Should sugar be controlled like tobacco and alcohol

Options

Replies

• whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Great! Now I suppose I should start growing sugar beets in my closet with a UV light.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

tumblr_mas1t0ExD11qgd0muo1_500.gif
  • septembergrrl
    septembergrrl Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.
    The people who are eating so much they're immobile have serious problems with food in general. I bet some of them get that way who don't like sweet things at all.

Sorry, not quite getting your point. I agree not everyone with a weight-related health problem has an issue with sugar specifically. But saying "it's not the government's business to control my choices" ignores the fact the government -- meaning the rest of us -- ends up paying for it if your poor choices make you sick.

Actually, it's an argument for taxing junk food more than anything else...
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Cue the Randy Weavers and Dale Gribbles...
  • mom2sons02
    mom2sons02 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

Spoken like a true libertarian. AND I agree!
  • Janice2Shakira
    Options
    Cue the Randy Weavers and Dale Gribbles...

I believe they prefer to be called Rusty Shacklefords.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    So, since my banana has more sugar in it than most gummi bears do, would my banana be regulated and I could eat the gummi bears, or would they both require id?
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    We don't ban ****-***** and that's where the real danger lies.
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.

So when the obese drain medicare or Medicaid with their multiple ailments and the rest of us pay for that with higher taxes, it is on our dime, shouldn't it make sense we are taxing the products that impact health care. Look at what they have done to tobacco, taxed it and taxed it and taxed it again.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Rigger

'

So when the obese drain medicare or Medicaid with their multiple ailments and the rest of us pay for that with higher taxes, it is on our dime, shouldn't it make sense we are taxing the products that impact health care. Look at what they have done to tobacco, taxed it and taxed it and taxed it again.

So obese people must all be on government assistance and are only obese because of calories from sugar.

Logic.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    away.jpg
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Rigger

'

Tobacco isn't taxed because it kills you.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

I don't eat "clean"...I just use common sense, eat a well rounded and balanced diet, and get my fitness on.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    No ™

Trademarks remain property of Crankstr, Inc, and are used only to directly describe the products being provided. Their use in no way indicates any relationship between the poster, and Crankstr, Inc.
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

SUGAR INTERVENTION!!!

The whole family gathers round and tells you all the reasons your sugar-eating is ruining everyone's life! LOL
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Rigger

'

Tobacco isn't taxed because it kills you.

Sure it is! The governments wants us to be healthy, so they tax it people won't do it!

Oh....wait, they tax it because people are addicted and they can make bank?
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Xzhibit-heard-you-like-derp-Pdn4FA.jpg
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Tobacco taxes in Canada

British Columbai which will receive $44.60 per carton in taxes with the new increase, to eventually tax cigarettes as heavily as leaders Northwest Territories and Manitoba, which both receive more than $56 per carton. Quebec and Ontario, the provinces that tax cigarettes the least, both raise less than $30 per carton in taxes. In Ontario, a pack can cost as little as $6.50.

“I appreciate that it is hard for smokers to quit,” Seely said. “But there is now a year-old B.C. smoking cessation program that provides smokers with the 1-888-QUIT line, (through) which they can receive counselling and subsidized nicotine replacement therapies.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "Lustig."