Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

AUGUST 2024 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 995 Member
    Glad the weather was a little better for you this morning @martaindale ! Great run. I love seeing wildlife, but sometimes they can be a bit too close for comfort.

I know you are excited about your trip @Teresa502 . I hope you have a wonderful time!

I'm so glad that you're CoVID symptoms are gone @daria0919 . Great job on the walk and I agree that getting out the door is often more than half the battle.

Semi running related info in the spoiler, if you are interested.
    I got a notice in the mail today that I have been selected for jury duty starting on 3 Sept. My understanding is that on that day I'll get further instructions, but we are basically on call for a trial for 4 months. I think I'll have to call in every night to see if I have to come in the next day, if I'm not selected for a jury. That is going to make it really hard to make plans for an entire 4 months!

They say that they will try to accommodate appointments and vacations.

I'm curious. How is jury duty handled in your area of the country/world?

Interesting that you’re bringing jury duty up @quilteryoyo. We just all received notice in our county that they’re going to be sending out jury duty notices soon. Four months seems really long. Last time I got selected I was still teaching full time at the university and I was considered essential, so I was excused from serving - that was at the state level. At that time the notice stated it would be no more than 2 weeks.

• daria0919
    daria0919 Posts: 995 Member
    Hubby and I just got back from our evening walk, so that’s another 1.6 miles in the books.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,103 Member
    @quilteryoyo I hope your shoulder feel better soon. Happy Birthday to your mom! I love the pictures! That is awful about the jury duty. That sounds so inconvenient. My husband has been chosen for the grand jury before and I think they met monthly or maybe quarterly (it has been a while). But they knew when they were scheduled and didn't have to call in every evening to find out about the next day.

@cobtrarymarymary That bull does look really annoyed.
    And hugs to your friend. I'm glad the tumor was benign and I hope she is better soon.
    I have done a few month long streaks and it was fun. But I wouldn't wantbto do it for too ling. I really enjoy having at least one day a week that I don't have to do anything.

@scott6255 I am also so over this heat.

@summerskier Happy Birthday! I'm sorry I missed it yesterday. Sounds like you had a great day.

@daria0919 I am glad you are feeling better.

@martaindale I would be scared to see a bobcat, but I bet that was pretty cool too.

@teresa502 I can't wait to see pictures of your trip. I hope you have a great time.

I've been wondering about @chris_in_cal too. I haven't seen him post on garmin in a few days.
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 476 Member
    @kgirlhart That sounds like seriously hard running conditions! Great job getting out there and doing what you can in the heat!

@daria0919 I’m glad you are feeling better and able to go out walking!

@quilteryoyo I was able to dodge jury duty the last three years I was eligible for it and still living in the US, as a carless college student. That sounds like a long time to not know whether you will be needed or not. I am crossing my fingers that you can still do the race!

@martaindale That’s really cool with the bobcat!
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,291 Member
    Morning all.
    Got in 6.24M at 09"53.

Great running @Laurz9191 !
    @quilteryoyo called up for Jury duty once. But woulda been financial disaster for me as a Dayrate contractor. Paying the fine for not showing was cheaper... But I successfully managed to dodge that too. I got a Dr to write me a note saying I had backache (is an instance of back pain on my file) - on meds, and that I needed a special ergonomic chair, couldn't sit in one position for a long time and chronic back spasms.
    Dodged it successfully
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,760 Member
    It is interesting @yirara, but what is also interesting is when I had a running coach (a real person not an app) my runs varied between hard and easy – faster and shorter vs longer and slower. I think you’ve simply stumbled on a good training practice. Keep it up.

I would have freaked out at a bobcat @martaindale, but then again, I have no idea if they’re dangerous or not. We have no native animals here so any livestock you come across belongs to someone – think dogs and sheep. Way out in the bush you may come across deer or pigs, but they’re gonna avoid you at all costs. I was chatting to a friend about things that eat plants in the garden and I was moaning about rabbits and pukekos (swamp hens – a bird, not sure if they’re outside NZ and Australia) and she, an Australian, was moaning about kangaroos in her garden, and then there’s those of you with bears! We’re so soft over here.

So jealous @teresa502. I spent about a month in Italy about 20 years ago and have been hankering to go back ever since. Have a marvellous time.

Glad you’re pretty much all better @daria0919.

