WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2024

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 4,196 Member
    I had some bread with home made pesto for a pre-dinner appetizer. Then dinner was pork ribs cooked and seasoned in sauerkraut (my DH is on a sauerkraut kick!), potato salad made in oil. Filled half my plate with the sauerkraut!
    499m0naknvd5.jpeg
    9h6cba53bgnt.jpeg
    RVRita in Roswell
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,694 Member
    So it was a nice morning. I didn't even cry when we dropped him off on base at the terminal. He said it will be only a year separation until he gets new orders again. A year away from him is long, but doable as it was like 3 years when he was gone to Guam. He communicates well, and we keep in touch. We stripped his bed, and sprayed things down, as his room smelled of jet fuel! It will be nice for husband to have that room back, as his large tables where his city sits on can be used now. He has been painting and organizing but hasn't been organizing his city since son has been home. So now he can do that.👍🏼
    Soon we head to the mainland so I can meet up with my cousin, and watch her dog while they vacation. I have decided to keep my meals as simple as possible. Even bought VIA, a Starbucks instant coffee so I won't be having to haul my coffee maker there. They don't have a coffee maker, but hopefully they have a kettle.
    Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Wa

• LisaInArkansas
    LisaInArkansas Posts: 2,789 Member
    Hmmm...Michele hasn't signed on sinced Thursday, so her electric, etc., may well be out. Hope all is well in her world after Helene.
  • 1948CWB
    1948CWB Posts: 1,520 Member
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,602 Member
    Yes, worrying about Michele.

Would also love to hear from Rosemarie.

Love Heather UK xxxxxx
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 967 Member
    Hello All. I was thinking about all of you in Helene’s path too. Hope you’re all well.

I think I’ve caught up mostly. It’s hard to keep up when not checking in daily.

Congrats, Allie. Delia is a cutie and I love the pics with Miles and Carmine.

Annie, you’re really handling the situation with your dad wonderfully. I also read Book Lovers and really enjoyed it. Right now I’m reading Group Living and other Recipes. It's a memoir and I’m enjoying it and the recipes. I enjoy books about food, cooking, and how they mingle to bring people together. I really like when they include recipes. There’s one in this book for chicken adobo that I will try soon.

Eye update. Not for the queasy.
    I finally got to see an ophthalmologist about my persistent stye and it’s not great news. I am trying oral antibiotics, an ointment and warm compressing many times a day. However, she said it’s likely I need a procedure to cut it out. That is scheduled for later this month. I’m not excited to have my eyelid cut open and scraped and an open wound left in its place. She has to leave it open, so my eye will bleed for a while after and it’s likely I’ll be bruised for a week or so. I’ll be a pirate for a bit, I guess. While I’ve come to accept it, rather than fear it, I’m also trying rubbing CBD oil on the cyst to see if it’ll shrink. I read that the canabanoids in the eye react well to those in the CBD oil. So, I’ll try it. What’s “funny” is that I could not get a CBD oil without THC in a dispensary. I got it from a health store. In the process of looking for an oil, I learned a whole lot about CBD products.

I think I’ve recovered from the house guests. It takes me a long time. I guess it’s sort of like jet lag. Takes me 3 hours to recover for every one hour they’re here.

I still cannot lose an ounce of weight. Tomorrow I will start a sort of extreme 3 day eating plan to see if it’ll jump start that. Basically, I’ll eat unseasoned chicken and vegetables for 3 days.

I’m following along and sending virtual good wishes and hugs to all of you for your successes and struggles.

Tina in CA

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,582 Member
    Allie - thank you for sharing those photos of SMiles and Delia. They always make me smile.

Vicki - such great news about your new employee. <3 Crossing fingers she settles in and stays. Your new shower sounds great.

A YouTube reel just came up in my feed talking about the cell service in western N. Carolina. Michele lives near Hickory, and it appears electrical power is completely out west of her - cell service as well. Lots of devastation. When we get Michele back, she'll have a lot to tell us.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/854068406830386

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 17,063 Member
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,805 Member
    edited September 29
    Up to my eyes busy getting ready for a trip to Oxford next weekend with DED to help granddaughter move into her new apartment.

🤗🤗🤗 and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 for those who need them.

🙋‍♀️ Miele failte to the newbies.

