5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    You need to be careful about who you recommend this plan to. It works for seasoned runners. It works for Cracknell because he is already an elite athlete. Someone already running a base of 25-30 mpw might be able to take this on and be ok.

Most people in MFP who have done C25K are not fit enough or experienced enough to take on this plan. They also come to these forums and place a lot of trust in people like you giving them false hopes.

Lucky for these people, we have someone like Carson, who has TONS of credibility and experience (if you knew him, you would know this, too) warning beginners not to take on the plan you're promoting to them.

Agreed. As someone who is running 50/miles a week and has so many marathons under my belt that I've lost count, could I do this plan? Sure. Would I? Hell no. I'm all about pushing yourself beyond what you think you are capable of, but no rest days, insane schedule, 2000 cals/day? I would kill and eat my coworkers at that level. It just seems like a recipe for disaster. It is more than possible that someone could get through it uninjured, but to flaunt it as a proper way of training is like a smoker walking around bragging that they don't have cancer, so smoking must not be unhealthy.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I think what you mean is "it is attainable for someone who has a ton of time, no injury, is willing to do a super-hardcore training schedule but for some reason hasn't been doing it already, doesn't get any injuries, and is a lucky *kitten*."

I believe that "someone" has attained this, but for 99% of people this is a terrible idea. The Olympic athlete who designed this isn't really your average joe...
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Ah .... just found a very similar plan in issue 22 of the UK Magazine 'Outdoor Fitness' this one is jogger to Ultra Runner in 12 weeks and is even harder but very similar to weeks 3 to 14 of the plan I'm doing.

It's written by Ultra Running Coach Rory Coleman who has run 780 Marathons and 190 Ultra Marathons including completing the 'Marathon Des Sables' 10 times. You can check his credentials out at www.rorycoleman.co.uk.

I suppose he's got no credibility either ... that's an Olympic Athlete and Britains most successful Ultra Running coach against erm some geezer called 'CarsonRuns' and a lass called 'Vardaeml' ????

I do admire your commitment to the plan and your defense of it.

And yes, if coach Rory Coleman is advocating a similar program for *someone who is new to running*, then while he may have "credibility", I would still say the program is "idiotic".

I'm in the UK and I'm going to pop into smiths tomorrow to read this jogger to ultra runner article.

I'll report back :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The cover actually says "anybody can run an ultra"

Still stupid.
  • humberstunner
    Options
    Hello!

I ain't attacked anyone .... might of been a bit tongue in cheeky sarcy but that's it.

Well you've all got your point of views, but I'll stick with the experts
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I ain't attacked anyone .... might of been a bit tongue in cheeky sarcy but that's it.

You mean "I'll search high and low for one expert who said something similar to what I said, then stick with him 100% while ignoring every other expert I come across who disagrees."
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I wish you success.

I'm going to stick with the experts who say not to ramp up too far and too fast because you risk injury. :smile:
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Which is what I've done as well. Everything I've typed here has been gleaned from the writings of experts like Arthur Lydiard, Dr. Jack Daniles, Dr. Tim Noakes, Greg McMillan, Renato Canova, the Hanson brothers, Alberto Salazar...I could go on and on.

In principle, they all agree AND have produced world class runners. They are the experts.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Hello!

You mean "I'll search high and low for one expert who said something similar to what I said, then stick with him 100% while ignoring every other expert I come across who disagrees."

In OP's defense, this approach is entirely consistent with many others on MFP.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hello!

Yeah, but running threads aren't suppose to degenerate to that level.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Hello!

Yeah, but running threads aren't suppose to degenerate to that level.

*No* thread (or position) should degenerate to that level.

It just seems that it seldom happens (at least to this extent) with running threads.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Week 2 complete!

We feel fantastic, all three of us are gagging to get out into the hills and hitting the proper miles but keeping it on the flat for now and always sticking to the plan.

I don't know what time we did todays 9.23 miles in and I don't care, I aren't Mo Farah and aren't going to win any races. For us, as always, it's about completing not competing!

It was so beautiful tonight running along Humberston Beach in Lincolnshire (google it) at sunset with my two favourite girls!

So proud of Beth who's doing the Mablethorpe 1/2 marathon in 2 weeks and my wife Deb who just loves it.

Yeah, course you are.

c25k to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks - you have been running for five minutes and think you can conquer the world and also think everybdy who has been running for years and years and is advising against this is wrong.

Says it all really.

