How did you gain the weight?

Options

Replies

• siegte16v
    siegte16v Posts: 139
    Options
    We'll my problem is that I like the bad stuff..pizzas currys chips big roast dinners n lager you name it i like it!!
    my portion sizes are huge!! I'm trying to cut down but it's hard..I'm 6ft and I've just hit 15st and I'm mortified...I seem to bloat up and down in my clothes and I've had enough,my shape that I had has gone!!
    My job is not a physical one so I've got to do something drastic my friends and wife say that I carry it we'll, and don't look over weight but I carnt carry on putting weight on like this..so here I am ! any help off anyone will be greatly appreciated .

Cheers big sie
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I ate too much of everything and it just crept up on me...
  • mumblemagic
    mumblemagic Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Two things:
    1. I hurt my knee so had to stop excercising, but mainly
    2. I was stress eating through writing up my PhD, eating loads of chocolate!

The rest of my diet was probably farily balanced, but maybe the portion sizes were too large.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    2 back-to-back car accidents = depression and weight gain, then add a bad marriage....
  • simplycorey
    simplycorey Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    My past gains have been due to one or more of these factors: pregnancies, birth control, being comfortable in a relationship, and stress.
  • CandyJ1972
    Options
    I was lazy and I stuffed my face!
  • Kabiti
    Kabiti Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Too much food!

I blame swimming and college. I went from swimming every day, 1-3 miles, and stuffing my face with carbs... to a summer internship desk job after high school and then to college. My eating habits never changed (though probably increased and got worse over time), but my exercise went down to nothing.

Now I've changed my eating to match my activity level... and I'm probably eating half of what I used to... and eating about 100 times better quality than what I used to. It's funny. I will still go to McD's and Wendy's fairly often. I used to get a jr. bacon double at wendy's, large sized (with unsweetened tea). Now I get a salad, half dressing, and an unsweetened tea... it's a world of difference.
  • mwal74
    mwal74 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I've been married for 21 years. During that 21 years, I gave birth to and raised two incredible human beings with my husband. I managed staying in relatively good shape/health until about 13 years ago. Then I started gaining a pound here, pound there... eventually it was 50 pounds. Now it's time to reclaim my life :smile:
  • Kirstyw871
    Kirstyw871 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Combination of having a child, quitting smoking and going on the pill injection.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Moving to California and suddenly having a great life and great friends and never had to handle the 'every people,gathering is a FOOD gathering' thing before, plus I grew a tumor. = a gain of 15-20# in 5 years.

I am within 5# of my previous weight!mbut my body is in better shape (lifting heavy)
  • shanta4170
    Options
    Had kids and just kept eating way too much.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    The first 30lb I gained when I swapped careers from bricklaying and moved into an office without strenuous workouts every day at work it was bound to happen without a serious change in diet or other form of exercise. Then I sat on the couch and laid in bed for a few years taking drugs getting no exercise and gained another 90lb, OK it was a serious illness 3 major surgeries and legal drugs steroids etc but same result 308lb.

Then I decided to take control, now under 16st and getting back to fitness.
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Was abused as a kid and bullied, starved myself and lost the weight but was still called fat so I ate food to burry my emotions and just wanted to be invincible but still got noticed and asked when is the baby due when I was not pregnant and was still being told by store clerks that they did not sell things in my size when I did not even ask them in the first place lol and went up to 220lbs at my heaviest. Bought the doctor Phil book on weight loss and the other doc Phil book on counting calories, dealt with my emotional issues and forgave the people that bullied me and abused me and that weight came off and has stayed off for about 9 or 10 years. Now I am just working on building some muscle and tightening things up a bit.
  • mielikkibz
    mielikkibz Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    birth control (I was 120/125 all thru high school, wasn't until i got on BC at 19 that I started gaining, then a desk job, and a less thatn supportive ex(Why should _I_ suffer just because you're fat was his response when i stopped buying junkfood. . .and no, he wasn't skinny either)
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I got way too lazy and ate way too much!
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I gained way too much weight during my pregnancy. It didn't help that I had very low blood pressure and the medical staff would just tell me to eat more so that my blood pressure could go up. It was a struggle to get to 90/50 some days. I gained somewhere around 70 lbs. during my pregnancy. I was horrified and miserable. I quickly lost 25 lbs. and then managed another 20 on my own, but then I got stuck for 4 years. It wasn't until last year I was able to lose another 25 lbs. to where I am now.
  • albionjen
    albionjen Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Short answer: eating too much, doing virtually no exercise, little clue about healthy lifestyle!

Long answer:

I've be overweight since about age 9. Looking back I realise I never really knew until recently how to put together a good balanced diet. I put on a weight as a kid through having unhealthy snacks like crisps and cake and always having a second portion at dinner. I don't blame them at all, but my parents never made any attempt to control my weight so although I knew I was overweight I did not think it was a big deal and never tried to control my diet. (I was still reasonably fit I think). Once I left home I put on a load of weight at University partly because I had to eat at the cafeteria and I had a load of snacks (like cookies) as a substitute for meals when I didn't like the options. When I didn't eat at my halls I was eating out and drinking too much alcohol.

By the time I started my masters course I was obese and during that year I decided to take control. But unfortunately I still did not really know what I should do to get healthy. I thought going to the gym was only for vain people and refused to go to the free uni gym (idiot!). I started cycling to my classes but my only change to my diet was replacing my evening meal with something lighter (e.g. soup). I lost a load of weight over one term at a rate of almost 2kg (4lbs) per week. I thought at the time I was doing great but now know this quick weight loss isn't really healthy :) Once I started work I couldn't cycle my commute, which stopped me doing any exercise. I also started making excuses to eat more as well, e.g. "I didn't have any breakfast so it's OK to have a sandwich and muffin for lunch" "75g of pasta is a tiny portion, I need more than that". Back then, I basically had no proper plan on how to maintain a healthy weight and just thought it would magically stay off without any effort from me. Unsurprisingly the weight gradually came back on plus another 8kg or so.

This time round I actually did some research and know 0.5kg per week is a healthy rate of weight loss, not 2kg per week. I faced up to the fact that exercise is good for you and it is not vain to work out at the gym and do strength training. I also finally realised that controlling your weight is about health not just appearance. I want to be able to be active and free from chronic disease for a long time to come, and that was not going to happen unless I make changes and stick with them :) Here's hoping I've got it cracked this time!
  • upscalelifedownscalebutt
    Options
    My husband and his need for me to eat similar portion sizes to him. 5 years, way too many pounds, and I was fat and stress eating when we first met. It's a constant battle to convince him that I am fine, and actually way happier, eating about a fifth of what he eats, but it is a battle I am willing to fight.

I also had a baby, and was on 2 rounds of medication that made me gain weight, but I netted only a pound or two with my son (I had gestational diabetes so I didn't really have the opportunity to gain much weight), and lost most of the medication weight quickly so I don't really count them.
  • yaseyuku
    yaseyuku Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    Alcohol and quite a lot of it.
  • ScouseNerd
    ScouseNerd Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Not sure actually. Guess it's just time. You go out for a weekend and stuff yourself silly until Monday and then do it again a few more times. Just adds up!
This discussion has been closed.