JBearsMom21 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Because I'm a mom... :huh:

I'm not really a chocolate bear

Are you sure?
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Being a mom is "what I do". But I've never thought it necessary or even possible to boil a person down to a one-word definition. I started going by "mom of many" when I first joined a parenting e-mail list back in 2001... I've kept the same username everywhere I go. Keeps things easy to remember. :smile:
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options

Lies, lies, lies.

I melt in your mouth not your hands wait what
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What is your feeling regarding mac & cheese in one's screen name?

You're obviously subservient to Mac and Cheese. Please become your own person.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

most average people off teh street have a very small chance of completing a PHD program. lots of average people raise kids all the time.

Because of opportunity. If people were given the same assistance in getting a PhD that they get when having children, it would be easier to compare and contrast. You don't have to apply to be a parent. You just have to not screw up enough to get kicked out of the club.
  • Stump_Likker
    Stump_Likker Posts: 2,059 Member
    Options
    Well I'm a terrible mother so I would never tout that achievement.
  • PaleoChocolateBear
    PaleoChocolateBear Posts: 2,844 Member
    Options
    What is your feeling regarding mac & cheese in one's screen name?

You're obviously subservient to Mac and Cheese. Please become your own person.

Deep down inside we're all subservient to Mac and Cheese
  • BluejayNY
    BluejayNY Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    All I can say is you will always be a mom, but you might not always be a wife.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    When I became a mom, I did become someone else. I didn't lose my identity entirely, but I was not the person I was before my child, I am lots of things, but being a mom is my most important job and forever will be.

+1
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

most average people off teh street have a very small chance of completing a PHD program. lots of average people raise kids all the time.

Because of opportunity. If people were given the same assistance in getting a PhD that they get when having children, it would be easier to compare and contrast. You don't have to apply to be a parent. You just have to not screw up enough to get kicked out of the club.

maybe for some low level social science degree but for degrees in science/math etc....an average person has little chance. but like i said before an average person has a much greater chance of being able to raise a child.
  • JustAboutDelicious_wechanged
    Options

Lies, lies, lies.

I melt in your mouth not your hands wait what
    Let's try both.
  • Momf3boys
    Momf3boys Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I have no issue with it :laugh:
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I resort to mrs so and so .. or lalas mom when I cant come up with any other username on websites...
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :drinker:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

maybe for some low level social science degree but for degrees in science/math etc....an average person has little chance. but like i said before an average person has a much greater chance of being able to raise a child.

But is that really greater achievement if based on innate intelligence? Of course it's an achievement. It may make the person smarter. But the average person isn't going to land a magazine cover or have elite sports level abilities. Those people have gifts and have to put the effort in. A role that's more common and accessible doesn't make it less of an achievement. I know I worked for my education and career, but I know my friends that are parents work way harder than I did.
  • Soulpaint
    Soulpaint Posts: 33 Member
    Options

You really can't compare the achievement of being a PhD to being a mom.

Can't agree with that, unless of course you are not good at being a mom or dad. The average mom will put more blood, sweat, tears, pain, fear, time, and money into raising a child than someone will getting a PhD.

Agree to disagree. I'm not going to go into why getting a PhD is a greater achievement because I know I'll step on some feelings, especially in a mom abundant thread.

wow. SMH :laugh:
  • She_Hulk
    Options

But is that really greater achievement if based on innate intelligence? Of course it's an achievement. It may make the person smarter. But the average person isn't going to land a magazine cover or have elite sports level abilities. Those people have gifts and have to put the effort in. A role that's more common and accessible doesn't make it less of an achievement. I know I worked for my education and career, but I know my friends that are parents work way harder than I did.

This!!
This discussion has been closed.