COFFEE LOVERS!? What do you put in your coffee?

Options
Okay so I have been drinking coffee since I was 15, I am soon to be 24. I'm not talking, a cup or two either. I mean like 3 Medium iced coffees from dunkin donuts day. Plus my home coffee first thing in the morning, and throughout the night when I'm home.

I have recently moved and dunkins isnt down the street from me anymore, and the closest one just cant get m coffee right. "Medium coconut-hazelnut iced coffee w/ extra milk 5 Splenda"

So I have been drinking my home coffee which I drink foldgers instant, with Fat free French vanilla coffee mate.

I have just recently started cutting back a little on it and trying to force water. As I would only drink coffee, all day, everyday. Sick I know.

My question is what are you putting in your coffee!? I'm big on flavors, but I put it in my food diary and I am literally drinking like 500 calories just in my coffee. That's horrible!

An then I read a post about someone stating splenda type sweeteners are linked with Multiple Sclerosis and health problems, and it kind of paranoid the hell out of me.

So anyone out there know how I can try and cut down with my coffee creamer,sweetner, but still enjoying my horrible habit?

Replies

• BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You could put calorie countdown milk in it to cut down on creamer. There are only 9 calories in a table spoon of sugar if you really want to avoid unnatural sugars. For a noncalorie sweetener you could try Stevia which seems to have fewer negative opinions surrounding it than Splenda.

I use the flavor k-cups sometimes which according to MFP have only 2 or so calories. But I also use the SF creamers and I use splenda constantly.
  • ohmyjiggle
    ohmyjiggle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The thing is I don't use a "Tablespoon" lol Which do you think is more beneficial, Sugar free or Fat free?
  • igotabulletproofheart
    Options
    1tsp sugar, approx. 30ml milk. That's it. I only drink coffee for the boiled water and the coffee taste.

I prefer using my calories on foods that help my body develop and not hinder it.:smile:
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I'll be no help, I can't stand adulterated coffee. Add water to the grounds and drink (OK put it through a mokka first.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    First, i make sure the coffee is delicious -

I love those Folgers singles.. they really taste often better than the stronger coffee that a lot of restaurants have.

Since I like coffee pretty mild, I love Dunkin Donuts breakfast blend, or you can buy breakfast blend in the store.

But when i have coffee, I add in skim milk so i can have more, and then i shake in some powdered coffee creamer, which adds a bit of sweetness like i would have had from the cream, but not sweetness like from sugar.

Tastes good!
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I add nothing to it. Have you thought about trying espresso if you don't like plain coffee? You could down it like a shot and still get the energy. Then just sip on water throughout the day.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    3 packets of splenda and one tablespoon of international delight caramel macchiato.
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Okay so I have been drinking coffee since I was 15, I am soon to be 24. I'm not talking, a cup or two either. I mean like 3 Medium iced coffees from dunkin donuts day. Plus my home coffee first thing in the morning, and throughout the night when I'm home.

I have recently moved and dunkins isnt down the street from me anymore, and the closest one just cant get m coffee right. "Medium coconut-hazelnut iced coffee w/ extra milk 5 Splenda"

So I have been drinking my home coffee which I drink foldgers instant, with Fat free French vanilla coffee mate.

I have just recently started cutting back a little on it and trying to force water. As I would only drink coffee, all day, everyday. Sick I know.

My question is what are you putting in your coffee!? I'm big on flavors, but I put it in my food diary and I am literally drinking like 500 calories just in my coffee. That's horrible!

An then I read a post about someone stating splenda type sweeteners are linked with Multiple Sclerosis and health problems, and it kind of paranoid the hell out of me.

So anyone out there know how I can try and cut down with my coffee creamer,sweetner, but still enjoying my horrible habit?

I drink 8-10 cup black coffee every day so I have a habit too.

There are 16 calories in every TEASPOON of sugar (so 48 cals per TABLESPOON) - so 10 coffees with 2 teaspoons sugar each is 320 cals!

I buy Little's instant coffee - they do a variety of flavours (hazelnut, amaretto, irish cream, maple walnut etc) - L don't like sweetener but if you do - the coffee + 25ml skimmed milk + 2 tsp splenda/stevia = only 20 cals
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    I have not thought about that, I actually drink coffee just because I like to drink it, not for the energy. Coffee doesn't give me ANY energy whatsoever. I think I'm immune too it. :(
  • ohmyjiggle
    Options
    Oh wow thank you, It didn't even cross my mind to by the coffee flavored, as to adding flavor to it. Thanks!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I drink Community brand coffee. I think it's only available in the south. I could be wrong. I use 1/2 packet of stevia and original non-dairy creamer or half and half.
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I put a couple teaspoons of maple syrup in my giant cup of coffee. Sometimes a splash of cream. Sometimes I add some cinammon and cardamom to the grounds and brew it that way. Very good.
  • Skinnymunkii
    Skinnymunkii Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free creamer and Stevia. My favorite beverage, bar none.:heart:
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I make my own "bulletproof" coffee before school. 3 tbs of the best coffee I have, brewed regular strength, then blended with a tbs of kerrygold butter, a tsp of coconut oil, and a tsp of honey.
    On the weekends, I make "protein coffee", whatever flavor coffee I have on hand, then blended with 1/2 cup soy milk, a little sweetener of choice, and a tbs of protein powder.
    For an afternoon treat, I brew 6 cups of coffee--any flavor, let it cool, then add 1/3 cup soy milk, 1 mini creamer (almond joy is really good), and a pink scoop of sweetNlow. I put it in my venti sbux cup and refrigerate until afternoon. I usually make this the night before.
  • Pixi_Rex
    Pixi_Rex Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    Nothing, I drink it black and actually enjoy the flavor of the coffee. You are big on flavor buy good coffee and you won't need to put crap in it.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I'm boring, I just put skim milk and stevia in to sweeten. If I want flavor I brew flavored coffee grounds, which usually only adds a few calories. I'm not a coffee drinker, I prefer tea's, so coffee is just for when I'm dog tired and have a busy day ahead. Which is maybe once or twice a month
  • dawn_h_d
    dawn_h_d Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You could put calorie countdown milk in it to cut down on creamer. There are only 9 calories in a table spoon of sugar if you really want to avoid unnatural sugars. For a noncalorie sweetener you could try Stevia which seems to have fewer negative opinions surrounding it than Splenda.

I use the flavor k-cups sometimes which according to MFP have only 2 or so calories. But I also use the SF creamers and I use splenda constantly.

I am a K-cup addict. I used to stay away from the flavored ones because I thought they would have more calories, then I found out they don't. I am able to drink the flavored K-Cups with a flavored creamer (which I use less because the coffee is already flavored). Depending on the combo I use my calories are 37 - 40 calories a cup. I used to be a K-cup before work and then half a coffee pot while at work, but once I lost my job, I cut out the other cups, and I am just down to the one.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,002 Member
    Options
    I love coffee, I usually put a tbs or so of fatfree vanilla coffee creamer in it, but I have tried almond milk and sugar this is pretty good .hope you gind something that works so you can use more calories on healthy food
  • primal_cupcakes
    primal_cupcakes Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    mmmmm ... bulletproof coffee is so good.
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Some creamer, no sugar.