Female users with 'mommy' or 'wifey' in name

Options

Replies

• MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Edit: forgot to hit quote

"Women should not call each other momma, I think."

Thats your opinion. For me and my close friends, it's a term of endearment.
  • sophiemama
    sophiemama Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My daughter's name is Sophie so I'm Sophiemama ;) why? because I tried about 50 different variations on here with my name and it didn't work! My name is Amber, guess how many Amber's there are!? A lot! ehh I love being a mommy, I'm not sure why it matters.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I just changed my name for this thread. I am feeling very subservient now. Thank you.

:laugh: I like it!

My husband once joked about joining mfp just to respond to someone and he said he would need a name that went with mine, so he was thinking either: Massive Gravitational Field (you know, to go along with Binary Pulsar) or just BinaryPulsar'sHusband.
  • salladeve
    salladeve Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    thisthreadme.gif

Oh my that is really funny! how would you like to be that guy?
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me at all. Different things mean different things to different people.

For example - in Australia - "Norm" is a big fat lazy bloke. There's no way I'd have Norm in my user name on a fitness site, but to you OP, it is probably your name, or means something else entirely.

Each to their own!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    And yeah, you can define yourself as you like. But wouldn't UpperMiddleClassWhiteWoman say something about how I saw myself, especially in relation to the world around me? It's not about what you "like", it's about how you identify. And making the most obvious aspect of your identity being your role as a mom or wife says something about how you choose to identify yourself - through a man.

What about single moms who got pregnant through artificial insemination or chose to become pregnant knowing they wouldn't have help from the father? I know it sounds terribly cheesy, but I think when people choose a screen name about their kids, it's usually just that they love them that much or get the most fulfillment from their role as mom. Some people thrive on being nurturers. Others thrive on being CEO's. We need 'em all.

I apparently identify as non-dairy milk. But if I had only one pet, I would have chosen my pet's name. When I fill out paperwork that actually identifies me, I use my full first and last name, and when people address wedding invites to Mrs. His Name, I be sure to RSVP with both of our full names.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

Can't agree with that, unless of course you are not good at being a mom or dad. The average mom will put more blood, sweat, tears, pain, fear, time, and money into raising a child than someone will getting a PhD.

Agree to disagree. I'm not going to go into why getting a PhD is a greater achievement because I know I'll step on some feelings, especially in a mom abundant thread.
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I find it funny what people choose to concern themselves with.
  • technobunny
    Options
    wasn't the "feminist" movement to allow a woman to make a choice for herself? whether a woman decides to work/or stay home, take her husbands last name, hyphenate it, keep her own...it is her choice. no one should get their panties in a bunch over what a woman chooses for herself. now if someone was forcing her to have mommy or wifey in her handle, that would be a different story. it is their choice to identify with being a mother (if you are a mother, you know it is a game/life changer) and maybe she wants to scare away the creeps with the wife thing. she's just doing her, no matter.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I've never thought about this before this thread

You need to get out more bro!
    Get out more? I'd have to be smoking pot to come up with a question like this.

Is it legal in SC?
    Sorry I can't talk to you. Because of Norv Turner, I hate that name.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

Sincerely,
    LiftingMOMMY
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    I just changed my name for this thread. I am feeling very subservient now. Thank you.

If you really had the subservience down, it would have been BiancasBish.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I'm with you on that one, but I'm afraid all the Jared'sMommy234's will swarm and get angry.

I think maybe people have no imaginations. I hate to think that they really do need to define themselves by men. I don't really have any on my FL, but not for that reason. I think a lot of those types don't particularly flock to a profile like mine. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of friends who are awesome moms and are super proud of their kids and post about them. And that's totally cool. But I think it's a bit reflective of the loveliness of patriarchy when people define their online selves by their kids/husbands.

But how is this any different from identifying themselves by food, sex, or television? If they enjoy those roles enough to identify with them, it could simply be a reflection of their enjoyment of those roles as opposed to a specific ideology. My name has squat to do with Catholicism, any feelings or beliefs about actual nuns, or even about the character in the book/movie I took it from.

because people dont lose their identity to a show, food etc... they do lose their identity to people.

