• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading at "Lustig."

^^^^ This
  • Elliesque
    Elliesque Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I think stupidity should be a controlled substance. Like if you have an IQ below X it's gently less conveinent to leave your home and communicate with the outside world.

QFT. Period.
  • j75j75
    j75j75 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Even if the government wanted to they can't. Do you know how many industries are fueled by sugar?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    X47H5.gif
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.
    The people who are eating so much they're immobile have serious problems with food in general. I bet some of them get that way who don't like sweet things at all.

Sorry, not quite getting your point. I agree not everyone with a weight-related health problem has an issue with sugar specifically. But saying "it's not the government's business to control my choices" ignores the fact the government -- meaning the rest of us -- ends up paying for it if your poor choices make you sick.

Actually, it's an argument for taxing junk food more than anything else...
    So they start with regulating sugar, then potato chips, then cheese and pasta and freaking avocados because they're VERY high in calories for a fruit/vegetable.

Where do you stop?

Ban sugar or tax it or put an age limit on it, there will still be just as many obese people because SUGAR DOESN'T CAUSE OBESITY!!!!
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    2qtiyc0.jpg

^^^ this
  • Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    BAN ALL THE FOODZ!
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The AMA just declared obesity a disease a month ago. You can tin hat me all you want, it's all money.
    None left in bashing tobacco. ;)
    Big food is the baddy now
  • dirty_dirty_eater
    dirty_dirty_eater Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Maybe we could create a sugar exchange system, like they do with carbon?
    If I buy meat for 10 people in a third world country I can earn sugar credits for my own use.

Call them, "Protein offsets."
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Any food bought with food stamps(ie other people's money), should be somewhat healthy. Other than that, no regs please.
  • Lichent
    Lichent Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.

So when the obese drain medicare or Medicaid with their multiple ailments and the rest of us pay for that with higher taxes, it is on our dime, shouldn't it make sense we are taxing the products that impact health care. Look at what they have done to tobacco, taxed it and taxed it and taxed it again.

Maybe they should just kick the obese to the curb after all they didn't take responsibilty for getting themselves fat. They don't get free medical at someone else's expense, they are disqualified.
    Meantime me and my buddy should be getting discount airfares for the weight we have lost and the other guy who is doing nothing about his weight should be paying more to fly. It cost all that much more in fuel to fly the obese guys. They are not very enviromentally friendly and I don't feel that I have to subsidize their travel.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    The AMA just declared obesity a disease a month ago. You can tin hat me all you want, it's all money.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options

Um..you just going to repost that every six or seven hours and keep hoping someone bites, or what?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Um..you just going to repost that every six or seven hours and keep hoping someone bites, or what?

Yeah. I'm confused as well as to why you'd keep reposting the same thing.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think limiting the amount of rubbish/sugar in fast food is an idea that has potential. Just like, guidelines that fast food places have to stick to.

I know everyone is like 'lol just limit your portions, its all great' but thats the damned problem. people are no good at limiting their intake, they don't know how much they're consuming or they just don't care. All those smug people calling everyone else idiots -- why are you here, on a weight-loss forum? Is it perhaps because you got fat from eating too much rubbish food? It's so easy to just post snide gifs and one-liners and act like you're above it all. Like you were never one of those idiotic sheep who couldn't control themselves.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I think limiting the amount of rubbish/sugar in fast food is an idea that has potential. Just like, guidelines that fast food places have to stick to.

I know everyone is like 'lol just limit your portions, its all great' but thats the damned problem. people are no good at limiting their intake, they don't know how much they're consuming or they just don't care. All those smug people calling everyone else idiots -- why are you here, on a weight-loss forum? Is it perhaps because you got fat from eating too much rubbish food? It's so easy to just post snide gifs and one-liners and act like you're above it all. Like you were never one of those idiotic sheep who couldn't control themselves.

I got fat by overeating and drinking a few litres of Mountain Dew per day. It wasn't that I couldn't control myself, it is that I didn't try.
  • FearAnLoathingJ
    FearAnLoathingJ Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    No
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

1. 1336872063371.jpg

2. you should read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill

3. Not everyone on this site is overweight, or used to be overweight. Just fyi.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Wow. I'm a stress/bored and emotional overeater and so yes, I have issues controlling myself but I never thought of myself as an idiotic sheep.

And yet, with little steps and learning not to label foods bad or demonize them, I'm able to have what you call "rubbish" now and again in moderation.

Willpower is like training for a run or lifting. The more you "exercise it", the more you get and the better you have at using it.
  • stephaniemejia1671
    Options
    No...just.... no.