looking for some SOUP ideas..

Options

Replies

• flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    The recipe is never the same twice in my kitchen, but this was brewed in my kitchen yesterday ;-)

Veggie Chili (ingredients in order of use and cooking time)

Red Onion - Raw, 165 g
    Garlic (1 Clove, Raw), 3 clove (3g)
    Oil - Olive, 2 tablespoon
    Curcuma, 1Teasp
    Chilispicemix 2 Teasp.
    Red Chili - Raw, 4 g
    Sautee

Then add and sautee a bit
    Carrots 290g
    Fennel 370g
    Green beans fresh or frozen 500g

Then add
    Paprika 1 red and 1 yellow, 330 g
    Squash - Zucchini, includes skin, raw, 190 g
    Canned, chopped tomatoes, 800 g
    Vitam - Yeast Paste Bouillon, 30 g
    Tomato Paste, 100% Natural, 45 g
    Water 1-1/2 inch below veggies

When cooking is almost finished add canned beans
    Borlotti beans, 250 g
    Red Kidney Beans 205 g

Fresh - Coriander, 3 tbsp

Total calories: 1750
    Per Serving: 220 (8 servings of about 480g)

Recipe found in the Fast Diet Recipe Book, but adapted because I don't like mushrooms and I made it more colorful.

You can put in pretty much all veggies and just weigh and count what goes in there. My recipe varies a bit, each time I make it ;-) Just depends, what's in the house. It's a lovely fast menu or with a naan or pita bread a low cal everyday menu.

If you use dried beans, soak them overnight first and put them in earlier according to there cooking time.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    bumping for later. i may have a few to add
  • Vickster36
    Vickster36 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi my friend gave me this recipe

I weighted everything out and calculated the calories there were 767 in the full pan

6 courgettes
    4 large potatoes
    2 large onions
    Tin of sweet corn
    4 vegetable stock cubes
    Pepper

Put everything in a large pan bring to the boil
    Leave to simmer until onions are soft about 30 mins
    Blend and enjoy :flowerforyou:

I have just made it again today but put sweet potatoes in and it's just as nice

Please feel free to add me
    Vicky
  • kbeardmore22
    kbeardmore22 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    bump for great ideas
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I made this as my first pot of soup of the fall the other night (even if it's not quite fall yet):

1 yellow onion, chopped
    2 cups of sliced carrots
    2 boxes of fat free reduced sodium chicken broth
    1 15 oz. can of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
    dried oregano, to taste
    pepper, to taste
    a pack of Italian sausage (5 links), crumbled and cooked in a separate pan and drained well
    1 bag of tri-color cheese tortellini
    1 bag of baby spinach, chopped

Combine the first 6 ingredients and let simmer. Meanwhile, cook and drain the sausage, then add that to the soup pot. When it comes to a gentle boil, add the tortellini and cook 5-7 minutes. Add the spinach and turn off the heat, giving the spinach a few minutes to wilt.

It made 6 large servings that worked out to 385 calories apiece. To reduce the calories, you could cut back on the amount of tortellini or use turkey sausage.

I'm gonna make this one tonight. I can't wait to try it. I will be sure to come back and let you know how it goes.
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    my fave is frying up bacon and onion in a wee bit of butter, adding some stock (enough to cover the pumpkin barely), bringing to the boil, scooping out the bacon and onion, adding small chunks of pumpkin, cooking the pumkin until it falls apart, blitzing it together, adding back in the bacon and onion and finishing off with a lil parmesan or cream cheese.

can eat this by the bucketload in winter
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    This is one of our favorites. We're actually having it tonight:

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/turkey-sausage-kale-and-white-bean-soup.html
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    I add a can each of green beans & any other canned beans in the pantry,drained & rinsed.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/hearty-hamburger-soup/
  • sizzle74
    sizzle74 Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Bump for soup :)
  • ericarfloyd
    ericarfloyd Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hungry Girl's The Whole Enchilada Chicken Soup is tasty! The only thing that I changed was that I added beans to make it a little more filling! I have tried several bean combinations and pinto with butter beans has been my favorite so far! It calls for a can of pumpkin, which you cannot taste, and I'm guessing you cannot taste it because of the enchilada sauce that goes in it too! Easy and tasty! I make it to take for lunch all week.

Here's the link: http://www.hungry-girl.com/newsletters/raw/1428
  • kelbelzz
    kelbelzz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    everything sounds amazing
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    A couple of my soup recipes:

Autumn Minestrone (148 calories without the olive bread croutons)

autumnminestrone3.jpg

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 yellow onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, diced
    1 cup carrots, chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    4 cups stock
    1 28oz carton chopped tomatoes (or 2 14oz cans)
    1 can cannelini beans, rinsed and drained
    1/4 teaspoon salt (adjust depending on the sodium content of your stock and tomatoes)
    1 sprig of rosemary, stem removed and leaves minced
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1/2 cup small, dry pasta (I used cavatelli)
    2 cups kale, chopped (or other green of choice)
    1/4 cup parsley, chopped

Instructions

In a deep soup pan heat olive oil on medium high heat. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook until onions are slightly translucent – about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 2-3 minutes.
    Add stock, tomatoes, and all of your seasonings. Bring soup just to boiling, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
    Add pasta and kale, cooking for another 10-12 minutes (or however long your pasta needs to cook based on package instructions).
    Just before serving stir in fresh parsley.

