Why all the negativity???Where is the Motivation?

Options

Replies

• whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    I've only really been reading the forums for a few weeks. I think the post-count should be removed from people's posts, I see way too much judgement based on post-count alone. Some people wear it as a badge of honour, and like to disregard others who've just joined, or just started posting. Because you know, this forum is the only place in the whole internet to talk about weightloss *rolls eyes* More often than not, if I see a particularly nasty comment, its from someone with 5000+ posts, who feels entitled to speak in such a way because they've heard it all before.

Also I am already sick of the hilarious 'jokes' everyone likes to repeat. Dihydrogen monoxide is poison LOL!!!!! I am so much smarter than everyone else, nobody realises what it even is LOL!

Cute, real cute.

See, you're one of those people who never actually contribute anything but enjoy complaining about other people's posts all the time. Which sucks, because you're not an unintelligent gal. You'd prefer to sit back on your high horse judging other posters by saying they are on a high horse judging posters.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've only really been reading the forums for a few weeks. I think the post-count should be removed from people's posts, I see way too much judgement based on post-count alone. Some people wear it as a badge of honour, and like to disregard others who've just joined, or just started posting. Because you know, this forum is the only place in the whole internet to talk about weightloss *rolls eyes* More often than not, if I see a particularly nasty comment, its from someone with 5000+ posts, who feels entitled to speak in such a way because they've heard it all before.

Also I am already sick of the hilarious 'jokes' everyone likes to repeat. Dihydrogen monoxide is poison LOL!!!!! I am so much smarter than everyone else, nobody realises what it even is LOL!

Cute, real cute.

See, you're one of those people who never actually contribute anything but enjoy complaining about other people's posts all the time. Which sucks, because you're not an unintelligent gal. You'd prefer to sit back on your high horse judging other posters by saying they are on a high horse judging posters.

Sorry...

...but you have more than 12000 posts...

...so I am totally disregarding anything you say...

...because it's almost certainly mean AND nasty.
  • glennstoudt
    glennstoudt Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Sort of interesting.
    Seems to me that there is too much deference regarded to message board opinions, but maybe that is just me.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Cute, real cute.

Sorry...

Yeah, she completely ignores the dozens of people that I go out of my way to help each day. But yes, let's focus on the negative!
  • mmipanda
    mmipanda Posts: 351 Member
    Options

Cute, real cute.

I appreciate that it could seem that way, I'm probably ruining peoples fun by calling them out if I think they're being smug or nasty. But someone has to stick up for the n00bs. Maybe then, they'll be inclined to stick around long enough to learn some useful information and ditch the fad diets. If they post a thread asking a 'dumb' question and everyone trolls it, how is that helpful?

And I do post non-argumentative stuff. I'm just drawn to the drama like everyone else :ohwell:
  • mmipanda
    Options

Cute, real cute.

Sorry...

hooray for inflamatory exaggeration designed to get under my skin! Nice one!
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Where are the innocuous questions that noobs ask where they get savaged?

I always see someone rolling in stating a definitive Truth like 'chemicals are bad' without bound or definition. 'You have to eat clean!' meaningless, confusing and non-scientific malarkey that's just going to clutter up noobs' heads.

The whole 'fitness/diet/health' industry is built upon obfuscation. So yeah, when someone says chemicals are bad, Dihydrous Monoxide will come up.

When people ask bona fide questions or look for feedback or input, I never see savagery. Or at least I think I don't, I don't recall seeing that.

And I realize at this point that Panda is in the position of having like three different people debate her . . . so this isn't supposed to be an argument or challenge, but a perspective and a question - is this nastiness happening truly as described? and if so I want to go take a second look.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Cute, real cute.

I appreciate that it could seem that way, I'm probably ruining peoples fun by calling them out if I think they're being smug or nasty. But someone has to stick up for the n00bs. Maybe then, they'll be inclined to stick around long enough to learn some useful information and ditch the fad diets. If they post a thread asking a 'dumb' question and everyone trolls it, how is that helpful?

