Should sugar be controlled like tobacco and alcohol

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to catch up later...

...(or at least keep up from this point on).
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    sure foods expensive enough now were going to tax it...yay for worldwide starvation. You can eat organic overpriced food that no small village could afford and drink your dirty water cause we know what's best.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1. [img]http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vg/image/1336/87/1336872063371.jpg[/img 2. you should read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill 3. Not everyone on this site is overweight, or used to be overweight. Just fyi. [/quote] 'people are no good at limiting their intake' 'read this post about moderation and limiting intake' Thanks for that really relevant contribution.[/img]

Wow. I'm a stress/bored and emotional overeater and so yes, I have issues controlling myself but I never thought of myself as an idiotic sheep.

And yet, with little steps and learning not to label foods bad or demonize them, I'm able to have what you call "rubbish" now and again in moderation.

Willpower is like training for a run or lifting. The more you "exercise it", the more you get and the better you have at using it.

sry i would have italicized it if i could, i'm not calling people that as my own opinion. Its just the rude, smug comments in threads like this that absolutely do my head in. Some people seem to forget so easily what the start of their weightloss journey was like.
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's an idea to put better info on products regarding things like sugar, I only now know how much sugar I should have due to my MFP app. My doctor, neuro etc .. never gave any info or help regarding things like calories etc even though they'd seen it was needed and to doctor dieting had been mentioned.

To start with people do not know what a correct portion is, there is nothing on the plate that says x calories, sugar etc .. you have to go by what you know from growing up. Depending on how school etc gave out portions that does not help.

I used to live eating no breakfast, through day coffee's, starbucks .. get home and a rustlers burger. That would be it, maybe cold rice pudding out of the tin (just need to wash up spoon lol)

And I was stick thin and just above correct weight for ages, no exercise.

Only way I get info for most things is using the barcode and thats not useful after you've bought it.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with policy solutions like this in general.

Idk about banning (but am not immediately opposed to it), but a strong public education effort & good labelling of hidden sugar would be great, especially with so many metabolic problems going...

There's no need for 10 grams of sugar in your average cup of canned tomato sauce, other than to hide the taste of preservatives.
  • ostrichagain
    ostrichagain Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Well, this would make feeding the hummingbirds, making sugar wax for my legs or exfoliating scrubs 100% less convenient.

I probably go through a pound of sugar I never eat just doing those things every week.

OMG. Can you imagine? Behind the counter with the liquor, the smokes, the lottery tickets and the decongestants . . . I'll ask for a bag of granulated sugar like a bad a@@.
  • Kamikazeflutterby
    Kamikazeflutterby Posts: 775 Member
    Options

Idk about banning (but am not immediately opposed to it), but a strong public education effort & good labelling of hidden sugar would be great, especially with so many metabolic problems going...

There's no need for 10 grams of sugar in your average cup of canned tomato sauce, other than to hide the taste of preservatives.

Tomatoes have naturally occurring sugars in them. Tomato sauce is a bunch of cooked down tomatoes, so the sugar is slightly more concentrated. Also, adding a pinch of sugar to homemade tomato sauce is a great trick to cut the acidity and balance out the taste of your sauce.

Cooking--the art of processing your own foods.
  • stacyhaddenham
    stacyhaddenham Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Because regulating, taxing, age limits, bans and outlawing have been so effective with alcohol, Tabaco , illegal drugs and underage drinking? I can see it now, sugar cartels sprouting up, run by middle aged women with twinkie obsessions.
  • anemoneprose
    Options

Tomatoes have naturally occurring sugars in them. Tomato sauce is a bunch of cooked down tomatoes, so the sugar is slightly more concentrated. Also, adding a pinch of sugar to homemade tomato sauce is a great trick to cut the acidity and balance out the taste of your sauce.

thanks, am onto the sugar trick for homemade sauce.. am aware that cooking = processing, also :)
  • Leighjr
    Leighjr Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Well banning or controlling actual sugar is a dumb idea, it'd work as well as other idea's govt's have had. Saying that it means they'll probably try it lol

Now creating a proper guideline for foods and forcing companies to use it, or levy a tax if they don't (and we know govt's love taxing) so consumers know what they are buying and whats in it. My local tesco's has barcode scanner you can take with you to add up total faster for till I think. That'd be better used for getting the info of the item rather than making faster pricing for the cashier.
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No. But I'd sure like to see them control energy drinks. Seeing 10 year olds sculling 500mls of Monster makes me uncomfortable.
  • snookumss
    snookumss Posts: 1,451 Member
    Options
    People can suck it. If I want to be crazy and eat nothing but fatty and/or sugary foods, resulting in my own pain and diseases, then its my own freaking fault.
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

I think there's more than a pinch of sugar in the grocery store versions.

