COFFEE LOVERS!? What do you put in your coffee?

Options

Replies

• MermaidTX
    MermaidTX Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I use a little heavy whipping cream & coconut oil in my morning coffee. It's sooo rich that I can't just guzzle it down. In fact, I drink it slowly enough it gets cool & I have to reheat a few seconds in the microwave. It's really good on the mornings that I'm not very hungry because it's satisfying enough I don't feel I *have* to eat a big breakfast. Sometimes I have a small mid-morning snack & sometimes I don't so it really helps with keeping cravings at bay.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have not thought about that, I actually drink coffee just because I like to drink it, not for the energy. Coffee doesn't give me ANY energy whatsoever. I think I'm immune too it. :(

Wait til you try cutting back on it. You will realise you are not immune, just already addicted. You don't get the caffeine affect as a buzz as your body has adjusted to having it and relies upon it being there.

Trust me, I went through it about 10 years ago and it was not much fun. Now I drink 2 - 4 cups in the morning, between 6 and about 11 am, then no more or I become a tad jittery.
  • writergeek313
    writergeek313 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    A splash of 1% milk. It comes out to 16 calories per cup. I used to be an all-day coffee drinker, but when I started making getting enough sleep one of my top priorities, I found I didn't need it like I used to. My stomach is so much more settled now that I'm drinking only two or three 8 oz. cups a day. At Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts, I get iced coffee with skim milk. I like the fancier drinks, but I just don't see the sense in drinking away my calories (not to mention spending a lot more).
  • jclark0523
    jclark0523 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink it black with no cream or sweetener of any kind. Its an acquired taste, but you don't have to worry about stacking up calories with every cup.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    At home I put cinnamon, organic half and half, and a stevia packet. When I go out for coffee I usually get a soy latte, sometimes with SF flavoring.
  • cadaverousbones
    cadaverousbones Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Thanks. The thing is I don't use a "Tablespoon" lol Which do you think is more beneficial, Sugar free or Fat free?

I think fat free is probably better, cuz I try to avoid artificial sweeteners, but you would have to read the label to see what is actually in it. Look for an organic creamer...
  • Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I drink mine the same way I always have, 2 tsp of sugar and 1 tblsp of regular non dairy creamer. My coffee is the ONLY calories I drink all day and I just have it factored in to my budget. I'd work on drinking less coffee rather than cutting the calories within it, but that's just me.
  • DistantJ
    DistantJ Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Starbucks grande iced coffee with extra cream and light ice, no sweetener. (I'm no help!!) :bigsmile:
  • easy2putt
    easy2putt Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I drink it black with no cream or sweetener of any kind. Its an acquired taste, but you don't have to worry about stacking up calories with every cup.

Same here..it is truly the only way to appreciate coffee. I even put it in my meal replacement shake.
  • janinab75
    janinab75 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would be no help. I went from 1 Truvia/Stevia and Fat Free 1/2 & 1/2 to straight black. It took a little getting used to, but now I'm fine with black coffee. I just need 1 16 oz. cup a day and I'm good to go. I didn't want to waste even the little bit of calories on the 1/2 and 1/2 so I went completely black.
  • gebhart4
    gebhart4 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    A big mug of coffee, which is about 5-7 cal. And 3 tsp of sugar and 3 tsp of cream. It gets me up and moving on a work day! (Averages to 74 CAL TOTAL.)
  • VirtuallyAmy
    VirtuallyAmy Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Look at the ingredients label of your Fat Free creamer.
    It turned out the one I was using had high fructose corn syrup. That kills me worse than plain sugar or the fat included creamer hahahha. I went back to regular creamer but cut back on how much I used. I swear I noticed a little weight loss there. Then I weaned off of that to fat free milk (and lactose free thank thank goodness!). Took a bit to get used to the lack of comfort food feel when I dropped creamer. More watery now. I still cannot take coffee without creamer. Totally a different drink.
    I do use just a touch of regular sugar and I have been fine. I drink between 2-4 cups of coffee. Water the rest of the day (occasionally one of those cups will be at night though! Does not keep me up.)
  • SheilAnneSmith
    SheilAnneSmith Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I add a glug of Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk and 4-6 drops of KAL Vanilla Liquid Stevia. It's great in hot coffee, or in iced coffee as well. I usually count my cup in at around 20-ish calories for a 16 oz coffee. Not too bad. The unsweetened almond milk is 30 calories per cup, so even if you use a lot of it, it doesn't add up too fast.
  • angellmoore
    angellmoore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I buy the flavored k cups as well. I just add a splash of milk. If I brew regular coffee, I brew a good brand and put some unsweetened vanilla almond milk in it. I was like you. I had a little coffee with my sugar/creamer. I could drink them all day long until I realized how many calories I was drinking. It took me about 3 weeks before I could drink a whole cup of black coffee. Now if I add one the the little single serving creamers my coffee seems really sweet.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    Water. I don't understand flavoured coffees. Coffee is a flavour :)
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I use equal. Like it better than splenda, and imho these chemical sweetners will only harm you in MASSIVE quantity, so its a risk Im willing to take. Heres how I do:

Usu 4 cups a day, sometimes 5 or 6 tho.... All are AT LEAST 20 oz, although Ill take 24 when I can get it.

At Dunkin: XL Hazlenut Light w/3equal (I log 120 cals for these)
    At Starbucks: Venti cup, 4 shots, top with whatever blend is brewing, 3 equal, Half and Half - I log 90 cals each for these (I can control my cream here!)
    At Home: 20 oz mug, Keurig strainer cup full of Fresh ground Starbucks Pikes Place, large cup button - add 3 equal. n NOW SERVING: Fat Free Half n Half. - I log 60 cals each for these....or if we have K Cups, those two at a time, one flavored, one not, n then half n half, no equal (These are 90 cals per in my diary)

So depending on the day, any where from 300 - 400 cals on coffee. I will not change this - COFFEE RULES! And besides, I've already given up EVERYTHING else!!

YAY COFFEE!!!
  • Comonemo
    Options
    I too have acquired the taste for black coffee (took a little while) but every now and then I will add a quarter cup of Unsweetened Coconut Milk (10 calories) and a Truvia packet or drop of almond/vanilla extract if I feel the need to flavor/sweeten it.
  • rickgomez2003
    Options
    I use 2TBS butter and 2TBS MTC oil. Bullet Proof Coffee.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind I drink my coffee black.....

What on Earth is the reason for bulletproof coffee and what does it taste like?

I read the 'inventor's' blurb and giggled, so I really don't get it! But so many others here drink it I am feeling nosy...
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I love coffee too and cannot stand black coffee. I use a k-cup and then about 2-3 T of sugar free french vanilla creamer. only 15 cal per T so its great to use!