"Why are you single?"

Options

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I was single because I was totally anti-commitment and flaky as hell. And I had a thing for horrible men who treated me badly on top of it. I knew the first two things then, but not the last.

Now that I'm with a man who actually loves me and thinks I'm a worthwhile person, so I can see exactly how bad the men I kept breaking up with really were. But if you'd asked me then I would have definitely said "I hate relationships and I'm bad at them." So yeah.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    My husband left me for a vapid little blonde girl. I've dated a bit since, but eh, no one seems to want to actually be with me. Dating someone now, but he more interested in the other girl he's dating. :(
  • Mr_Competitive
    Options
    Is this guy friggin blind? excuse me but if you came to NZ I'd marry you :)
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    So how do you answer that question when you get it?
    Do you answer with the stock "I just haven't found the right person"?

For those that ask that question on the first date - and I know you're out there - don't you think that's a pretty rude question to ask someone you barely know?

I always liked a version of the Bridget Jones answer:

"Oh, I don't know.

Suppose it doesn't help that underneath my clothes.. my entire body is covered in scales."

and the rather truthful "I'm having too much fun as is - the world isn't ready for a double dose".

But that is a daft question to ask on a first date - worst of all it is prompting the other person to comment on their last relationship which is something to avoiding discussing no matter what on a first date!
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Is this guy friggin blind? excuse me but if you came to NZ I'd marry you :)

Well, we have your reason. :flowerforyou:
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Because I'm not going down for a third strike!
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options

No. The most idiotic question in the world is,

..."what do you do?"

translation: "How much money do you make?" That's what they're really asking. :)

This is the one thing about dating sites that really bug me. Income should never, ever be a question, unless a person chooses to divulge it of their own free will, and way down the road.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    When I was single, I was single because I was totally anti-commitment and flaky as hell. And I had a thing for horrible men who treated me badly on top of it. I knew the first two things then, but not the last.

Now that I'm with a man who actually loves me and thinks I'm a worthwhile person, so I can see exactly how bad the men I kept breaking up with really were. But if you'd asked me then I would have definitely said "I hate relationships and I'm bad at them." So yeah.

Ha, your old self sounds like me now!
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    It's simple: fear of commitment.
  • Yanagibashi
    Yanagibashi Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm single because a partner would throw off my crazy cat lady mojo.
  • HarrietSmeltzer1
    HarrietSmeltzer1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Married once divorced 39 years since 33 years old never lived with a man had one long term relationship. Worked 29 years for govt still work part time am 70 marriage is for the young to grow old together I already am old. Don't let life :flowerforyou: :heart: pass you by if you want to get married do it by 45 good luck in love
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    In the context of speed dating, I think i'd give something pleasantly cheeky but at the same time offered no real information.
    "I don't think of it as being single - more like, in between partners":smokin:
  • ace__of__spades
    Options
    Its simple: too much good sex...
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Its simple: too much good sex...

Lol.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Statistically speaking, married people have more and better sex. I think it's the hunt that people miss so much.
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I'm single because I'm too independent for any man I know.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Because guys have way too much drama.

^^^^^^agreed
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    Because guys have way too much drama.

^^^^^^agreed

Yeah, I'm sure the guys are the ones that create the drama.
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am not sure but I'm switching to white, Latina and Asian women!
  • ace__of__spades
    Options
    Statistically speaking, married people have more and better sex. I think it's the hunt that people miss so much.

Reference or its bull****