Quick notes

Optional olive bread crouton topping: Cut olive bread into 1 inch pieces and toss with a small amount of olive oil to coat. Spread onto a nonstick baking sheet and put into a 400F oven for about 15 minutes or until the croutons are dry and crunchy.

Vegan "Beef" Stew w/ Stout (392 calories)

Note: You could certainly use real beef if you prefer, or omit the protein entirely and have a veggie stew.

veganstew1_md.jpg

Ingredients

1/2 cup pearl onions, peeled
    7-8 garlic cloves, sliced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 teaspoon sugar
    1 teaspoon Bragg’s Liquid Aminos (soy sauce or tamari if you don’t have it)
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    1 container Trade Joe’s Beef-less Strips
    4oz shiitake mushrooms (stems removed and torn into bite-sized pieces)
    1 bottle Dark Truth Stout
    3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
    3 cups potatoes, cubed (I used a mix of yukon gold and purple potatoes)
    2 stalks celery, sliced
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
    2 teaspoons fresh black pepper
    1 bay leaf
    6 cups vegan stock (I used a combination of “Not-Beef” bouillon and a mushroom stock)
    2 tablespoons corn starch (dissolved in a small amount of water)

Instructions

In a large skillet heat your olive oil and add the pearl onions, garlic, sugar, and salt. Cover and allow to cook for 7-8 minutes. Deglaze the pan with a couple of tablespoons of the stout and let cook over medium heat while you prepare the next part.
    On a different burner fill a pot with your stock, remaining vegetables (non the shiitakes), tomato paste, rosemary, bay leaf, black pepper, and corn starch. Turn heat to medium high and allow to come to a simmer.
    The onions and garlic should be caramelizing pretty nicely at this point, so go ahead and add in your Bragg’s, the beef-less strips, and your mushrooms. If things are sticking to the bottom of the pan just deglaze again with a little more stout. Stir well and cover for 5-7 minutes.
    When your stew pot is boiling dump in everything from the skillet along with the remaining stout from the bottle. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for about 20 minutes. Uncover and simmer for another 20.

Rosemary Tomato Soup w/ Grilled Cheese Fries (only 79 calories per bowl, add another 191 for the grilled cheese "fries")

rosemarytomatosoup1.jpg

Ingredients

1 teaspoon olive oil
    1/2 yellow onion, diced
    1 cup grated carrots
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 sprig fresh rosemary
    1/8 teaspoon salt
    5 cups vegetable stock
    1 31.5 ounce can whole peeled tomatoes (I used San Marzano)
    1 bay leaf
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    Salt, to taste (use more or less depending on the sodium content of your stock – I didn’t need any extra salt for mine)
    1/4 cup heavy whipping cream

Instructions

Heat olive oil in soup pan on medium high heat. When hot add onions, carrots, garlic, rosemary, and the 1/8 teaspoon of salt. Let cook for several minutes until the onions are just slightly caramelized.
    Pour stock into the pan, making sure to stir well to get all of the caramelized bits off of the bottom. Add entire can of tomatoes, bay leaf, and additional seasonings. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for about 20 minutes.
    Remove bay leaf and rosemary sprig from the soup. It’s ok if any rosemary leaves fell off while cooking, as they will be blended in when you puree the soup. Turn off the heat.
    Using either an immersion blender or food processor, puree soup to desired consistency.
    Transfer back to pot stir in the heavy cream. Serve immediately.

And for the fries...

Ingredients

5 ounces shredded cheese (I used a blend of sharp white cheddar, colby-swiss, and mozzarella)
    6 slices of good bread
    2 tablespoons butter, melted

Instructions

Preheat a skillet on medium high heat and turn on your oven’s broiler.
    Brush each slice of bread with the melted butter on one side. I had a little extra butter leftover and just poured it into my soup pot – yum!
    Place your bread, butter-side down, onto your hot skillet. Put shredded cheese on top and allow it to get nice and seared on the bottom.
    Transfer the bread slices to your oven to brown the cheese. It happens pretty quickly so take care not to let it burn.
    Put cheese bread on cutting board and let cool a couple of minutes before slicing into sticks. Top with fresh black pepper.
  • FrankieBenjamin
    FrankieBenjamin Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    bump - moving back to a cold place - thanks all!
  • arcana7609
    arcana7609 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Please share I need some good and healthy ideas. Starting to get cool here.

This is my favorite soup I have altered it from the way my mom makes it because she uses canned veggies.

I pressure cook a roast. (you can leave out meat if you don't want)
    I pressure cook dried beans I buy the ones that say 15 bean soup
    I then pressure cook my potatoes and baby carrots
    I add these all together with some V-8 juice or other type of veggie juice
    I then throw the following into a boiling pot for a little bit and then add them into my simmering soup
    Cabbage
    Cauliflower
    fresh Snap Peas
    fresh Green Beans
    fresh Mushrooms and mushrooms and more mushrooms and did i mention mushrooms?

once all of these veggies are cooked tender I then add a whole bag of fresh spinach

only use fresh veggies. I don't add salt or spices since the v-8 juice has sodium and my crackers have salt

(eat with club crackers to make it awesome)

My mom adds corn, but I don't

This will make enough soup to share with friends and family
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I really love lentil soups, or pureed butternut squash soup, or a "throw the contents of the fridge in a pot" soup.
  • laceyfowler
    laceyfowler Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    BUMP for the awesome recipe ideas! Kudos to you, OP, for a great post - I looooove soup :-)
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of resources :: Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker, and Forks Over Knives.