Options

Replies

• polarsjewel
    polarsjewel Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    << knows her place
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options
    I'm going to change mine to "NormInvsWoman"...now you want a sammich?
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just for the record, EccentricDad is still here. I was missing his antics so I searched his username...still here. Go read his "About Me"

To respond to the OP. I belong to the tribe of the Positif, a very elite group of the awesomest of the awesome.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I'm with you on that one, but I'm afraid all the Jared'sMommy234's will swarm and get angry.

I think maybe people have no imaginations. I hate to think that they really do need to define themselves by men. I don't really have any on my FL, but not for that reason. I think a lot of those types don't particularly flock to a profile like mine. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of friends who are awesome moms and are super proud of their kids and post about them. And that's totally cool. But I think it's a bit reflective of the loveliness of patriarchy when people define their online selves by their kids/husbands.

But how is this any different from identifying themselves by food, sex, or television? If they enjoy those roles enough to identify with them, it could simply be a reflection of their enjoyment of those roles as opposed to a specific ideology. My name has squat to do with Catholicism, any feelings or beliefs about actual nuns, or even about the character in the book/movie I took it from.

I think the point of the post was about the popularity of these usernames and the reflection it has on society. There are more ____'s mom and Mrs.____ names than names about paternal roles or roles as a husband.

And yeah, you can define yourself as you like. But wouldn't UpperMiddleClassWhiteWoman say something about how I saw myself, especially in relation to the world around me? It's not about what you "like", it's about how you identify. And making the most obvious aspect of your identity being your role as a mom or wife says something about how you choose to identify yourself - through a man.
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I'm not too sure.

Perhaps the people who use names like that, are the kinda people that wouldn't shut the hell up in real life about their kids. You know the kind.
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,302 Member
    Options
    I'm going to change mine to "NormInvsWoman"...now you want a sammich?

pure love for you
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    thisthreadme.gif
  • NormInv
    Options
    thisthreadme.gif

LOL
  • MommaChocoLatte
    MommaChocoLatte Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I personally dont care one way or the other. Mine isnt really because Im a mom per se. I have a friend who calls me Momma just because Im a girl lol. I call all my close girlfriends Momma whether they have kids or not.

This username in particular was given to me by one of my son's a few yrs back mainly because I like chocolate. He thought was being cute putting an emphasis on the ending of chocolate.. now it just reminds me of Starbucks so it kind of stuck. Partially it is because I am a mom but not solely.
  • makenoexcuses
    makenoexcuses Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I don't personally mind it but I can see why some users find it annoying.

Being a mom or someone's wife does not really define who you are as a person -- or well it shouldn't.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

Can't agree with that, unless of course you are not good at being a mom or dad. The average mom will put more blood, sweat, tears, pain, fear, time, and money into raising a child than someone will getting a PhD. I'm not saying one is better or the other. I believe people should put their energy where they are best suited. But I strongly believe that being a good parent is an amazing achievement. I have the utmost respect for good parents, because so much of their lives are now defined by the needs of another person.

People have pets' names as screen names too. I have my pets' names as other screen names, because it makes me happy to think of them. My pets may be in charge, but they are not the patriarchy either, and I know who I am as a woman, an employee, a wife, a friend, a daughter.
  • NormInv
    Options
    I personally dont care one way or the other. Mine isnt really because Im a mom per se. I have a friend who calls me Momma just because Im a girl lol. I call all my close girlfriends Momma whether they have kids or not.

This username in particular was given to me by one of my son's a few yrs back mainly because I like chocolate. He thought was being cute putting an emphasis on the ending of chocolate.. now it just reminds me of Starbucks so it kind of stuck. Partially it is because I am a mom but not solely.

Women should not call each other momma, I think.
  • lilbearzmom
    lilbearzmom Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    When I became a mom, I did become someone else. I didn't lose my identity entirely, but I was not the person I was before my child, I am lots of things, but being a mom is my most important job and forever will be.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    How do you feel about that? I am not sure how I feel. Why cant a woman be her own person on a fitness website? Why does she have to define herself as a mommy or a wifey? I dont see any daddios or hubbies!

I'm with you on that one, but I'm afraid all the Jared'sMommy234's will swarm and get angry.

I think maybe people have no imaginations. I hate to think that they really do need to define themselves by men. I don't really have any on my FL, but not for that reason. I think a lot of those types don't particularly flock to a profile like mine. Don't get me wrong, I have tons of friends who are awesome moms and are super proud of their kids and post about them. And that's totally cool. But I think it's a bit reflective of the loveliness of patriarchy when people define their online selves by their kids/husbands.

But how is this any different from identifying themselves by food, sex, or television? If they enjoy those roles enough to identify with them, it could simply be a reflection of their enjoyment of those roles as opposed to a specific ideology. My name has squat to do with Catholicism, any feelings or beliefs about actual nuns, or even about the character in the book/movie I took it from.

because people dont lose their identity to a show, food etc... they do lose their identity to people.

Are you sure? I didn't lose my identity when I married my wife. I added another aspect to it, as did she. Obviously our relationships change us, but so what? That doesn't mean we've lost our identities. They're changed by that as much as they are changed by jobs, hobbies and anything else. Can someone chose to lose their identity to a spouse or child? Sure, but that's not always the case, and it seems a bit silly to me that we could presume it to automatically be so based on no more than their profile name.
  • Tessyloowhoo
    Options
    I would much rather have an "awesome_strong_mummy" on my friends list than an "ana_smokes_&_dietcokes"... just sayin
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say I've never thought about this before this thread

You need to get out more bro!
    Get out more? I'd have to be smoking pot to come up with a question like this.
  • NormInv
    Options
    Just for the record, EccentricDad is still here. I was missing his antics so I searched his username...still here. Go read his "About Me"

To respond to the OP. I belong to the tribe of the Positif, a very elite group of the awesomest of the awesome.

10/10 would hang!
  • NormInv
    Options
    I can honestly say I've never thought about this before this thread

You need to get out more bro!
    Get out more? I'd have to be smoking pot to come up with a question like this.

Is it legal in SC?
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

because people dont lose their identity to a show, food etc... they do lose their identity to people.

Are you sure? I didn't lose my identity when I married wife. I added another aspect to it, as did she. Obviously our relationships change us, but so what? That doesn't mean we've lost our identities. They're changed by that as much as they are changed by jobs, hobbies and anything else. Can someone chose to lose their identity to a spouse or child? Sure, but that's not always the case, and it seems a bit silly to me that we could presume it to automatically be so based on no more than their profile name.

did i say you did? i believe the OP is talking about the cases where people do lose their identity to another person.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options

I think the point of the post was about the popularity of these usernames and the reflection it has on society. There are more ____'s mom and Mrs.____ names than names about paternal roles or roles as a husband.

And yeah, you can define yourself as you like. But wouldn't UpperMiddleClassWhiteWoman say something about how I saw myself, especially in relation to the world around me? It's not about what you "like", it's about how you identify. And making the most obvious aspect of your identity being your role as a mom or wife says something about how you choose to identify yourself - through a man.

I agree with this. But it's no surprise. That's how society is, MFP is no different.

What I don't understand is how everyone seemed to know you were supposed to pick a cool user name. When I joined I thought it was just the name you signed in with. Still trying to figure out what to change it to, unfortunately I don't really identify with anything...
This discussion has been closed.