Should sugar be controlled like tobacco and alcohol

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

what a shock, you don't understand evolution either.

eta: "survival of the fittest" is something that is greatly misunderstood. It means that the fittest of en entire population, not just the ones at the peak. A better way to say it is "survival of the minimally fit". I mean, look around you. Clearly not only the strongest/smartest are surviving. You just have to be able to get by.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

Right cause calories have nothing to do with it, just if your food is clean or not
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    One of the most ridiculous things I've ever read on here. That's saying a lot.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options

I eat between 100 - 200 g of sugar a day. Not obese.
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely for more government intervention in people's lives, but I would say that controlling the number of calories a person is allowed to consume a day will be far more effective.

ooo..I know...we can put a chip in everyone's head and if you eat more than your alloted calories, it blows up. Anything short of that is meaningless.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

so let me see... either you eat "clean" or you are obese. there is no middle ground?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    now that is FRICKIN HILARIOUS!
    We should control what people should be parents too
    CAUSE MOST SUCK!
  • TodayImEvolving
    TodayImEvolving Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely for more government intervention in people's lives, but I would say that controlling the number of calories a person is allowed to consume a day will be far more effective.

ooo..I know...we can put a chip in everyone's head and if you eat more than your alloted calories, it blows up. Anything short of that is meaningless.

:laugh:
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    MORE GOVERNMENT!! WE NEED MORE GOVERNMENT!!

RonPaul-its-happening.gif

Somehow, this is Obama's fault.

Well, yeah. It was in a chain email I got yesterday, so it must me.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

how about the government just rations food. let's let some nameless, faceless bureaucrat decide how many calories each specific family is allowed. hopefully, if you don't piss anyone off and aren't labeled an enemy of the state, they'll give you just enough to survive. and those hours spent waiting in lines for the food will help you conserve your energy. i mean, this worked so well in the USSR, i'm sure it could work here...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

no, because if there was a zombie apocalypse or anything else that causes civilisation to collapse, the obese would be the most likely to survive, as they'd have more fat reserves to keep them alive while they learn how to hunt and gather food. People with 6 pack abs will die first, unless they're already accomplished at hunting (preferably using stone age technologies, as when the bullets run out you'll be screwed as there's nowhere to buy new bullets if civilisation has collapsed)

Actually, that's why human beings are so prone to obesity.... because it's what enables humans to survive food shortages. Natural selection hasn't resulted in there being any upper limit to how much fat humans can gain, because we've never before had enough to eat to enable people to get fat enough to endanger their health enough to offset the survival benefits of storing body fat. And at the present time, obesity isn't killing enough people soon enough to stop them breeding, so there's very little selection pressure against being obese. It's only the "get carried out of your house by a crane" levels of obesity that's going to eliminate people from the gene pool, and those people probably have a medical abnormality that stops them from feeling full... whatever gene codes for that might get eliminated from the gene pool, but the tendency to sit around on your backside all day eating pizza and getting moderately obese isn't going to be eliminated from the gene pool anytime soon...
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    If you take away my chocolate... there will be hell to pay!! :mad:
  • LePetitCochon
    Options
    tumblr_md1rnigM0w1r2q56co1_250.gif

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

So you're either a clean eater or you're obese? Those are the only choices?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    and guns and bullets and seatbelts and helmets and lightbulbs and real estate setbacks and speed limits and no parking and noise ordinances and no pets and no smoking and one quart ziplock bags with no more than three point five fluid ounce containers and . . .

CPsedVp.gif
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    enough-internet-cat.gif
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Do you work Kool-Aid into your clean eating regimen?

tumblr_mj1tekS2KN1ro8ysbo1_400.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.
    The people who are eating so much they're immobile have serious problems with food in general. I bet some of them get that way who don't like sweet things at all.