Are you sure? I didn't lose my identity when I married wife. I added another aspect to it, as did she. Obviously our relationships change us, but so what? That doesn't mean we've lost our identities. They're changed by that as much as they are changed by jobs, hobbies and anything else. Can someone chose to lose their identity to a spouse or child? Sure, but that's not always the case, and it seems a bit silly to me that we could presume it to automatically be so based on no more than their profile name.

did i say you did? i believe the OP is talking about the cases where people do lose their identity to another person.

I only used myself as an example of the other side. I went back and re-read the op, and it could be that you're correct, but I didn't see any differentiation between those who do and those who don't. All I saw was the presumption that all who include those particular words in their names have automatically lost their identities, whether by choice or not. It just seems like there's a lot of presumption of motive with little more than a profile name to go on, which seems silly to me.
  • Naomi0504
    Naomi0504 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    76d31508_c851d40e_Derail_1.jpeg

Sincerely,
    LiftingMOMMY

LMAO!
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    And yeah, you can define yourself as you like. But wouldn't UpperMiddleClassWhiteWoman say something about how I saw myself, especially in relation to the world around me? It's not about what you "like", it's about how you identify. And making the most obvious aspect of your identity being your role as a mom or wife says something about how you choose to identify yourself - through a man.

What about single moms who got pregnant through artificial insemination or chose to become pregnant knowing they wouldn't have help from the father? I know it sounds terribly cheesy, but I think when people choose a screen name about their kids, it's usually just that they love them that much or get the most fulfillment from their role as mom. Some people thrive on being nurturers. Others thrive on being CEO's. We need 'em all.

I apparently identify as non-dairy milk. But if I had only one pet, I would have chosen my pet's name. When I fill out paperwork that actually identifies me, I use my full first and last name, and when people address wedding invites to Mrs. His Name, I be sure to RSVP with both of our full names.

Good lord. You missed the point.

And I'm not going to touch that you chose your pet's name as your username with a 10 foot pole. Of course you don't identify with your dog as your identity or a food product. My gawd! Some people need to take an intro to sociology class stat! Please learn how the world around you works. Otherwise we cannot debate. Thank you.
  • DoingItMyOwnWay
    Options
    It can be relevant if you want to friend other people in a similar stage of life to use a handle that tells something about yourself. If you include the word 'mommy' then I know the person might be someone I have something in common with if I have kids at a similar stage - and that person could relate to the particular challenges I face getting exercise fit in, for example. If someone has the name of a sport in their handle and I like the same sport, it makes me more likely to click on their profile and see if I should send a friend request. Same for handles mentioning professions, hobbies, ages, locations, philosophies, etc.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Agree to disagree. I'm not going to go into why getting a PhD is a greater achievement because I know I'll step on some feelings, especially in a mom abundant thread.

Probably a good call! (That sounds bishy no matter how I read it, but I meant it good-naturedly. To clarify, I'm not knocking the work, commitment, passion etc that goes into a PhD or other postgraduate degrees. I don't post specifics about my personal life, but I am proud of my accomplishments and the work that they required.)
  • love being a mom and wife. I love being a fruit fly.

You're my favorite.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I don't care either way I worry about myself, makes things easier. But, I'll tell you what, after 5 lost pregnancies if I ever do have a child you better believe I'm going to talk about it!
  • She_Hulk
    Options

I don't see anything wrong with it. Being a wife or mother is an honorable and important role.

Frankly your implied denigration of something so staggering important by suggesting that people are selling themselves short by identifying as one is sounds more sexist to me than someone picking a screen name with 'mom' in it.

It basically comes across as "Oh you're a Mom? meh, what ELSE are you? Come back when you can put Scientist in your screen name."

Stop telling people who are perfectly happy that they're oppressing themselves. It's obnoxious and misguided.

No. Being a good mother is honorable. Getting pregnant and having a child is easy, especial given medical advances.

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

That's kind of the point of the social sciences man. To look into why we work the way we do. No one said anything about telling people they're oppressing themselves, just that it's guided by an underlying patriarchal system.

Ignorant comment is ignorant.

Getting pregnant and having a child is easy??!! Having a degree is BETTER than being a mom?! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me you didn't just say that!
This discussion has been closed.