people talking behind my back at the gym

Options
I was working out at the gym today minding my own business when a lay comes in and asks to speak with me alone. She told me a bunch of the girls in spin class on Tuesday were making fun of me because i sweat a lot and smell like it after my work out. My response was duh!! They then went on to say they bought me a bunch of hygiene stuff. I take showers i can't really help it that i sweat a lot. I don't know am i being to sensitive? She said they were laughing at me as well. I feel like I'm in school again.

Replies

• Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Forget them, they don't matter in life.
  • rAc_hEl
    rAc_hEl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Ended up eating poorly because of it. Ugh i should have done that
  • mandasalem
    mandasalem Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Why did she feel the need to share this? If I were her, I don't think I'd be validating their childishness by directly passing it along. If they don't sweat, then they are either not doing the exercise or they have some serious issues.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I was working out at the gym today minding my own business when a lay comes in and asks to speak with me alone. She told me a bunch of the girls in spin class on Tuesday were making fun of me because i sweat a lot and smell like it after my work out. My response was duh!! They then went on to say they bought me a bunch of hygiene stuff. I take showers i can't really help it that i sweat a lot. I don't know am i being to sensitive? She said they were laughing at me as well. I feel like I'm in school again.

Um let it go.... When I hit the front door of the gym, I am there to do my thing and I could care less what is going on around me. Ignore them..... it is not worth your time and effort to stoop down to their childish level...... Best of Luck
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    First - wait until they give you the shower stuff because free stuff :tongue:

Then next, report it to the gym's manager as harassment.

Last....go about and kick butt as usual...sweaty and with a grin :)
  • VeganLexi
    VeganLexi Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to sweat when you exercise :/

Yeah, get the free stuff though :smile:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    First off, please don't make poor eating choices because of the ignorance of others. Do NOT let them have that power over you. Same with the "high school" crowd at the gym. If you take a daily shower, shower after you work out, wear deodorant, wash your work out clothes and you know there's not a medical cause - find a new group to work out with. Maybe during work outs you might use a clinical deodorant/antiperspirant. They are a little more expensive, but worth a shot.

Good for you for working out. Don't let anyone deter you from your goals.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Wait, people bought you hygiene products because you stink after sweating from exercise? They're crazy. Stinky sweat is fairly normal. Give 'em one of these:
    tumblr_mtn9r1YVKn1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

What. The. Fudge?

Is sweat supposed to smell great now? Is sweating a bad thing? I...buh. guh....NGGG.

Can't take it. Screw them.

I look like I've been running in the rain and generally smell awful after I lift. I wasn't aware that was noteworthy.
  • cdahl383
    cdahl383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Who cares about them, they sound like losers if all they have to do at the gym is talk about other people. I wouldn't sweat it (no pun intended haha).
  • Tahitidreamz
    Options
    I would have invited her to take a whiff then proceeded to tell her if she or they have an issue with you it was a nice day for an outdoor boxing class with you as the teacher. Sweetie don't let vultures steal your joy and don't allow them to force you to go backwards. You keep doing you. And let those buzzards know you have a friend that plays poker that lays her knives on the table as a wakeup call. Nerve of some people.!
  • stillnot2late
    stillnot2late Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Ended up eating poorly because of it. Ugh i should have done that

oh no you didn't!!:laugh:
  • Avandel
    Avandel Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    If they worked out their bodies as hard as their mouths, they'd sweat too! And I would have told them that as well. lol! but that's me!
  • aetzkorn14
    aetzkorn14 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm an easy sweater.....So at the gym I look like a faucet but IDGAF cause I am there to workout. All the girl that do their hair and makeup and never break a sweat aren't there to workout in my opinion. Regardless of what the girls say in that class busting your *kitten* is attractive to most male gym rats so I say give it your all. In the end you are there for you!:smile:
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Well, it was good to have the heads up so when they do confront you, you will take the stuff with a smile and say thanks! I like previous advice about reporting them, but I don't know how effective that would be at a gym. They might get on you worse if you report them and nothing comes of it, but they find out. Who knows.

Fling some sweat on them... you know, "accidentally".
  • Tahitidreamz
    Options
    You're supposed to sweat when you exercise :/

Yeah, get the free stuff though :smile:

Lol I'm with you I would have given them an expensive order.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wow that girl is a bully and her little snippy friends are too. I think you should report their harassment to the management at your gym. I'm not kidding. You're probably not their first target.

You're an adult. You're paying to be there and you have the right to sweat when you work out! And they have no right to harass you. You're not in High School P.E., you have a gym membership, and you shouldn't have to put up with that.

That girl wasn't trying to help you. She was trying to hurt you.

Sounds like, mission accomplished, and you really need to report them to management.

I'll tell you the truth though. This is why I work out home. When I push myself to really do my step aerobics, I do not want anyone else seeing me huff and puff, jiggle with the fat on my body, and get all sweaty. You're brave enough to go to the gym and exercise in front of other people. My hat's off to you, and you don't deserve that crap.
  • catita1025
    catita1025 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    You're there to focus on you! Don't be swayed or bullied into changing your good habits! Keep up the good work and ignore them. At the end of the day you need to be satisfied with what you've done. Oh yeah...and I come home from the gym my husband asks about my workout. I laugh and tell him. "I'm sweaty and stinky - cool, huh? Thanks for kissing me anyway!" :D
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well, it was good to have the heads up so when they do confront you, you will take the stuff with a smile and say thanks! I like previous advice about reporting them, but I don't know how effective that would be at a gym. They might get on you worse if you report them and nothing comes of it, but they find out. Who knows.

Fling some sweat on them... you know, "accidentally".

Because complaining/reporting it covers you in case something else occurs and who knows. Might get a free month or two out of it.

But make sure you get the stuff first as proof.
  • JanMarie2BHealthy
    Options
    Buy a bunch of nose plugs. Wait until you get the free stuff. Be gracious and tell them "thank you and I have some little gifts for you too!" and hand over the nose plugs - oh wait, maybe muzzles would be better..... Tee-hee. Actually just ignore them - not classy on their part and you are there for you. :)