800 Calorie a Day - Suggestions

Options

Replies

• TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    I read your post correctly. The biggest problem with any diet is adherence. Why, other than personal opinion, do you say VLCD is absurd for an overweight person?

I added an edit, I apologize for the incorrect assumption. I am not sure why I have to provide anything other than personal opinion... after all, that is what you are providing based on studies you have read. :-) My thought is that unless the overweight person has health concerns associated with their weight (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) a VLCD is far too extreme. Also, if someone has, for the sake of OP's example, less than 40 lbs to lose, this can be done at a slow, sustainable pace in a reasonable amount of time. If they do not have health concerns that would benefit from a faster rate of loss, what is the reason for doing it quickly and at a very large deficit?

eta:

What sides effects do you feel make it unacceptable?

Fatigue and weakness alone are enough reason for me to believe that a VLCD is NOT necessary for someone only moderately overweight with no health concerns associated with their weight.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Depends on how heavy you are, the 800 calorie a day sounds reasonable, not recommended, but reasonable. Again all depends on how heavy you are.

Go with egg whites as it's 15-17 calories per egg white. There's frozen Steel Cut Oatmeal that's only 120 calories. Switch it up a bit. Just avoid the carbs later in the evening and go with veggies.

Like everyone else is saying, ask another doctor to see if he/she recommends something else and do research online.
  • branbury
    branbury Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    VLCDs (Very Low Calorie Diets) are not unprecedented. The key to cutting your appetite so that you can adhere to a VLCD, is to eat some protein at each meal. One of my favorite meals is a microwaved corn tortilla (microwaving for 1 min 35 sec makes it crunchy without frying it in fat), a slice of American cheese on top of the tortilla, and then topped with an egg (fried on a pan with a light coating of spray oil). It's just under 300 calories, has 20 grams of calcium, and has a nice balance of protein and carbs and fat. That balance keeps my insulin level and cuts 90% of my sugar cravings. Good luck!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    yeah after the last few posts.... I'm out. this is getting too disconcerting.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I read your post correctly. The biggest problem with any diet is adherence. Why, other than personal opinion, do you say VLCD is absurd for an overweight person?

I added an edit, I apologize for the incorrect assumption. I am not sure why I have to provide anything other than personal opinion... after all, that is what you are providing based on studies you have read. :-) My thought is that unless the overweight person has health concerns associated with their weight (high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.) a VLCD is far too extreme. Also, if someone has, for the sake of OP's example, less than 40 lbs to lose, this can be done at a slow, sustainable pace in a reasonable amount of time. If they do not have health concerns that would benefit from a faster rate of loss, what is the reason for doing it quickly and at a very large deficit?

eta:

What sides effects do you feel make it unacceptable?

Fatigue and weakness alone are enough reason for me to believe that a VLCD is NOT necessary for someone only moderately overweight with no health concerns associated with their weight.

I actually did not give my personal opinion. I stated that there is a push by some physicians to use weight loss surgery earlier (before obesity).

One doesn't have to experience fatigue or weakness on VLCD and you couldn't possibly know what is necessary for everyone.
  • TuDominicano
    TuDominicano Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    He is 100% on this.
    If a doctor gave you an 800 calorie a day limit, and didn't give you specific counseling on exactly what foods to eat or short-term followup, then ignore everything he has told you and find a new doctor immediately.
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    After I had some surgery earlier this year on my stomach I really couldn't eat too many foods that wouldn't upset it or cause pain and found I was eating less than 1000 cal. per day, somewhere around 800-900. During that time, my nutritionist had me eat alot of protein, at least 70 grams per day. So I ate eggs, tuna, poached chicken, light mayo, cottage cheese, greek yogurt, canned fruit and apple sauce, pudding, natural peanut butter and cooked veggies like sweet potato and carrots. It still makes up most of my diet and I eat 1200 calories/day. The hardest things for me to give up were chocolate, pasta sauce and caffeine.
  • thesophierose
    thesophierose Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but what kind of doctor is this? -.-
  • gloria470
    Options
    Eat grilled chicken breast, and rice and drink a glass of milk, and a piece of fruit. A bowl of cereal in morning. 3 slices of ham at night.
  • DeniseCole5
    DeniseCole5 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    8oo calories seems way to low, I would suggest going back to your Doctor and ask to be referred to a dietician.
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I just to throw it out that not all nutritionists know what they're talking about either. The one I saw when I had gestational diabetes said I was guaranteed to have GD with any other pregnancies and that I would for sure get type 2 diabetes. She also said I really shouldn't eat much, if any fruit, limited the vegetables I could eat, and told me to use artificial sweeteners. Everything she said was completely unnecessary and untrue. I didn't have GD with my two pregnancies after that and my sugar levels are great. Thankfully, I had enough sense to know better.

Yup, doctors know little about nutrition, and most nutritionists aren't much better. Their education is influenced by big food and pharma, it's been that way for many years. The best thing by far, is seeing an expert that specializes in metabolism. Those people know that naturals fats are healthy and that sugar should be limited (for metabolic disorders such as excess fat!) and that eating too little is a fail.

Unlike internet users who know everything about nutrition.