☘️ Terri

Pg 46
  • SophieRosieMom
    Debbie - I grabbed a whole chilled rotisserie chicken from the Walmart deli section this morning, $3.97. Had some for supper and there's enough meat there for several more meals. Super glad you mentioned it. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,996 Member
    I know,Im worried about Michelle that part of the state got hammered I just hope,her and Vince and the cats are safe and are out of harms way..
    Tom made it down to his place ok,without much difficulty ,and it only needs some minor repairs thank goodness.
    ui89dqnpmu2w.jpg
    ezdomayflbc3.jpg
    7x2pjoo7mlvc.jpg
    And here is milk drunk Delia lol
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 17,133 Member
    pbeqlnyhaao2.jpg
    🌻Here are the sunflowers in my yard
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,448 Member
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    I think I’ve recovered from the house guests. It takes me a long time. I guess it’s sort of like jet lag. Takes me 3 hours to recover for every one hour they’re here.

I still cannot lose an ounce of weight. Tomorrow I will start a sort of extreme 3 day eating plan to see if it’ll jump start that. Basically, I’ll eat unseasoned chicken and vegetables for 3 days.

I’m following along and sending virtual good wishes and hugs to all of you for your successes and struggles.

Tina in CA

I completely understand about the house guests! I won't stay with someone or have anyone stay with me for more than a night. And those times occur rarely. Most of the time I would much rather stay in a hotel than with someone.

Chicken and vegetables is extreme?

M in Oz

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,145 Member
    edited 1:14AM
    Debbie - I grabbed a whole chilled rotisserie chicken from the Walmart deli section this morning, $3.97. Had some for supper and there's enough meat there for several more meals. Super glad you mentioned it. :p

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

NICE- they really are good and plenty of meat for a few meals.
    I simmered the bones/skin/etc yesterday and chilled it then removed the fat- had a cup of that last night and again this afternoon. Feel like I am coming down with a cold so it was nice.
    The regular price is great but when they do the discounts it makes them even a bigger bargain.
    If you can pick up a few extras, bone them out and freeze the meat- great for so many different meals.

I made chicken salad for our lunch today. Quick and easy and tasted so good.
  • SophieRosieMom
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

I simmered the bones/skin/etc yesterday and chilled it then removed the fat- had a cup of that last night and again this afternoon. Feel like I am coming down with a cold so it was nice.
    The regular price is great but when they do the discounts it makes them even a bigger bargain.
    If you can pick up a few extras, bone them out and freeze the meat- great for so many different meals.

Deb - what's your recipe for chicken salad? I've made plenty of tuna salad but never chicken salad.

Lanette
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 wrote: »

Lanette B)
    SW WA State

Deb - what's your recipe for chicken salad? I've made plenty of tuna salad but never chicken salad.

Lanette

I make it the same way. Diced chicken, mayo, celery or celery salt(I prefer real celery but son doesn't like it but does like celery salt), pepper or low sodium Montreal seasoning. Sometimes add just a little mustard. Dill pickles are good in it but again, son doesn't care for it.

Former hubby makes his with Miracle Whip (YUCK), grapes, apples, and salt and pepper.
    Not a fan of any of that in my chicken salad.
    I tease him about his MW- Grocery Outlet keeps having it super cheap- 2 for $1 or something like that- because no one else around here seems to like it either.

The chicken makes great enchiladas, stuffed shells(chicken, ricotta or cottage cheese, garlic, salt and pepper mixed together and stuffed into pasta shells that have been cooked. Layer it and cover with Alfredo sauce then Colby cheese and bake), chicken pot pie, etc

• auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,584 Member
    Today’s gratitude: Good conversation with Joe.
    Yesterday’s meeting with financial advisor about life insurance sparked discussion about what he’d do if I die first, and vice versa. We’re both still deeply in denial, but at least we know how each other feels in this moment. He pointed out that frequently when one of a couple dies, the other does soon after. He asserted he’d just get a bottle and a carton of cigarettes and follow after me. I said he’s not allowed to die first. He said think about it, would you be comfortable staying here alone? I said probably not but I don’t know what I’d do. He suggested I find someone to stay with me, one of the nephew’s or god daughter’s kids, or maybe even a homeless family if Fr. Bernie could recommend an honest one. Or sell out and buy a Rainbow Rock condo, where I’d have no maintenance. “Think about it.” I’ll take this as progress and am deeply thankful.
    Saturday’s gratitude: Compromises.
    Asked Joe if he’d take me out to lunch for our anniversary. He said he’s not comfortable leaving the dogs at home. Back in the day, I’d have pushed and kept arguing, and his response would be a hard “No!” Nothing, bupkes to celebrate our anniversary. He’s never “gotten” celebrations or holidays of any kind. This time I smiled and waited. Then he said “I was thinking of a bottle of champagne.” This is a good compromise as champagne is not his favorite but I get a little celebration. Likewise when I mentioned our financial advisor was coming today at three, he said “I don’t want to be there, I’ll be asleep.” Again I held my tongue (felt like with both hands :> ) Then he said, “All right I’ll be polite, come out and greet her and stay for ten minutes.” He’s happy, I’m happy, we’re happy.
    Lisa it’s been low-hanging fruit so far, but I might be developing a little muscle. The kitchen counters have stayed clear of dropstuff since day two, amazing. And some things are going straight to the trash when I first notice they’re stained/damaged/worn, instead of on top of the maybe-I-can-fix-or-reuse-this mountain. Joe hasn’t said anything but suspect he’s delighted that I’m finally stumbling along after his example ;} Good luck with the washer, you’ve paid your dues!
    Lanette hmm. Have never considered buying produce online for shipping… Found some navel oranges in the Gold Beach McKay’s, “product of Australia”. Not “organic” but suspect Oz doesn’t allow the pesticides on produce that US does. Wanted organic as I’m going to use the zest in some goats’ milk cheese.
    Heather wonderful news about your brother. ((hugs))
    Annie Brava for getting back into the meditation habit. ((hugs))
    Barbie your wisdom shines through your conversation with Jake about the woman who lives nearby and offers to drive people to medical appointments. Insightful! Thanks for pointing me to Amazon, there it is! https://www.amazon.com/Arm-Hammer-Laundry-Detergent-Perfume/dp/B000RY84RA?ref_=ast_sto_dp
    Tracey, nope, not enjoying decluttering yet… but neither grieving nor feeling diminished so far. But it’s all been low-hanging fruit. Haven’t tackled, the OMGCraft closet, the NOohNOOOO library, and have barely scratched the surface of the scary piles in the study. Had to laugh at your comment to Lisa about being mutual craft idea enablers. Both of your creativity amazes me, so far outside my realm. :love: your beautiful sofa, well done!!!
    Machka really appreciate your sharing your train trip. Stunning scenery and interesting artifacts.
    Rebecca scary stuff, bad reaction to donating fasted, and worry about your son’s procedure. ((hugs)) That’s one of my favorite quotes, but hard to say through tears . . .
    Vicki, hooray for the new hire and the new shower!
    Mo, yours to Annie, well said!
    Rita :love: your bucket gardens!
    Allie hope you can get something to knock that UTI out quickly, and that the urologist can get to the bottom of it! That pic of Delia with her tongue stuck out made me laugh out loud. :laugh:
    Tina good to hear from you, sorry about the stye. Praying the antibiotics, CBD oil and compresses will shrink it, simplify the procedure and speed healing. IMHO maybe postpone the extreme jump start ‘til after your eye is better?
    Debbie, Miracle Whip is good for only one thing, bologna sandwiches on white balloon bread while on a road trip. :sick:
    We prayed in church today for all affected by the hurricane. Praying extra hard that Michele, Vince and the kittens are safe.
    Decluttering challenge Day 24/30 Garage or shed
    24- the potting bench is one of those overwhelming out of control areas. Focussed on workspace between sink and grow light. 6y4c0mv6kre2.jpeg Sorted trash from compostable material and called it good. trdbfiuxaghe.jpeg
    Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.
  • dlfk202000
    auntiebk wrote: »
    T
    Debbie, Miracle Whip is good for only one thing, bologna sandwiches on white balloon bread while on a road trip. :sick:

Later, lighter, lovelies!
    Barbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    x8zcp1ya37k1.gif
    Move more than yesterday, fuel better than yesterday, live NOW.
    Open heart and mind before mouth.
    2024: Strengthen: body, mind, heart-connections.

When I was in high school, I would spend the night at my grandparents house after having a FFA meeting(we lived 10 miles from town and my parents werent going to drive that far to pick me up-grandmother lived just a few blocks from the school). It was great, except, grandma made me a lunch and the sandwich had MW on it. She used the thin deli(Buddig) meat that mom rarely bought so it was a treat but still remember the taste of the MW. Never did tell her how much I hated that stuff.
    Now it is a big joke between former hubby and I. We never had it in the house when we were married.