Heinz sauce ingredients: "Concentrated Tomatoes (Contains 174g Tomatoes per 100mL), Sugar, Salt, Food Acids (Acetic Acid, Citric Acid), Natural Flavours (Contain Garlic). Contains 78% Concentrated Tomatoes."

so what I'm getting from that is that 22% of that sauce is not actually tomatoes. Ingredients have to be listed in quantity order, and anything under 2% doesn't have to be listed at all.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    1. [img]http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/vg/image/1336/87/1336872063371.jpg[/img 2. you should read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1042954-moderation-is-a-basic-life-skill 3. Not everyone on this site is overweight, or used to be overweight. Just fyi.[/img]

'people are no good at limiting their intake'

'read this post about moderation and limiting intake'

Thanks for that really relevant contribution.

Wow. I'm a stress/bored and emotional overeater and so yes, I have issues controlling myself but I never thought of myself as an idiotic sheep.

And yet, with little steps and learning not to label foods bad or demonize them, I'm able to have what you call "rubbish" now and again in moderation.

Willpower is like training for a run or lifting. The more you "exercise it", the more you get and the better you have at using it.

sry i would have italicized it if i could, i'm not calling people that as my own opinion. Its just the rude, smug comments in threads like this that absolutely do my head in. Some people seem to forget so easily what the start of their weightloss journey was like.
    [/quote]

I guess JSF then.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Lol, if people really want something, regardless of cost, they'll pay for it. Tobacco keeps getting taxed more and more, and people are still purchasing it.
    Over consumption is the issue. Always was and always will be.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • tilmoph
    tilmoph Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm all for accurate labeling; free will is best exercised with complete information. But that's as much as I'm willing to tolerate. I am a fully grown adult. I can make my own choices. I can read all by myself. I can decide what I do and do not care about, and to what extent. I do not need the damn government trying to make better choices for me, and with the exception of the deeply mentally unwell (and even then, they should have family and doctors handling things they can't, with the government just making sure they're not being exploited), neither does anyone else.

Some people may need financial help to buy less calorie dense food; I have no problem with food stamps being tied specifically to more balanced foods, and I have no problem paying taxes to support such a program. But if I'm buying my own food, with my own money, I expect the government to mind its own business.

I know what I'm buying; I can read. Stop pretending I can't.
  • anemoneprose
    Options
    . I do not need the damn government trying to make better choices for me, and with the exception of the deeply mentally unwell (and even then, they should have family and doctors handling things they can't, with the government just making sure they're not being exploited), neither does anyone else.

What do you think of the argument that your fellow citizens (or insurance-payers, idk where you live but w/e) maybe *do* mind paying for the consequences of (hypothetically) your bad choices? Maybe *they* need the government to make better choices for you, irrespective of your literacy.

Also, why is it ok for poor people to have choices made for them, but not others?
  • anemoneprose
    Options

I think there's more than a pinch of sugar in the grocery store versions.

Heinz sauce ingredients: "Concentrated Tomatoes (Contains 174g Tomatoes per 100mL), Sugar, Salt, Food Acids (Acetic Acid, Citric Acid), Natural Flavours (Contain Garlic). Contains 78% Concentrated Tomatoes."

so what I'm getting from that is that 22% of that sauce is not actually tomatoes. Ingredients have to be listed in quantity order, and anything under 2% doesn't have to be listed at all.

Yup. There's 2 1/2 teaspoons of it in *one cup*.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    There should be a logic question that must be answered before every forum post.

This is brilliant. I think it'd cut down on the forum traffic by at least 50% though.

I think you vastly overestimate the intelligence of the general population.

You're only saying that because of your marijuana addiction. Coupled with your sugar intake, it's just a recipe for crankiness.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Well banning or controlling actual sugar is a dumb idea, it'd work as well as other idea's govt's have had. Saying that it means they'll probably try it lol

Now creating a proper guideline for foods and forcing companies to use it, or levy a tax if they don't (and we know govt's love taxing) so consumers know what they are buying and whats in it. My local tesco's has barcode scanner you can take with you to add up total faster for till I think. That'd be better used for getting the info of the item rather than making faster pricing for the cashier.

There's an app for that.