As for jury duty, I’ve managed to get out of it, first, because I worked for a very small publishing house and if I wasn’t at work the magazines would literally not get published, and the second time because I had a very young baby. I do believe in doing my civic duty and will do jury duty when my schedule doesn’t have so many people dependent on me. Four months is a big ask though!

@kgirlhart, I remember feeling so silly calling a run because of a sore shoulder – you just don’t expect your upper body to have so much influence when you’re running but it does! I hope it’s all good now.

Nice running @laurz9191, and impressive distance! So fab that you felt so good for it.

How frustrating @steviebee888. I’ve come close a couple of times – usually it’s finding parking that screws me. I’ve only missed a race once, and that was because I was chatting to my friend and not paying attention to the route and completely missed our turnoff. We only noticed about 20 minutes later! We did go to the event and were is time to run the shorter distance so it wasn’t a complete disaster. Another time, for the Auckland Half, I was held up on the ferry to the start line and missed the start by a good two or three minutes. In a race with over 5000 entrants, I spent the entire time, passing people, trying to catch up to people running my speed. By the time I did, I was in a mindset that I had to keep pushing and keep passing and ended up clocking a PB – not a bad technique!

I was due a fairly big weekend of running but it turned out to be a little less. I signed up to do course check for Parkrun and after doing it, was simply too tired to run it again (at pace) for Parkrun proper so I didn’t. Went home and had a second breakfast instead. On Sunday, I was scheduled for 18km and woke to torrential rain and howling winds so mucked about a bit. I had to collect my daughter from a sleepover at 11am and because of aforementioned mucking about, was a bit short on time. Thought I’d aim for 12km instead (I was still tired). As it turned out, I had a few spare minutes at the end of 12k so thought I’d run another kilometre or two. Promptly got lost, and by the time I found my car again, I was up to 15.4km. I was feeling good at this point and would have stretched it out to 18km except I had exactly one minute to go and retrieve my child.

After a week of unproductive running (thanks for the inspo Garmin), I figured why I was so tired – because last Sunday’s long run was delayed to Monday, I ended up running nearly 60km last week when my usual is 45. Whoops.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 6,312 Member
    Thanks and nice run @kgirlhart . It's weird the things we do that makes body parts hurt. :lol: I'm glad your inventory went well and enjoy your staycataion. I hope you can accomplish the things you want to while you are off work. My shoulder is feeling better. I think I must have tweaked it mowing and then slept on it weird or something. I'm glad yours is feeling better too.

It's good to see that your husband is walking with you @daria0919 .

@Laurz9191 Getting out the door, or out of bed, is often the hardest part of a run. You did great. I didn't know that @tarun_yadavA was an author. :wink:

Nice run @tarun_yadavA . I'm glad you were able to get out jury duty. Here, it being a severe financial hardship would have been enough to get you out of it.

I'm so sorry you missed your race @steviebee888 . Was there a wreck or something? Good job on getting out and doing the 5K run anyway.

@ContraryMaryMary Sounds like you had a great run anyway. I wondered if you were going to run Parkrun again. Sorry you were so tired, but can understand with all of the extra mileage this week.
  • quilteryoyo
    1 Aug - Walked 1.00 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Treadmill
    2 Aug - Walked 2.00 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway wun
    3 Aug - Walked 1.00 miles - Ran 3.41 miles - Treadmill - Push Mowed 20m22s
    4 Aug - Walked 1.00 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Treadmill
    5 Aug - Walked 1.37 miles - Ran 1.13 miles - Driveway laps
    6 Aug - Walked 1.25 miles - Ran 1.25 miles - Treadmill - Gym 29m06s
    7 Aug - Walked 2.50 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Mowed 1h30m12s
    8 Aug - Walked 1.25 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Tennis 2h8m26s
    9 Aug - Walked 1.25 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Gym 37m44s
    10 Aug - Walked 1.25 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway - Mowed 1h57m22s
    11 Aug - Walked 1.25 miles - Ran 0.00 miles
    12 Aug - Walked 2.34 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway - Gym 30m47s - Mowed 1h7m20s
    13 Aug - Walked 1.55 miles - Ran 1.55 miles - Driveway - Mowed 14m55s
    14 Aug - Walked 2.35 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway - Gym 28m32s - Mowed 1h12m
    15 Aug - Walked 2.35 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway drill workout - Mowed 1h5m35s
    16 Aug - Walked 1.50 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Treadmill at the gym - Other gym workout 26m26s
    17 Aug - Walked 0.61 miles - Ran 2.99 miles - Treadmill - Planned long run
    18 Aug - Walked 2.00 miles - Ran 0.00 miles - Driveway laps - Tennis 1h8m18s

38.15/60.00 goal

We had the first league match today. It was threatening rain, but we got it in. My court lost 1-6, 1-6, but we had some really good points and it was fun. We won the other two courts, so we won the match! Yeah us!