That plan is an absolute recipe for disaster, why are you rushing to complete a trail marathon in 14 weeks, have you always rushed headlong through everything?

What's your racing time for a 10k, or have you not raced a 10k yet? What's your racetime for a 5k, or is that still not been done yet?

What about a half marathon, you raced one of those yet, what was your time?

Oh I forgot, you only recently completed the c25k.

Seriously OP, if you want to rush everything and endorse such a dangerous plan, then on your head be it.
  • __Di__
    Options
    OK, this plan is assuming you are already a regular 3 mile plus jogger

Remember that distance is the key NOT speed or time. As always with all trail runs a combination of running and walking helps Try to run in the country on paths rather than on tarmac as it's easier on your feet and joints. It's amazing how quick your body does strengthen to do the distance.

Get a camel pack and fill it with electrolytes. On the longer runs take nuts, seeds, chocolate & jelly babies and eat continually (four jelly babies a mile) and stop half way to eat. Take Ibuprofen with you to get you through the little niggles.

and the bolded bit above really caps it for me.

OP do you know how dangerous taking Ibuprofen whilst running is? It can do your kidneys in.

Taking Ibuprofen whilst running will take away any pain, but that pain may be there for a reason, you numbing it will not stop the actual injury.

I cannot believe this, it is totally and utterly ludicrous.

ps OP, you read any books on running - I am thinking Born to Run by Chris McDougall or Eat and Run by Scott Jurek by any chance?

*waiting for the answer I suspect is the right one.*
  • likitisplit
    Options

Remember that distance is the key NOT speed or time. As always with all trail runs a combination of running and walking helps Try to run in the country on paths rather than on tarmac as it's easier on your feet and joints. It's amazing how quick your body does strengthen to do the distance.

Get a camel pack and fill it with electrolytes. On the longer runs take nuts, seeds, chocolate & jelly babies and eat continually (four jelly babies a mile) and stop half way to eat. Take Ibuprofen with you to get you through the little niggles.

OP do you know how dangerous taking Ibuprofen whilst running is? It can do your kidneys in.

Taking Ibuprofen whilst running will take away any pain, but that pain may be there for a reason, you numbing it will not stop the actual injury.

ps OP, you read any books on running - I am thinking Born to Run by Chris McDougall or Eat and Run by Scott Jurek by any chance?

The OP has a 25+ mile weekly base and considerable cardio fitness. Which is one thing he left out of his whole "this program is for newbies" spiel.
  • 58Rock
    58Rock Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    This not a wise idea at all. It is a recipe for injury. There is absolutely no reason to jump from 5K to ultra in that short of a period of time. There are plenty of intermediate goals that are worthwhile. I just don't get why so many people feel like you have to run a marathon or longer to be considered a runner. Why not try for a 25 minute 5K? That still requires you to run nearly the same mileage that you would to train for a Half Marathon.

Running endurance is not built up over a period of weeks and months. It takes YEARS to build a proper aerobic base AND to condition the muscles, tendons and ligaments to be able to handle the rigors of marathon training. You can't rush it. There are no shortcuts. You just have to run and gradually build your mileage.

^^^ This. Excellent adivise. You would do well to take head. At best, for those starting out on their first half/marathon training program, recommend that 10% be the limit for each increase in a long run. Example: your last long rung was five miles. You next long run should be 5.5, no more than 6. This will allow your body to adapt to staying on your feet longer without the risk of of over stressing and injury.
  • __Di__
    Options

The OP has a 25+ mile weekly base and considerable cardio fitness. Which is one thing he left out of his whole "this program is for newbies" spiel.

In that case, this whole thread is even more of a joke because absolutely nothing is truth from the beginning :laugh:
  • likitisplit
    Options

In that case, this whole thread is even more of a joke because absolutely nothing is truth from the beginning :laugh:

Yeah. It's pretty awesome. As long as it doesn't get anybody hurt.
  • __Di__
    Options

Yeah. It's pretty awesome. As long as it doesn't get anybody hurt.

Yes, this is exactly what worries me on some threads, this one included. That's why I get so het up at them.

It is irresponsible :(
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    So when is the big 15 miler?
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    So when is the big 15 miler?

According to the schedule (aka programme), it should be in about a week...at the end of week 4.

For mere mortals, this would definitely be the point where the likely unreasonableness of this approach will be most glaringly obvious. Am interested to learn how OP and his family fare with this distance just a month in.