How do you distract yourself on the treadmill?

Options

Replies

• Mrsallypants
    Mrsallypants Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Steady state cardio on the treadmill is boring. You could try interval training.
  • AestheticStar
    AestheticStar Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Music, always. I always listen to music when I exercise. It keeps me going. Kind of takes my mind off the discomfort. And occasionally, I think about a few people that inspire me, & it keeps me motivated.
  • Alisontheice
    Alisontheice Posts: 9,624 Member
    Options
    Haven't been on a treadmill in ages but I used to read books, magazines, whatever. I like to read.

My husband has his set up so he can work on his computer while on his treadmill.
  • csand11
    csand11 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Zombies run app with an upbeat playlist. Also, every other workout I play with speed and incline every few minutes.
  • mssgeni
    mssgeni Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Just music... really loudly. When I'm jogging I can't focus on anything else other than the machine or else I feel like I'd fall off the machine or something. :x
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    You get off the treadmill & go run outside. Seriously if it's that boring on a treadmill then you are not doing it right. You are also less likely to stick to it.
  • leonelsanchez
    Options
    I listen to Pandora radio; it's very genre friendly and let's you skip songs; the only catch is that you have to listen to brief commercials every three songs. I estimate I listen to 6 to 8 songs per every 30 minute, three mile run that I do every day; lose nearly 400 calories in the process. I've doubled my running to an hour during the past two weeks to meet my goal of getting under 160. I got as low as 150 in 2008 and am currently 163. The highest I've ever been is 190. I'm athletic so the heavy weight did not bother me too much though I did not like to look at pictures of myself too much.
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    Run outside, there is always something different to look at :)
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Either listen to music (Pandora & just got Spotify) or watch movies/TV Series on the DVD player.
  • serenagirl33
    Options
    I listen to workout music on my phone.....
  • TamaraKat
    TamaraKat Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    At my gym; the treadmills are placed in a row behind the stationary bikes so, in good humor, I choose the treadmill which is behind someone who is on a bike and attempt to catch them.

Nevertheless... I have been unsuccessful in my attempts :frown: :frown:
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    i go outside.

I put the treadmill outside.
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    The girl in yoga pants on the ellipitical in front of me
  • BonnieandClyde29
    BonnieandClyde29 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Revenge is awesome!!!! lol

I either distract myself if I have my friend there to talk to, or listen to music, watch tv, read, or yell at myself ONE MORE!!!!
  • VoicelessRide
    VoicelessRide Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Get lost in your music..a good playlist...like rock,hip hop,upbeat

I break my runs in to smaller chunks....a 6 mile into 2 3 milers....a good mix of music also I have coaching tracks from Itunes as well as a cool "Zombies run" app i can use on the treadmill
  • VoicelessRide
    Options
    The girl in yoga pants on the ellipitical in front of me

That definitely keeps me going!
  • VoicelessRide
    Options
    At gym just watching other people work out motivates me
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I do mental math. I am not a math whiz so sometimes this keeps me occupied for longer than it should. :laugh:

I'll use the numbers on the display and go from there, so say if I walk 4 mph, how many miles would I walk in 22 minutes? Or...if the display says that I have burned XX calories after 6 minutes, where do I predict I would end up after half an hour?

That sort of thing. I'm weird, I guess.:laugh:
  • VoicelessRide
    Options
    Music and TV, and I do the random program on the treadmill which keeps me guessing at what size hills it will make me run up!

I have done that too! cool