5k Jogger to Ultra Runner in 14 weeks

Options

Replies

• humberstunner
    Options
    Well thanks for your concern all

It's the 15 miler on Sunday from Humberston, up to Horse Shoe point across to North Cotes then to Tetney and back along the sea wall to Humberston - all points in North East Lincolnshire(Google it all if you're interested) 13.1 miles for daughter Beth as in Mablethorpe Half Marathon.

I'll let you know how me and Mrs OP get on as I'm sure you're all rooting for us (Hhhmmmm)

We actually did a 6 miler last Saturday and a 11 miler on Sunday and all felt tired but pretty good after. This week so far done 2 x 5 milers

In brief answer to some of your queries: I do have a reasonable level of fitness (I used to run 5k three times a week before I started this plan - see the title of the post, and bike to work) and my best for a trail half marathon is 2 hours 32 mins (Ravenscar Coastal Half Marathon) done last April beaten by Beth who did it in 2 hours 31 min.

I don't run races much, as don't really see the point since I'm not very fast, I like to chat while I run, don't care where I finish and I hate paying the money out for nothing.

However, this race inspired us as we walked the Cleveland Way this year and loved the scenery and this run is over some of the same territory so thought we would give it a go.

..... anyway over to you Yanks to give me more 'inspirational' advice and complements, and for more 'Butt hurt'!
  • humberstunner
    Options
    Oh ... and less than a stone to go. Since doing the programme/schedule/plan/irresponsible idea I've nearly lost a stone!
  • humberstunner
    Options
    For mere mortals, this would definitely be the point where the likely unreasonableness of this approach will be most glaringly obvious. Am interested to learn how OP and his family fare with this distance just a month in.

jofjltncb6, just looked at your previous and your many succinct posts on a whole host of subjects do make me laugh .... keep up the good work chap!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    For mere mortals, this would definitely be the point where the likely unreasonableness of this approach will be most glaringly obvious. Am interested to learn how OP and his family fare with this distance just a month in.

jofjltncb6, just looked at your previous and your many succinct posts on a whole host of subjects do make me laugh .... keep up the good work chap!

Jof is hilarious. When I have an off-day, I stalk his forum posts - they always cheer me up.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    To be absolutely clear, I sincerely wish you no harm from your running whether it's this program or another. You running yourself into an injury will not convince me any more that this program is a generally bad idea for 99.44% of runners whose current max is a 5k. (Also, you successfully completing the program without an injury will not convince me any *less* either.) That said, I am being absolutely sincere when I say I want to know how it goes for you.

My advice thus far in this thread not to follow this program is intended for a general audience. I'm standing behind this advice. Nonetheless, I secretly hope that you push through to the end (whether that's the end of the program or the end of your ability to continue pursuing it). We as a people would have advanced very little in our understanding of how things work (and don't work) without people willing to step out and do their own n=1 even in the face of overwhelming evidence that should lead them to conclude it's a Very Bad Idea™.

Jof is hilarious. When I have an off-day, I stalk his forum posts - they always cheer me up.
    You're both too kind. :flowerforyou:
  • likitisplit
    Options
    To be absolutely clear, I sincerely wish you no harm from your running whether it's this program or another. You running yourself into an injury will not convince me any more that this program is a generally bad idea for 99.44% of runners whose current max is a 5k. (Also, you successfully completing the program without an injury will not convince me any *less* either.) That said, I am being absolutely sincere when I say I want to know how it goes for you.

My advice thus far in this thread not to follow this program is intended for a general audience. I'm standing behind this advice. Nonetheless, I secretly hope that you push through to the end (whether that's the end of the program or the end of your ability to continue pursuing it). We as a people would have advanced very little in our understanding of how things work (and don't work) without people willing to step out and do their own n=1 even in the face of overwhelming evidence that should lead them to conclude it's a Very Bad Idea™.

I agree.

My concern is that I'm active on the C25k boards and I see the "do or die" attitudes that people start running with. It takes some of them a couple of months to settle down and figure out what long-term success looks like. This plan isn't it for the majority of us.

Additionally, you have a considerable amount of aerobic fitness that most people doing the C25k program do not start (or finish) with. A lot of us are pretty surprised to not be doing 10 minute miles by the end of the 9 weeks.

So, I want it to be crystal clear what the expectations should be before starting this program. If somebody chooses to do this program, I want them to go into it fully armed with the realities of what they should expect if they are just starting out.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    Original post made you sound like much more of a novice than later posts.. that is all.... good luck
  • Lisah8969
    Lisah8969 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Bumping this one so I can check back every week to see how the family is doing.