I like you.

A lot.
  • NerdyTXChick
    NerdyTXChick Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out a website devoted to VLCD, as this one doesn't support them, but here are a few suggestions:

Egg beaters with fat free cheese and real bacon bits
    Salads with vinegar and spices instead of dressing
    Protein shakes
    Soups made with veggies and chicken, can be made creamy with fat free cream cheese
    Fat free cottage cheese with berries OR defatted peanut flour and Splenda
    Fat free Greek yogurt and frozen berries with Splenda
    lunch meat wrapped around a cheese stick, wrapped in spinach or lettuce

Hope this helps!

VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!! :mad:

ETA: Op~you need a new doctor!!

Yes. The worst advice. Fat IS a necessary macro. Obviously all the low fat bs and everyone switching to canola and soy when they do eat fat has NOT helped the obesity/disease epidemic.

A bunch of processed fat free food is not food imo. Reduced fat means increased sugar. High sugar diets are not good for anyone who needs to lose weight, or who has any other metabolic disorder - which are all too common these days.

I meant this as low calorie meal options, I wasn't saying to only eat these things. I was going with the assumption that any doctor who puts someone on a low calorie diet will let a person know what food is necessary (including healthy fat), and that the OP was looking for meal ideas rather than having an entire day planned. Of course you need some fat, but by limiting it in some meals, you can fit more protein and nutrients in while staying within your calorie limitations.
  • BoomstickChick
    BoomstickChick Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how someone can eat 800 calories and have energy and feel good. Not to mention only eat 800, that's insane to me. Just not enough, regardless of starvation mode or what my doc said.
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    You may want to find a new doctor!

This!

Your doc sounds like a:

quack_zps0b65604e.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've lost 31 pounds now. Not 31 pounds, some of which was muscle, but 31 pounds of fat. My goal while cutting has been over 2000 calories, and as high as 3000.

If my choice was to eat 800 calories a day or just stay fat, that would be a pretty easy choice to stay fat. But fortunately those are not the only options.

My recommendation is to junkpunch your doctor and do something that is healthy instead.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Cereals are always a good way to go, i eat special k, 2 bowls a day, means i can have a bigger lunch because of the other calories.
    Cherry tomatoes and cucumber are a really low calorie snack, i can pretty much eat as much as i like.
    Winter or not, there's only 40ish calories in ice lollies, a nice bit of flavour to add to your day :)
    BAD IDEA!
    If you are down to this low - WHICH I THINK IS A TERRIBLE IDEA AND YOUR DOCTOR IS A MORON - you must concentrate on what will keep you alive- which is LEAN PROTEIN, DENSE CARBS (not cereal) and GOOD FATS. Please see a nutritionist if you are going to follow this idiots advice. and I mean GOOD NUTRITIONIST!
  • laele75
    laele75 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    My strongest recommendation is that you see a different doctor to get a second opinion.

This.

Doctors do not know everything, especially general practitioners when it comes to nutrition. If something your doctor says sounds hinky, it very likely is. Get a second opinion, or barring that, ask the nurse her (or his) opinion. In my long and varied experience with healthcare professionals, nurses spend more time in the trenches and have more practical experience. Doctors just spent more time in school. That doesn't make them experts in anything but medicine.

Also, having worked in hospital staff food service, I can assure you most doctors eat horribly and should not be giving nutrition advice. Ever.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I questioned him as well - about the STARVATION MODE, and he disagrees with it. He says as long as you are eating throughout the day, your body will burn.

Well he's right about that. If you stay at 800 calories for an extended period of time, you will lose crap-tons of weight. But going an extended period of time on that low of an input is going to be very, very tough.

Good luck!
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    You may want to check out a website devoted to VLCD, as this one doesn't support them, but here are a few suggestions:

Egg beaters with fat free cheese and real bacon bits
    Salads with vinegar and spices instead of dressing
    Protein shakes
    Soups made with veggies and chicken, can be made creamy with fat free cream cheese
    Fat free cottage cheese with berries OR defatted peanut flour and Splenda
    Fat free Greek yogurt and frozen berries with Splenda
    lunch meat wrapped around a cheese stick, wrapped in spinach or lettuce

Hope this helps!

VERY BAD ADVICE!!!!!! :mad:

ETA: Op~you need a new doctor!!

Yes. The worst advice. Fat IS a necessary macro. Obviously all the low fat bs and everyone switching to canola and soy when they do eat fat has NOT helped the obesity/disease epidemic.

A bunch of processed fat free food is not food imo. Reduced fat means increased sugar. High sugar diets are not good for anyone who needs to lose weight, or who has any other metabolic disorder - which are all too common these days.

I meant this as low calorie meal options, I wasn't saying to only eat these things. I was going with the assumption that any doctor who puts someone on a low calorie diet will let a person know what food is necessary (including healthy fat), and that the OP was looking for meal ideas rather than having an entire day planned. Of course you need some fat, but by limiting it in some meals, you can fit more protein and nutrients in while staying within your calorie limitations.

Even if THAT menu were good for me, I would NOT be able to live on it long. Who wants to be skinny if that is all you can eat.
This discussion has been closed.