pipcd34 Posts: 17,016 Member
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,975 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,430 Member
    edited July 27
    About Foot Pain:
    I've been thinking about foot pain and how it's now known it can often be helped - or even prevented - with the daily calf (and also hamstring) stretches. I wish medical providers would start emphasizing this when we get into our 50's and beyond instead of just jumping into the "walk more" advice.

I bet if they talked about the importance of daily stretching to avoid foot injuries and to also help with balance, some of us seniors could remain active longer. At least that's applicable in my case. My mom stopped walking for exercise in her later years due to "balance problems" and painful feet, mainly bunions and probably toe misalignment. Dementia and broken hip followed that inactivity. Correlation or causation, who knows? I wonder how different her final years might have been if her foot pain (which might have affected her balance) could have been taken care of early on - maybe before it developed. Wake up call for me.

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

In both cycling training and running training, there is an emphasis on stretching the calves.

In the cycling, we didn't stretch the calves so much prior to riding, but once we were out and riding our long distances, there was a set of stretches we'd go through periodically which included stretching calves.

In running, there's a big emphasis on stretching the calves in several different ways. I find stretching my calves mid-walk is good too, especially when I'm walking fast - it eases off any leg or foot pain I might be feeling.

I also do calf drives (as seen here: https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jul/12/faster-stronger-runner-plyometric-exercises) from time to time. You're not supposed to do those every day, but I'll often do them if I'm waiting for something ... hop up and down for a bit.

When I climb stairs, I pause and stretch my calves on the stairs from time to time.

We did a lot of stretching before fencing, which was really good. I was impressed!

I've also done quite a bit of yoga and pilates.

And I've found that walking in fairly deep snow and soft sand is really good for building up the calf muscles.

In addition to all that (and I've mentioned this here before), when I'm in the shower each morning, I don't stretch my calves so much, although I might do a little bit, but I stretch my feet. I'll hang on so I won't slip, then while the hot water is blasting on my feet, I'll spread my toes, and curl my toes, and stretch out my feet.

One of the reasons I stretch my feet, and do all the other calf stretches is to ease off the arthritis pain in my feet. I've seen physiotherapists and a couple different podiatrists who recommended these things when I burned my left foot to the bone and when I developed arthritis.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    On Pilates ... my husband and I both attended a year or more of physio-led pilates after his accident. I focused on increasing strength, especially core and hamstrings. He focused on general strength and balance.

Our physiotherapist instructor had him doing a lot of different balance exercises.

He also struggled with vestibular issues, and our physiotherapist did several other things to improve that.

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,574 Member
    Today’s gratitude: When Joe checked the water storage tanks, they were full to the brim, even after a load of laundry and a luxuriously long hot shower washing my hair. Line dance demo at the fair went well, was actually fun, but looong. 18 dances in a little over an hour with no breaks, a real workout. All those steps (10,057) brought July’s average up to 7778 goal, now to keep it up.
    Lanette Dr. Matt’s on the “training” vs “workout” or “exercise” mindset really spoke to me. The BB&B is “training” so I can dance, play with the dogs, garden, etc. Thanks forever for introducing me to him. https://youtu.be/ZVk4dbWmY6c?t=50
    Ginny I’m with you about the Fosamax, for the same reasons. When oral surgeon took be off it, my MD wanted to start me on HRT, no way in light of my family’s medical history of breast cancer, heart attack and my personal of DVT. Found a small Canadian study showing a combination of supplements showing the same or better bone density improvement, pm me if you want the link. I’ll keep with the supplements till the implants heal, then re do the DEXA scan. If all’s well, goodbye Fosamax! Glad to hear you’re heading out of the COVID impact, sure has been a long stretch.
    Heather so sorry your UBER driver gave you such a rough start. Not a morning when you needed any more stress. Delighted to hear all’s well, whooshing “less pain” energy your way. Your “every hour I’m nearer recovery” attitude? Brilliant!
    Carol so glad to hear you rested better yesterday. Fingers X’d you can start PT soon.
    Annie yours to pip about the dogs and vet. Right on. IMHO if your nephew is interested in the car, let him persuade your Dad to sell it. You have enough persuading to do as it is.
    Rebecca :love: the pics, thanks!
    Rita hoping your mom’s PT goes well and she can be quickly back to her home.
    Debbie fingers X’d Joanne has (and respects) an exit date. ((hugs))
    Tracey fingers, toes, eyes all crossed that you get good news next week. You would be such an asset to any company who hired you.
    Terri :love: the poem. Delightful ;)
    Machka have you and Rowan stopped fencing?

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections
  • Machka9
    exermom wrote: »
    He’ll just say that Richard Simmons dying at 53 and Keith Richards still living is proof enough...lol

Michele NC

Richard Simmons died at 76.

• 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,500 Member
    <3
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,212 Member
    Good morning beautiful ladies!

Heather Yay for the operation is done!

Rita Yay for SysAdmins! It's a lot of responsibility, and a lot of repetitive work. It's always hard to do a job that others don't understand.

I'm sorry your mother kept forgetting who you were. That's got to be tough.

Tracey enjoy the races!

Today we are going walking, then out to lunch in a historic restaurant. Should be fun.

I noticed a chore to get done. The wood around the garage door needs at least paint. Hope it's not rotten. So after the party I guess I will look for someone to hire. There's always something.

Have a great day my friends! May you be happy, healthy, safe and free!

Annie in Delaware