.

I have plenty of embroidery work to do today, so tucked inside with a fan.

I am not sure how far the news has traveled but Patelco Credit Union was hit by a Ransome ware attack ( a computer based attack) and currently almost all banking is shut down. It is where I bank exclusively. So my access to cash, bill pay, atm and credit card is all very limited. All electronic payments in or out are stopped. This is a real bummer. It shouldn’t last more than a few days (I hope!) but it is making me consider diversifying my banking after this is cleared up.

Thinking of you all,
    Kim in N. California

my friend posted this- She lives just north of my mom. My sister lives in the same town as this friend.
    We are hot but not as hot as they will get.
    kv86886cefuw.png

Just read about Patelco- my son has his car loan through them.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,Ca
  • dlfk202000
    [quote="Whidislander;c-48169949"

What's frustrating is they have traveled to other places and not brought the dogs, so in my mind that reason should just be off the table, but son still makes it one. He has a right sure, but putting their pets first and always us second, or like never makes me sad sometimes. We have lived here since 2018 and they have not visited once. I have lost count how many times we he driven, or I have taken the train.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa[/quote]

I am sorry your son and his family don't make you a priority. They are all missing out on so much. At least once a year they should make the trip(more often would be better)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,016 Member
    Stats for the day-

Walk w/kids- 2hrs 1min 17sec, 63elev, 2.95ap, 87ahr, 165mhr, 2.95ap, 6mi= 588c
    Strava app = 736c
    Walk home to gym- 10.50min, 3.03ap, .54mi= 50c
    Strava app = 67c
    Treadmill slow jog- 32.56min, 5.1-7.8sp, 147spm, 135ahr, 168mhr, 10.36min mi, 5k= 334c
    Walk gym to home- 12.04min, 2.85ap, .53mi= 61c
    Strava app = 66c

Total cal 1033
  • dlfk202000
    friend that lives down the road just posted - 109 there right now
  • pipcd34
  • pipcd34
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,119 Member