Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2024

Replies

• skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,980 Member
    <3
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    I've very tempted to see if I can have them postpone the next colonoscopy from September to up in April, after I've been on the Skyrizi for a full year. Mainly because I hate them, but I can probably come up with some reasonably good medical logic if I think about it a minute! The thought of it, even though it's nearly six weeks out, is making me twitch. I'm such a big baby...

Hope it is/was a grand day for everyone,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Do you need to go for a colonoscopy?

https://publichealthreviews.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40985-018-0080-0#:~:text=Colorectal cancer screening,-Table 4 demonstrates&amp;text=Regarding fecal occult blood testing,Switzerland, Germany, and Austria.
    "Concerning the use of colonoscopy as a screening method, the only countries outside the USA that recommend it are Switzerland, Germany, and Austria."

Machka in Oz ... where I've never had a colonoscopy and won't unless my bowel screen test comes up with something odd.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,434 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I've very tempted to see if I can have them postpone the next colonoscopy from September to up in April, after I've been on the Skyrizi for a full year. Mainly because I hate them, but I can probably come up with some reasonably good medical logic if I think about it a minute! The thought of it, even though it's nearly six weeks out, is making me twitch. I'm such a big baby...

Hope it is/was a grand day for everyone,
    Love,
    Lisa in AR

Do you need to go for a colonoscopy?

https://publichealthreviews.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40985-018-0080-0#:~:text=Colorectal cancer screening,-Table 4 demonstrates&amp;text=Regarding fecal occult blood testing,Switzerland, Germany, and Austria.
    "Concerning the use of colonoscopy as a screening method, the only countries outside the USA that recommend it are Switzerland, Germany, and Austria."

Machka in Oz ... where I've never had a colonoscopy and won't unless my bowel screen test comes up with something odd.

Actually, it's not a screening, but a visual scan to see if the bowel ulcerations have healed, or have worsened--which they can tell, to a large extent, through the blood tests, a CT scan (non-invasive) and my symptoms. I think I can definitely make a case for pushing it off to July, which will be two years since the last colonoscopy and one year since I began the Skyrizi.

They also push it for anyone with Crohn's or ulcerative colitis, to diminish cancer risk - but if you look at the stats, about 3% of Crohn's and 3.7% of UC patients develop colon cancer within 5 to 8 years post-diagnosis - and 4.1% of the overall population in the United States develop colon cancer as a whole. Not a good argument at all.

If at that time, all the tests are clear and the symptoms have completely subsided, I will discuss whether to follow through. Thank you for that, Machka - you helped me put my thoughts together in coherent fashion. I'm pushing back on a LOT of tests these days for various reasons. Much like medications, I don't just give consent without thought, and will say "no" if there is reason to do so.

Ha! I knew there was a good reason. I've had two colonoscopies in the last five years, and that is one too many.

Love,
    Lisa in AR

I'm here to help! :smiley:

I also pull out the stress card from time to time ...

This test raises my (or my husband's) stress level ... stress causes my (or my husband's) symptoms to get worse ... therefore "no".

M in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,199 Member
    Reading Metabolical by Robert Lustig he is the one who is working to get real food back into the schools! It is a bit technical. One message he speaks to loud and clear is the importance of fiber. Fiber is a nutrient because it feeds our gut. Calories are not the same. It is the nutritional quality of the food that counts. A soda is 140 calories and spikes you insulin 130 of almonds 30 of the calories go to feeding your gut and does not spike insulin. His mantra is protect your liver and feed your gut. Too much insulin is bad for the liver!
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,566 Member
    Annie - you might call around to places like O'Reilly's or NAPA stores (dealing in auto parts, not sure if they have them in DE but probably have similar) and see if you can bring the car to them and have them sell you a battery and replace it for you right there. They'll take the old battery off your hands too. If you can get the car to run. Otherwise, make sure to take the old battery in when you buy the new one, and get rid of it that way. You are a sharp cookie, you've probably already taken care of it. ;)

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,861 Member
    <3