Should sugar be controlled like tobacco and alcohol

Options

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Tobacco taxes in Canada

British Columbai which will receive $44.60 per carton in taxes with the new increase, to eventually tax cigarettes as heavily as leaders Northwest Territories and Manitoba, which both receive more than $56 per carton. Quebec and Ontario, the provinces that tax cigarettes the least, both raise less than $30 per carton in taxes. In Ontario, a pack can cost as little as $6.50.

“I appreciate that it is hard for smokers to quit,” Seely said. “But there is now a year-old B.C. smoking cessation program that provides smokers with the 1-888-QUIT line, (through) which they can receive counselling and subsidized nicotine replacement therapies.

tumblr_m8k7pplE0K1rdw4pko1_400.gif
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!
  • StephLourenco
    Options
    :frown:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I think legitimate questions shouldn’t be made fun of. Aren’t we all here for support??

No question is a dumb question.

Less judgment, more support people.

Sorry where was question in this post? It was a statement that sugar should be me controlled by the government and an article to attempt to support that.
  • StephLourenco
    Options
    Some people were being mean.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

I think legitimate questions shouldn’t be made fun of. Aren’t we all here for support??

You're obviously new and not familiar with Minnie's crusade against sugar. :smile:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

what a shock, you don't understand evolution either.

eta: "survival of the fittest" is something that is greatly misunderstood. It means that the fittest of en entire population, not just the ones at the peak. A better way to say it is "survival of the minimally fit". I mean, look around you. Clearly not only the strongest/smartest are REPRODUCING. You just have to be able TO REPRODUCE

fify
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Yes. It should be carefully controlled and distributed.

I volunteer for that position. All the sugar should be under my control!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Some people were being mean.

:huh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

You're obviously new and not familiar with Minnie's crusade against sugar. :smile:

or her crusades against logic and basic science.

And no, I do not have to support bullsh*t.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I think stupidity should be a controlled substance. Like if you have an IQ below X it's gently less conveinent to leave your home and communicate with the outside world.

That is so true
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    *speechless*
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Tobacco taxes in Canada

British Columbai which will receive $44.60 per carton in taxes with the new increase, to eventually tax cigarettes as heavily as leaders Northwest Territories and Manitoba, which both receive more than $56 per carton. Quebec and Ontario, the provinces that tax cigarettes the least, both raise less than $30 per carton in taxes. In Ontario, a pack can cost as little as $6.50.

“I appreciate that it is hard for smokers to quit,” Seely said. “But there is now a year-old B.C. smoking cessation program that provides smokers with the 1-888-QUIT line, (through) which they can receive counselling and subsidized nicotine replacement therapies.

do you post anything that isn't a cut and paste from another site?
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Totally accurate, BUT NOT VERY NICE!
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options

Yep, she spouts all kinds of crazy crap that people, (especially new to diet, exercise, getting healthy, etc) should never be exposed to!
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    No, just no, and while we're at it, the government shouldn't be in the business of controlling peoples choices. So long as your choices don't adversely, and directly affect another individual, the government should have NO say in what you do. If you want to freebase opium, I say go nuts.

Rigger

The thing is, you don't live on some tiny little island by yourself. If you eat too much sugar, and end up immobile, odds are you;'re gonna go on medicare or Medicaid. The rest of us pay for that. If you smoke opium, fall asleep driving, and crash into a schoolbus, the rest of us could lose our kids.
    '
    I agree the original article is absurd, and regulating sugar isn't the answer. But I think the libertarian "my body my business" argument needs to acknowledge that there is a point where your choices affect the rest of us.

I suppose then the only sure fire answer is to lock everyone in a cage by themselves. Why should others be responsible for my healthcare? I'm also pretty sure that accidents still happen even when people are not intoxicated. I have been in half a dozen or so accidents, none of them my fault, and in none was someone under the influence of anything, so that argument is moot. The point where my choices affect someone else is very narrow (if I kill or injure someone, if I steal someone's property, or if I damage their property) that's it, outside of that, government should literally do nothing with regard to my life.

Rigger
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    In America, first you get the sugar, then you get the power, then you get the women!

Why'd you have to go and post my foolproof plan?
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    The problem is over population, which is leading to an exponentially larger number of stupid people in the world who use zero common sense and don't take any accountability for what they do/consume. The obesity pandemic is just evolution at work. Somehow I managed to get un-obese with sugar being a readily available and uncontrolled substance.

I put down the 32 oz big gulps and started getting my nutrition and fitness on...it was pretty easy and mostly a lot of common sense changes that did it for me.

Survival of the fittest, the clean eaters will survive and the obese will fall away.

so let me see... either you eat "clean" or you are obese. there is no middle ground?

It's true! Look at me. I never eat clean, and I am obese. My BMI told me so.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    I'm rarely for more government intervention in people's lives, but I would say that controlling the number of calories a person is allowed to consume a day will be far more effective.

ooo..I know...we can put a chip in everyone's head and if you eat more than your alloted calories, it blows up. Anything short of that is meaningless.

how about the government just rations food. let's let some nameless, faceless bureaucrat decide how many calories each specific family is allowed. hopefully, if you don't piss anyone off and aren't labeled an enemy of the state, they'll give you just enough to survive. and those hours spent waiting in lines for the food will help you conserve your energy. i mean, this worked so well in the USSR, i'm sure it could work here...

Shhh. Nobody remembers the Soviets anymore.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    Options
    No ™

Trademarks remain property of Crankstr, Inc, and are used only to directly describe the products being provided. Their use in no way indicates any relationship between the poster, and Crankstr, Inc.

May God rest her soul.