After I got home, I did a driveway wun. It felt good and I could have run a lot more, but didn't want to since it is supposed to be my "rest day" and I had already played tennis.
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,812 Member
    August 2 – 4.82 miles
    August 3 – 3.01 miles
    August 6 – 5.49 miles
    August 7 – 5.06 miles
    August 9 – 6.01 miles
    August 10 – 3.12 miles
    August 12 – 5.12 miles
    August 14 – 5.23 miles
    August 15 – 5.07 miles
    August 16 – 10.04 miles
    August 19 – 2.19 miles
    Total 55.16 miles/60 miles

I was less than a tenth of a mile into my run this morning when it started sprinkling rain. It picked up quite a bit when I hit the 2 mile mark at my driveway so since I didn’t have a hat on and the rain was running down into my eyes, I hung a right and called it done.

Thanks @daria0919! Glad all your COVID symptoms are gone!

@quilteryoyo – If the priced doesn’t increase, I would wait to register for the race as long as possible. I’ve been called for jury duty a couple of times, once at the county level and once for federal court, but once they learn that I work in the legal world, I get dismissed quickly.

@kgirlhart – I hope you had a great stay-cation. I do not know how you ran in that heat! You are a beast. Glad you shoulder is feeling better and Happy Anniversary!

@Laurz9191 – Great long run! I’m on the wait list for that book at my online library. Sounds motivating.

Sorry you missed your race @Steviebee888. The first half marathon that I ran was delayed almost an hour because the race organizers didn’t realize what a backup it would be by having the race at this vineyard located with only single lane roads for access. It was very frustrating and tiring standing around waiting for the start but I’m sure it was equally as frustrating for those sitting in the traffic trying to get to the start.

Good job squeezing your run in on Sunday @ContraryMaryMary. It’s so easy to “muck about a bit.”

@tarun_yadavA – Here in the states we would not only get fined for not appearing for jury duty, but a law enforcement officer would be knocking on our door and giving us a free ride to the courthouse where we would be found guilty of contempt of court and get one of those staycations courtesy of the local taxpayers!
  • Laurz9191
    Laurz9191 Posts: 476 Member
    Hi everyone!

I went on an easy recovery 8.5km today. It was a nice uneventful run.

170.4/270km for August.
  • tarun_yadavA
    tarun_yadavA Posts: 1,291 Member
    Afternoon all.
    Got in 5.25M at 09"59.

@quilteryoyo
    Any joy on the Jury duty side of things?
    @Teresa502 yikes! take jury duty very seriously in Virginia!

I got a Dr's note in the end... All legit!

@quilteryoyo author? Lol. I'm not an author!
    I think @ContraryMaryMary said she was in Publishing?
  • quilteryoyo
    Sounds like you are being smart @henridw2095 . You are doing good for the month so far.

That's a great run, especially in those conditions @kgirlhart ! Happy Anniversary!!! Sometimes just a nice quiet dinner is what the doctor ordered.

I don't blame you for calling your run at 2 miles @Teresa502 . Yes, my jury duty notice says: "Failure to report could result in a contempt charge and a five hundred dollar fine." The price for the race doesn't increase again until 1 Oct, so I'll at least wait until after the orientation and see what they say about vacations. If asked, I'll tell them I have a vacation planned then and see what they say.

Those are the best runs @Laurz9191 .

Nice running @Mari33a . I'm sure Dakota was glad you came back and got him.

Great run @tarun_yadavA . I won't know anything else about jury duty until I show up for orientation on the 3rd of Sept, so a couple more weeks. I figured you had written the book "Can't Hurt Me," since @laurz9191 said "at the end of my run the chapter was about the author running a 100mile race with zero training and conditioning." Sounds like something you would do. :wink:

@yirara Great run and I'm glad you have figured out how to run with your muscle issues.

@AmunahSki Sounds like a great week. You did great to get out and do your long run on Sunday after camping for 3 days with the grandkids.