Female users with 'mommy' or 'wifey' in name

Options

Replies

• SuperSexyDork
    SuperSexyDork Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    What is your feeling regarding mac & cheese in one's screen name?
    I think all my friends should have food in their names. :drinker:

Anyway...OP, how do you figure that adding mommy or wifey to your name indicates that you're not your own person? I'm a mom and a wife. Those are huge parts of my life. How is adding that to my name any different from people with their favorite food or activity in their name? Are they then defined by bacon?

I would very much like to be defined by bacon... and because there is none in my house currently, I'm feeling very down.
    You should remedy that situation immediately.

In other news, I'm considering changing my name to ThisWifeandMomlovesBacon. Too long?
    WifeMomBacon

Change your name to this!
  • VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I clearly have body image issues and believe that my breasts are my only redeeming quality and without them I'd be worthless to a man and therefore generally worthless. Once I overcome this I'll be sure to change my name to something less demeaning.

LOL

Anyway, to all the mamas, if (as OP suggested) your entire life is your children and became your entire person to the extent where you take great pride in announcing it on a forum ~ kudos to you!!! That's admirable! And to the husbands and wives who are so madly in love that they want to announce it on a forum ~ kudos to you!!!

Personally, I am obsessed with Nancy Sinatra's song...'cause I don't have any children or marriage.
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Those people should be banned. And have their cars repo'd.

What if I add bacon to the mac & cheese?
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I don't see anything wrong with it. Being a wife or mother is an honorable and important role.

Frankly your implied denigration of something so staggering important by suggesting that people are selling themselves short by identifying as one is sounds more sexist to me than someone picking a screen name with 'mom' in it.

It basically comes across as "Oh you're a Mom? meh, what ELSE are you? Come back when you can put Scientist in your screen name."

Stop telling people who are perfectly happy that they're oppressing themselves. It's obnoxious and misguided.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but it doesn't bother me :smile: The 0504 in my name is the day I got my first iPhone....I guess my iPhone defines me, which is pathetic, LOL
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options

Is it kosher?
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I think maybe people have no imaginations.

Cool username, is it your first name? How creative

Nickname from high school. Not my full name. But thanks for trying.

Attacking on people who disagree with you...you're the cutest!
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    I don't do it, but it doesn't bother me :smile: The 0504 in my name is the day I got my first iPhone....I guess my iPhone defines me, which is pathetic, LOL

Oh wow! We have a new winner for pathetic. Ow wow........like wow
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it is because they know their place.

Ohhhhh you had to go there didn't you?

To answer the OP's question I guess I never gave it a thought. There are some pretty unusual user names on here and I'll bet most of them have a story around the name, so if it includes marital or parental status {{shrugs}} who cares?
  • bethannien
    bethannien Posts: 556 Member
    Options

:love: :laugh:
    Funniest thing I've seen all day
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I'm with you on that one, but I'm afraid all the Jared'sMommy234's will swarm and get angry.

I think maybe people have no imaginations. I hate to think that they really do need to define themselves by men. I don't really have any on my FL, but not for that reason. I think a lot of those types don't particularly flock to a profile like mine. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of friends who are awesome moms and are super proud of their kids and post about them. And that's totally cool. But I think it's a bit reflective of the loveliness of patriarchy when people define their online selves by their kids/husbands.

But how is this any different from identifying themselves by food, sex, or television? If they enjoy those roles enough to identify with them, it could simply be a reflection of their enjoyment of those roles as opposed to a specific ideology. My name has squat to do with Catholicism, any feelings or beliefs about actual nuns, or even about the character in the book/movie I took it from.
  • Inner_Goddess
    Inner_Goddess Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    As a female user that's both a mom and a wife...My kids are THE MOST important things in my life and while I don't mind being referred to as their mom, that is NOT who I am and I don't want to be defined as as that in every aspect of my life.

As for being called "his" wife or Mrs.- GAG ME. It just pisses me off. I am a Ms. Unless you know for sure that I am happily married and don't mind being called it, be respectful and call me Ms. Even happily married, theONLY time I have ever welcomed that was when I was first announced as Mr and Mrs Him and her Brixen.

I'm on this website for me. No one else
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,198 Member
    Options

Is it kosher?

It could be
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Why does her username here mean she's not "her own person"?

Are you a wife and mother?

I'm a wife, and I listed him as one of my inspirations.

I guess I don't get what the big deal is. Or what a user name really suggests about someone....
    Or why we care. Just as we don't care if someone's thighs or waist or boobs are their profile photo. Does that define them? Is that who they are?

signed: vincesloveslave:laugh:
    How's what?
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options

Oh now you're just spoilin' for a fight... <goes to get popcorn and wait for the fun to begin>
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

I don't see anything wrong with it. Being a wife or mother is an honorable and important role.

Frankly your implied denigration of something so staggering important by suggesting that people are selling themselves short by identifying as one is sounds more sexist to me than someone picking a screen name with 'mom' in it.

It basically comes across as "Oh you're a Mom? meh, what ELSE are you? Come back when you can put Scientist in your screen name."

Stop telling people who are perfectly happy that they're oppressing themselves. It's obnoxious and misguided.

No. Being a good mother is honorable. Getting pregnant and having a child is easy, especial given medical advances.

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

That's kind of the point of the social sciences man. To look into why we work the way we do. No one said anything about telling people they're oppressing themselves, just that it's guided by an underlying patriarchal system.

Ignorant comment is ignorant.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

I'm with you on that one, but I'm afraid all the Jared'sMommy234's will swarm and get angry.

I think maybe people have no imaginations. I hate to think that they really do need to define themselves by men. I don't really have any on my FL, but not for that reason. I think a lot of those types don't particularly flock to a profile like mine. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of friends who are awesome moms and are super proud of their kids and post about them. And that's totally cool. But I think it's a bit reflective of the loveliness of patriarchy when people define their online selves by their kids/husbands.

But how is this any different from identifying themselves by food, sex, or television? If they enjoy those roles enough to identify with them, it could simply be a reflection of their enjoyment of those roles as opposed to a specific ideology. My name has squat to do with Catholicism, any feelings or beliefs about actual nuns, or even about the character in the book/movie I took it from.

because people dont lose their identity to a show, food etc... they do lose their identity to people.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options

I wholeheartedly agree. I think it's a loss of identity. They've drowned in the role they have taken on. I know how that feels, but having your own name on a website just may be the way to regain your lost 'me'.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options

Oh wow! We have a new winner for pathetic. Ow wow........like wow

LOL! Obviously it doesn't REALLY define me but I save all my creativity for my kids and husband, so iPhone date it is!
This discussion has been closed.