5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• KathleenMurry
    KathleenMurry Posts: 448 Member
    Options

Eat sensibly when you get home. Max 2k calories for a man for the day

Why so few calories? You bet your *kitten* I'm eating 3000+ calories on days I run 15 miles. And I'm a small female.

Worst training plan I ever saw.

Where did you go OP?
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Not one single rest day NOT ONE! :noway:

Only 2000 cals a day for a man - on 24 mile runs - **** that.

Recipe for disaster I'm afraid.

I'm currently making up my own plan to get from 5k to 10k and EVERYONE recommends no more than a 10% increase in mileage each week with regularly spaced de-load weeks to help you recover.

Yes, a few people might be able to do this without injury but I'll bet 99% of people do some damage to themselves.

Seriously what's the rush - take it slow enjoy the learning curve and don't run before you can walk :wink:

I've done the rushing into a marathon training plan and got injured - I would never do that again, and would suggest you to listen to the others saying the same thing. The race will still be there next year - and then you will be able to fully enjoy it.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Eat sensibly when you get home. Max 2k calories for a man for the day

Why so few calories? You bet your *kitten* I'm eating 3000+ calories on days I run 15 miles. And I'm a small female.

Worst training plan I ever saw.

Where did you go OP?

This was part of the plan??? I missed that.

Terrifying. I'm a fairly old guy who maintains on 2500 daily...

...and those days don't include running 15 miles. I'd need to eat closer to 4000.

So I guess this "plan" is for going from 5k jogger to trail marathoner *AND* losing weight at the same time?!?

My brain...it hurts. (And I think my PF flared up just thinking about this "plan".)
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I await Steve Redgrave's walking up the stairs to sprinting across the states non stop in 3 easy steps with eagerness

day one - walk up stairs

day two - walk up two flights of stairs

day three - sprint across america without stopping

day four - wind down by jogging the sahara in flip flops without water wearing a 50kg back pack
  • hilts1969
    hilts1969 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I await Steve Redgrave's walking up the stairs to sprinting across the states non stop in 3 easy steps with eagerness

day one - walk up stairs

day two - walk up two flights of stairs

day three - sprint across america without stopping

day four - wind down by jogging the sahara in flip flops without water wearing a 50kg back pack
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest this unless you're already at a 10k level. The first week expects a LSD of 6mi? Yeah, not going to happen if you are just finishing c25k.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    The extent of this "training plan" seems to be "run further every week". It's pure, unadulterated, insanity. No rest days. Insufficient caloric intake. Insane ramping up. No mention of pacing, intervals, tempo runs, etc...

I've never before been so hopeful that I'm responding to a troll post.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    Also, gold medals for rowing don't increase your credibility for putting together running plans.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I'll take "really, really good ways to get injured for $500 Alex..."
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Also, gold medals for rowing don't increase your credibility for putting together running plans.
    actually James cracknell has experience in multiple sports and has completed events such as the Marathon De stables. So he has pretty good credibility just not convinced about this plan.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    OP - please do come back and update us in 14 weeks
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'd actually like to know the original source for this training plan. Is it actually designed by James Cracknell or is that just what someone has said?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    actually James cracknell has experience in multiple sports and has completed events such as the Marathon De stables. So he has pretty good credibility just not convinced about this plan.

I wonder how long it took him to go from "sedentary slob" to "ultramarathon runner."
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Is anybody else seeing the 2000 daily calories for a man with that kind of running a trifle extreme. I eat 2000 BEFORE I add in my exercise calories and I'm losing a 1/2 pound a week.

Edit: never mind. Just read the second half of the second page. LOL on the sprinting up stairs to running across the country comment.
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options

Yes, but as you yourself pointed out, he started from a position of excellent physical fitness. Not from only just managing to run a 5k for the first time.

I'm sure he has credibility for running technique, etc.. but he has no credibility for turning beginners, who have run for a total of nine weeks and just run their first 5k, into ultra-marathoners.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    But didn't the OP actually follow this plan before?
  • stumblinthrulife
    Options
    But didn't the OP actually follow this plan before?

The OP has zero credibility.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    this really sounds tempting

it sounds ( and is ) very stupid.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    OP - please do come back and update us in 3 weeks when you are sidelined with injuries...

fixed it for you!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Why is it that running threads never have the level of butthurt as ordinary threads?