What is the nastiest piece of food you have ever chewed on?

Options

Replies

• JDMarlowe
    JDMarlowe Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Boiled okra..... my parents always said that I had to at least try a food as a kid and if I didn't like it, then I didn't have to eat it....well, I tried that and have never been near it since!!!
  • MyJourney1960
    MyJourney1960 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    * anchovies (II once bought a little jar and was going to mash them like the recipe said, i looked at it and it looks like a centipede ew).
    * tongue. i used to eat it, but then my brother (who wanted to have more for himself ) would sit there and stick out his tongue and i got so grossed out that haven't touched it since i was little.
    *Heart/brain/lungs of cow - 'nuff said.
    *Okra. slimey...
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    instant mashed potatoes *gag*
    spam *gag*
    celery *gag*

all three mixed together *gag gag gag*
  • sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    instant mashed potatoes *gag*
    spam *gag*
    celery *gag*

all three mixed together *gag gag gag*

I agree instant mashed potatoes :sick:
    But spam?! Oh I love fried spam sandwiches

I'm not a picky eater so I don't have a long list but I hate poptarts and frozen burritos :noway:
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    However, there have been a couple of things: seaweed salad at a grocery store deli (it was horrendous - have since tried it elsewhere and it was more...you know...meh)

I LOVE seaweed salad! I love gulab jamon and halvah, too.

DH will be happy to see that okra and brussels sprouts are on so many lists. He won't touch either. He doesn't like the texture of mushrooms, so if he gets any in a dish when we're out to eat, he gives them to me.
  • ironmaidenchick
    ironmaidenchick Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Tofu - yuck
    Sardines - Bleugh
    Black Jellybeans!
  • socrates02
    socrates02 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Stuffed grape leaves.

I agree I just eat that the other day and never again
  • GGDaddy
    GGDaddy Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite sure.

It was in Asia, and the meat just didn't quite chew right...
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    it's a drink, but, boza, a bittersweet/sour liquid made of fermented yeast and cereal.

Imagine you got some kind of bug and vomited until you got to bare yellow bile, then rinsed your mouth with water, like 4-5 times. The faint memory of sickly sweet that's left, that's what boza tastes like. The texture is like the stuff that came out on the first heave.
    You win the award for most descriptive post! Making us feel like we've had some too!! :drinker:
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    never tried sardines but my dad LOVES them and i cant stand the smell, avocado makes me gag, so do chicken wings, mayonnaise, beets, carrots, and pea soup. i could go on. im picky.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Candied ginger, blech.

I think you just won. :sick:

WHAT? I adore candied ginger and candied ginger spread.... I have it every single day. Total addiction, best thing ever!
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tuna casserole. My mom used to make it when I was as a kid with horrible canned peas that were nearly yellow and mushy. The whole thing was like lumpy beige slime. Blech. I think the whole experience gave me an aversion to the smell of canned tuna, but I love fresh tuna (raw, cooked, whatever).

I love every vegetable I can think of but when some of them are overcooked to mush - can't do it.

And oddly enough, I can understand hating the macaroni and cheese - most of the time that I've had it, it's good, but if the noodles are overcooked, that can be kind of disgusting too. Apparently I'm not a fan of things that are like a monochromatic bowl of slime. Haha.

Other than that, I actually love the majority of the things posted here - love stuffed grape leaves, love tripe, fried okra, seaweed salad, ginger (candied or not), squid... I don't really want to try balut or various other "Fear Factor" type foods, but other than that I'm not that picky, apparently.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Oh you guys, haggis is yummy! So is black pudding :tongue:

If you say so...:sick:

haggis_recipe_zps996673e9.jpg

That is just wrong. Ugh. It even looks like a heart. Wrong, wrong, wrong. :noway:
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything my mother cooked. Nobody should have let her near a kitchen. :tongue:
  • nena49659
    nena49659 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Liver!
  • tworthen79
    tworthen79 Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Calamari. The more I chewed the bigger it got. I kept thinking of little suckers, sucking my throat....gag!
  • Mitzki5
    Mitzki5 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid, a friend of mine rode our bikes out to the country to fish all night and camp. We did forget to take food with us. So we cut a couple of stick and cooked some of our fish bait (chicken livers) over the fire. It was extremely nasty. Have never forgot it.
  • floop1207
    floop1207 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    as a kid i was sometimes given things to eat like stuffed lambs hearts, liver, pigs feet and kidney......suffice to say i have been vegetarian for almost all of my adult life :sick:

apart from horrible meats, one thing that has made me heave is prune juice. the doc suggested it when i was pregnant and having a bit of 'trouble' but jeez, i couldn't drink the revolting stuff, even after trying to disguise it with other things.
  • DawnOBRN
    DawnOBRN Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    A protein smoothie made with beets :sick:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    King crab legs. I know, I know, what's wrong with me, right? It was like chewing on rubber dipped in sea salt. It took everything in me not to throw it up. Never again.