And I do post non-argumentative stuff. I'm just drawn to the drama like everyone else :ohwell:

You know, being told your idea is dumb is a good thing if it is a dumb idea.

At least, that is what I learned as a noob.

I got over myself, listened to what they had to say, stopped doing cleanses, stopped dieting, and got the best body of my life. I hope that in some of these posts, the lurkers see what the experienced people have to say and take it to heart. Also I hope they enjoy the cat gifs.

Or hey, discount them, call them mean, and enjoy the stupid juice cleanse or whatever.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Cute, real cute.

Sorry...

hooray for inflamatory exaggeration designed to get under my skin! Nice one!

Close, but not quite...

...it was "designed" for its potential humor...for others.

Underlying the humor is the nugget of truth in applying a point you made in your post...but that is the extent of your role in the joke.

A fundamental flaw in topics like this...

...in that it wasn't about you.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Where are the innocuous questions that noobs ask where they get savaged?

I always see someone rolling in stating a definitive Truth like 'chemicals are bad' without bound or definition. 'You have to eat clean!' meaningless, confusing and non-scientific malarkey that's just going to clutter up noobs' heads.

The whole 'fitness/diet/health' industry is built upon obfuscation. So yeah, when someone says chemicals are bad, Dihydrous Monoxide will come up.

When people ask bona fide questions or look for feedback or input, I never see savagery. Or at least I think I don't, I don't recall seeing that.

And I realize at this point that Panda is in the position of having like three different people debate her . . . so this isn't supposed to be an argument or challenge, but a perspective and a question - is this nastiness happening truly as described? and if so I want to go take a second look.

Completely agree. I have been around since June and I lurk...A LOT. I've seen all kinds of stuff on here, but what I don't often see (I'm not saying never) is total douchebaggery aimed at someone who is seriously asking for feedback, or who has made it clear that they have done some research, they're still confused, and they need some help. The snark comes when people make incredible blanket claims or when they ask if doing X fad diet is a good idea. When people are clearly regurgitating some bull that they just saw on Dr. Oz, you can bet your *kitten* that the snark will come fully loaded in that thread. I think that's good, and it's completely justifiable.
  • Shannonthompson73
    Shannonthompson73 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    OP- I started to read this thread and quit because I saw all of the usual people who feel they must say something sarcastic in order to be one of the cool kids coming out. It really is too bad so many posters are just posting for a reaction.
  • kordell70
    kordell70 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    While the majority of people who respond to questions are helpful, there is definitely a group who use this forum as a way to belittle others and who feel superior to others (either based on there weight loss accomplishments, knowledge of nutrition or body physiology). While many questions posed by newbies may seem ridiculous to some one needs to remember where they are coming from. Asking a question about a "fad" diet or new pill promoted by Dr Oz or whomever does not need to be met with asinine comments. Many of us, due to our weight issues, do wish for something which could aid in weight loss (whether it be an approved FDA weight loss pill, pill which may have proven useful in a clinical study, a specialized diet etc, or diet "system" - whether the system be set in stone or customizable like this MFP we are all using). The OP and many like her do not need to be shamed b/c they ask a question about a diet that many other think is ridiculous, they probably face enough shaming outside this site.

Also, for the claim that the noobs need to do research before asking questions. WHY? This is a discussion board. If you do not like the question then click on a new topic. People act like we are pulled into each topic thread and are forced to respond. In addition, they may have already looked up information and are looking for people who may have tried such and such and are looking for their "PERSONAL" opinions on the matter or "SUCCESS/FAILURE" at the diet. Wow, even in this thread a lot of pure bs is coming out.

My advice to you if you encounter someone you find treating you disrespectfully is to click on the drop down arrow next to their name and click "IGNORE." Your goal of personal betterment is too important to let people around you or on this board get you down. We get enough bs from the word around us it is a damn shame to get it on a site that is supposed to help empower people toward improvement.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Just in case you weren't aware of this feature, when you go to the message boards section, there is a button called search and you can type in a keyword/phrase (ex: rude/mean/butthurt) and you can see the threads that have already been created on the topic. Good luck! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/992167-some-of-you-are-just-plain-rude?hl=rude

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1033717-rant-why-is-everyone-so-mean?hl=mean+people&page=3#posts-15856061

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976527-when-people-offer-advice-stop-being-rude-and-degrading?hl=rude

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/920791-mfp-not-helping-or-showing-support-just-being-rude?hl=rude&page=15#posts-13981890

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/900646-being-rude-is-not-giving-support?hl=rude&page=3#posts-13625845

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/855369-seeing-a-lot-of-rude-comments-about-1200-cal?hl=rude#posts-12874305

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819763-rude-mean-people-on-here?hl=rude&page=16#posts-12297324

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/799446-rudeness-on-forums?hl=rude&page=2#posts-11939451

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774191-what-s-up-with-all-the-rude-sarcastic-people-here?hl=rude&page=4#posts-11507301

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819763-rude-mean-people-on-here?hl=mean+people

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1092526-bullies-meanies-and-police-oh-my?hl=bully

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/789026-mean-people?hl=mean+people&page=2#posts-11759423

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/883246-mean-people-waste-the-internet?hl=mean+people#posts-13325677

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1088600-dear-mean-people-of-mfp?hl=mean+people

bahahahahahahahaha this ..

really, another people are negative, mean, bullies thread...WOW!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've got a serious question. if you are thinking that an internet forum is not for you, then why post that you are thinking of staying away from the boards? Seems a bit dramatic and unnecessary, in my opinion.

Also, I recommend that if these forums are too much for you to handle that 1) it may be you needing to not focus so much on the supposed tone of said disagreement/post and 2) don't go on other forums, like for gaming. They make MFP look so tame.

And finally...disagreeing =/= negativity.

For anyone wondering why this particular 'mean person thread' was created:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1099829-learn-what-it-means-to-eat-clean?page=3

this was spawned from THAT thread? give me a break...the OP said that 5-6 meals a day will "rev up" metabolism and a bunch of other clean eating myths, which people corrected...

So when you correct the record you are mean/bully? Get over it....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    If you want support, then buy a bra.

If you want help, then hire a trainer.

If you want opinions, then definitely post in the forums.

and make sure you substitute your mashed potatoes with cauliflower....case closed.../
  • mmipanda
    Options

Cute, real cute.

I got over myself, listened to what they had to say, stopped doing cleanses, stopped dieting, and got the best body of my life. I hope that in some of these posts, the lurkers see what the experienced people have to say and take it to heart. Also I hope they enjoy the cat gifs.

Or hey, discount them, call them mean, and enjoy the stupid juice cleanse or whatever.

Theres a difference between saying 'x diet is dumb because y & z' and going 'haha u r wrong'
    The first is still blunt. But it also provides some information/justification.

Also re:your last part..... really? Did you even read what i said?
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I've got a serious question. if you are thinking that an internet forum is not for you, then why post that you are thinking of staying away from the boards? Seems a bit dramatic and unnecessary, in my opinion.

^^Agree with this.
  • fatfudgery
    fatfudgery Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I think the post-count should be removed from people's posts, I see way too much judgement based on post-count alone.

Two seconds later...
    More often than not, if I see a particularly nasty comment, its from someone with 5000+ posts, who feels entitled to speak in such a way because they've heard it all before.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Cute, real cute.

Theres a difference between saying 'x diet is dumb because y & z' and going 'haha u r wrong'
    The first is still blunt. But it also provides some information/justification.

Also re:your last part..... really? Did you even read what i said?

I have never seen someone say 'haha u r dumb' in response to a question. Your entire premise is a straw man argument. i'm not going to argue about things that don't actually happen.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    For every new person that gets upset because the diet they are trying gets criticised, there are umpteen others who read the advice given and act on it. That is why the people with high post counts carry on. Read the thread below as an example:-

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098625-thank-you-all

I'm personally very grateful that there are so many people who stick around after their own success to help others, and I see very few attacks on people asking genuine questions. To be honest when there are attacks its usually from people who have been here a few months only, not the ones with the longevity.

Oh and for the record offence can only be taken, not given
This discussion has been closed.