I've done 5 halfs so far and have another one in 2 months. I still have loads to learn and found some great words of wisdom on this thread from other posters. Thanks!
  • ortin19
    Options
    Bumping also. I'm training for my first half in December after completing a 5K a few weeks ago. This thread is fascinating.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I agree.

My concern is that I'm active on the C25k boards and I see the "do or die" attitudes that people start running with. It takes some of them a couple of months to settle down and figure out what long-term success looks like. This plan isn't it for the majority of us.

Additionally, you have a considerable amount of aerobic fitness that most people doing the C25k program do not start (or finish) with. A lot of us are pretty surprised to not be doing 10 minute miles by the end of the 9 weeks.

So, I want it to be crystal clear what the expectations should be before starting this program. If somebody chooses to do this program, I want them to go into it fully armed with the realities of what they should expect if they are just starting out.

Precisely. It's not you that I'm concerned about OP, it's the other new runners that see the thread title and dive in with both feet and end up hurt and discouraged.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    In brief answer to some of your queries: I do have a reasonable level of fitness (I used to run 5k three times a week before I started this plan - see the title of the post, and bike to work) and my best for a trail half marathon is 2 hours 32 mins (Ravenscar Coastal Half Marathon) done last April beaten by Beth who did it in 2 hours 31 min.
    Ah, having this as a base and keeping ticking over at 5K is a somewhat different prospect to never having run further than 5K.

In that case carry on and good luck for the race, but C25K beginners beware, this is not for you.
  • humberstunner
    Options
    Been a bit late keeping you all up to date on my training log .... sorry for that.

We ran the 15 miler last weekend and loved it, we were actually quite amazed at how good we felt after it.

Beth(daughter) did the Mablethorpe 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes with her mate chatting all the way round and hardly breaking a sweat.

Ran two 5 miles this week missed out on one run because of long shift at work and a bit gutted over it!

Tomorrow we are doing an 8 mile run along Filey, North Yorkshire beach. Taking in Reighton, Filey, Hunmanby Gap and Filey (Google it, its beautiful) - 8 miles in all. On Sunday we are doing an 18 miler round Humberston, North Cotes, Donna Nook and the Louth Navigation Canal.

This is a stretching programme, it may be too much for some people, it is bloody hard but it works ... all three of us are evidence to that!
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Been a bit late keeping you all up to date on my training log .... sorry for that.

We ran the 15 miler last weekend and loved it, we were actually quite amazed at how good we felt after it.

Beth(daughter) did the Mablethorpe 1/2 Marathon in 2 hours 10 minutes with her mate chatting all the way round and hardly breaking a sweat.

Ran two 5 miles this week missed out on one run because of long shift at work and a bit gutted over it!

Tomorrow we are doing an 8 mile run along Filey, North Yorkshire beach. Taking in Reighton, Filey, Hunmanby Gap and Filey (Google it, its beautiful) - 8 miles in all. On Sunday we are doing an 18 miler round Humberston, North Cotes, Donna Nook and the Louth Navigation Canal.

This is a stretching programme, it may be too much for some people, it is bloody hard but it works ... all three of us are evidence to that!

Ahh that's ok then, whereabouts on the results is she? Only cannot see her name there:

http://www.mablethorpemarathon.com/?page_id=236
  • likitisplit
    Options

Ahh that's ok then, whereabouts on the results is she? Only cannot see her name there:

She must use her middle name.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

Well hopefully the OP will enlighten us :)
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options

well there are two Elizabeth's between 2:06 and 2:14 so not sure why you think she's not there. It's not unknown for people to round there times up or down when discussing them. Not everything is a deep dark conspiracy
  • ken_hogan
    ken_hogan Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Just want to sit back and read... :)
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

well there are two Elizabeth's between 2:06 and 2:14 so not sure why you think she's not there. It's not unknown for people to round there times up or down when discussing them. Not everything is a deep dark conspiracy

Yeah, gotta side with this view. We may not agree with the training plan, or the way it was presented, but impugning his daughter's achievements goes a little beyond the pale and seems unnecessary.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    this thread is mind boggling.

and op, half the people on this thread are, in addition to being far more experienced runners than you, also from the uk. quit the 'you yanks' nonsense and frequent google maps references. it is embarrassing.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    this thread is mind boggling.

and op, half the people on this thread are, in addition to being far more experienced runners than you, also from the uk. quit the 'you yanks' nonsense and frequent google maps references. it is embarrassing.

Thank you...:flowerforyou:

earlier we were "continentals" :huh: